Distinguished members area

Surfingant

Wow... some very robust discussion and members allowing others to have their say with not too much dooming on their ideas.

To tidy a couple of questions up. A 'real email' address would be one given to you by your ISP service provider. It might be B.SMITH01@optusnet.com.au as opposed to bazzasmithy@hotmail.com. It might make people a bit more accountable, but on the other hand would rule others out (including me) who no longer have an ISP.

I think the original idea or as I understood it was to have AFO remain exactly how it is today, but there is an option to pay a fee which would allow access to additional threads where only paying members can post. Hopefully those who pay would have enough self regulation to not need monitoring to any extent, and the money would go to offsetting some of the costs of maintaining the site.

I like the idea.... what would I pay? $30 a year would be my cap I reckon.

Sorry I dont like the idea at all. The crap gets weeded out pretty quick I think. This is a community forum and myself and I think others like it because anyone can join and participate no matter who they are. None of us would even have the opportunity to even have an opinion about this topic if the forum was only for "Elite Members". Start your own "Elite" forum with only "your mates" in it if thats what your after. You could call it " Brisbane up ourselves fishing online" or "We are too good for you fishing online"

Artifishal's post sums it up, well said.

I'd prefer an extinguished members area.

All the ex or soon-to-be ex members are locked in, and are able to post their rubbish without inhibition.

Regular members couldn't post. Just watch.

I reckon you could sell tickets.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

hahaha thatd would have fantastic entertainment value...

I think we just try and rebuild the culture of the site, thats all it needs, there was a lot of rubish going on but also a couple of months of bad weather that could have a bit to do with a lack of posts, plus people can be busy coming up to christmas, its a great site, if we stay respectful, keep a sense of humour, not be too precious and socialize, we'll be fine.

Perhaps I should retract most of what I said in the previous post!

Why... was not this thread started/put up, to find/gauge opinions on the subject, after all, some will be for it, some will be against it, some will not care and others like me will be pondering who I cheesed of this week :ohmy: :lol:

Why... was not this thread started/put up, to find/gauge opinions on the subject, after all, some will be for it, some will be against it, some will not care and others like me will be pondering who I cheesed of this week :ohmy: :lol:

Yeah that's pretty much it, Whether people love or hate the idea I just thought it would be interesting to hear opinions. If you like it cool, if not then that's cool too as everyone has their own opinion and it definitely wasn't an attempt to create an us vs them or elitist environment. I think the fact that others have thrown ideas into the mix is fantastic. By the sounds of it everyone is on the same page and wants the site to run along smoothly without the crap so I reckon we are on the right track. No need for segregation. And Gad you haven't cheesed anyone off :lol:

Brisbane 'up ourselves' fishing online.

Do I need to go on?

Personally I'm not real keen on the idea. Reasons being the following;

1. Creates an "us" v "them' mentality

2. stifles robust debate

3. will difinately have a negative impact on member numbers, post numbers, threads etc

4. "Elite" members can/could miss out on great contributions from new members due to restricted access

5. Loses the friendly, informative, educational community feel

6. There is a real possibilty that new topics/discussions could be consistently opened in the restricted section leading to inactivity and dead threads populating the rest of the site

7. People like myself would have diminished opportunity to meet,learn and fish with fantastic people like Carter and Freshy :-(

I was, and still am, really happy I found this site. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have joined if it required a membership fee. How would I know whether it was worth the money or not? There are plenty of pay sites that are horrible when u actually get to see them after joining and I am quite sceptical of forums that require money to simply participate in discussions of a common interest.

If members post baiting/trolling posts then the answer is moderation. Consist bad behavior should result in a temporary lock of posting privillages (1 week perhaps?) such as "the penalty box" on www.whirlpool.net.au, repeat offences result in account removal.

Problem solved ;)

Brisbane 'up ourselves' fishing online.

Do I need to go on?

No... unfortunately some terminology from both the for and the against,has had the fan affect and sprayed on areas it wasn`t aimed at

Archived