Distinguished members area

Surfingant

Just an idea I'm stealing from another forum, but what about an area on the site for the guys that just want to shoot the breeze without the stupidity that has been going on. Apply to an admin or moderator for inclusion and you are free to add to the discussions as you wish, any stupidity and you're out. I know we already have general chat but I'm noticing a lot less participation from a few of the regulars and thought this might be a good way to get people talking about fishing and life in general again and not worrying about the stupid politics.

Cheers,

Ant.

Another idea touted last night was only registering with real email addresses instead of hotmail ones etc so you have authentic people registering. I don't have a real email address now I connect using my phone, so something else to think about.

JUst bouncing the ideas around.

Disagree with this one, for someone like me/kids who can't really do anything but hotmail?

Wouldn't mind an established members section, as long as I was invited ;)

oh and no tomcat :whistle:

Booty would you mind explaining further what a 'real email address' is as I seem to be clueless?

Just had a thought (but have no idea if it would be do-able from an IT perspective) - what if, for instance, I didn't generally like the posts of Persons X, Y and Z (in other words I thought they were jibberers) - would it be possible for each individual member to choose which members posts they don't wish to see? Would save valuable time and if it was set up correctly you could still view a thread but it would simply be minus 'crap' comments.

Just a thought.

Could not be more against this.

Sounds like high school or something? I deal with people I can't stand all day could you imagine telling your boss " Ok I'll work with him,him and him but sorry can't work with him, him and her.

Life and the world does not work like that and as metioned there allready is the ability to make seperate groups what more does everyone want?

I gaurantee in 12 months of this little elite club there will be massive s@#t fights anyway.

What a load of BS!

I would however be open to paying a small fee for the longevity of the site.

Cam

There is the ability to create exclusive groups on this website. Take the "AFO Old Boys Group" and "AFO Wanderers" for example. To learn and view more of these please visit the "Community" Tab at the top of the page and scroll down to "Groups".

Some are frequented by their members regularly.

As to not seeing peoples post, I have to agree with those in the negative. Just like the real world more trouble is probably caused by peoples inability to ignore and skim over than actual inciteful posts themselves. Its a classic primary school psychology of giving an attention seeker exactly what they want.

As to a membership fee... This has been considered, but not to the exlcusion of anyone. If one was introduced it would be more inclined to offer the payee's additonal benefits (less subjugation to google adverts, a fixed discount in the store, ability to use the classifieds section) as opposed to create univeral restrictions (except maybe the classifieds section). In any case if this was ever imposed it would be kept at an extremely achievable minimal fee.

Angus

I personally think this is a bad idea. The site has moderators to remove posts that break the site rules and policies. If you dont like what someone has said then ignore it and scroll down to the next post. Replying to those posts only drags out the stupidity. I have seen other forums on the net do similar things to this and it results in members who dont post as much but dont do anything wrong feel left out so they leave. When I joined I loved that everyone no matter how little they post was still excepted with respect and kindness. I think by starting a "click" will discourage new members to stick around.

I think the moderators do an excellent job already and we should just leave the site the way it is.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheer

Bead

I was heavily involved with a car forum and they did this. Ruined the site, number of active members more than halved in 6 months. If your really keen on stamping out the crap, nip it in the bud mods...lock topics quicker, hand out warnings quicker. Hand out harsher warnings.

Creating another group for select members only will just create riffs.

Small fee I'd be happy to pay. I love this site, learnt a hell of alot, met great people and had awesome experiances.

I agree the moderators do an exceptional job of keeping out the crap, it's part of the reason I'm still here and not on a few other forums. This wasn't a suggestion to try and exclude newer members or ones that don't contribute alot, it was more a case of excluding the ones that seem to just want to start arguments. Perhaps the title should read "No BS area"

I am all for paying a fee for a site that personally I gain alot out of with the knowledge base and people I have met through the site, other sites I will cancel my membership before paying. The "real" email address idea I probably don't agree with as the mods will quickly work out who's who but I like the idea of being able to exclude some people's posts, I could exclude that Ellicat fellow :P

I am aware of the existing groups but seeing as I still see myself as a newer member of sorts I don't feel that it would be right of me to ask for inclusion in something such as the AFO old boys group which I believe was created for the guys that have been around since near the start. What I was thinking was something along the lines of a group that everyone can be a part of, new or old but leave the egos at the door.

I suppose it just seems to be happening more frequently and as much as we'd all like to ignore it can be hard to, I enjoy reading what others have to say but I don't enjoy watching a thread go to the crapper. There are alot of members on the site now and it has to be getting harder for admin and mods to sort through it especially seeing as there seems to be only two active moderators.

I'm 50/50 on this. At the end of the day it depends on how the boys and girls up top want to run things. christophagus's comment about the car forum might be true but there may also be legal implications for doing so. in a previous car club i was exec'ing for we became CAMS affiliated for race days, insurance purposes, etc. so we did need to have both financial and non-financially committed members.

A suggestion could be to open up a sub-forum/extra posting privileges/whatever for those that have competed in X amount of AFO comps/events. Make it visible to all members with a very strict set of guidelines, 3 strikes and you're out. No cross posting, doubling of topics into open sections, etc.

This will allow all members to still be partially involved (i.e. ability to read/but not post) as well as give some incentive for them to participate in comps and the community if they feel like they want to get involved.

The problem with asking for a 'joining fee' is that users become financially invested and everyone will have a different opinion in whether they feel they are getting 'bang for buck'.

I think what Brian (and the other mods) now is fine, he doesn't do anything else anyway.

Eug B)

Definitely an interesting topic/debate ! I too am 50/50

I am an active contributor to AFO but lurk on a couple other forums and you will find the same issues in those forums as discussed here in this thread.

If you wanted to create a "distinguished members area" then perhaps a model is created where you pay to subscribe to AFO. You then enter a forum that has paying contributing members and you're most likely to remove some of the trouble makers / rubbish content.

You can still maintain a free section however it may be limited in terms of options to use i.e. reports only no other discussion topics.....?

Having said that there will always be a situation whereby someones opinion will differ from another and well you will still get threads tarnished by negativity etc....

If more people from the site attend the events & social gatherings then it will build a stronger online community as more people get to know each other & so on, otherwise it's hard for some people that just stay online but don't really know the people behind the comments they can be taken the wrong way sometimes

For me I like the site because of the fishing reports and related topics that provide me with knowledge or better insight in to techniques etc... and some of the humor as well - I hate the political type topics and threads which 9 out of 10 time will end up in tears

In short, AFO doesn't have enough troublesome members to warrant any change.

Members just need to learn to bite their tongue and hit the Report to Mod button.

Imposing a fee would see a diminishing membership. A new member to the forum would be less likely to stay aboard if they were denied the good stuff. I wouldn't have met most of the members that I have if there was a fee I'm sure. I doubt people like Youngy would have bothered either.

If you'd be happy to pay a fee to keep the site going then what's stopping you donating today ? Click Donate on the front page.

In short, AFO doesn't have enough troublesome members to warrant any change.

Members just need to learn to bite their tongue and hit the Report to Mod button.

Imposing a fee would see a diminishing membership. A new member to the forum would be less likely to stay aboard if they were denied the good stuff. I wouldn't have met most of the members that I have if there was a fee I'm sure. I doubt people like Youngy would have bothered either.

If you'd be happy to pay a fee to keep the site going then what's stopping you donating today ? Click Donate on the front page.

i love summaries :)

i agree, the is good, just need to make ellicat work harder

i am all for donation or attending a comp to help afo out, hence why i donate if i cant matke a comp, but puting a fee on it will break its back as new members might get scared off.

yes their are members out their who start arguments, and people that cause arguments. people who dislike one another for what ever reson.

i have had my far share of critament from other, but if you let that bother you then the door is open. at the end of the day it is a comenity forum and you will get your over zelous type.

whether it is negativity, jealousy or critasisim, you will get it on every forum, and at the end of the day if you dont like something, dont coment or if you have to p.m them oersonally, and always give credit where credit is due.

arguments also happen on paid subscription forums. also causes an uproar if someone was banned even though they've paid to join.

at the end of the day the owners and the existing forum users are the valuable commodity which the sponsors and new users look for. by cutting off new potential members you limit the ability for the club/forum/etc. to grow and expand. the owners and mods can only guide the general flow, well being and mentality of the forum. i think this can be best achieved by encouraging/accepting new members to join BUT to also get involved. it was great to see runty, ryang & co join in on the brc - i think many of us would agree with that.

random p.s. freeloaders using the classifieds annoy me still so there may be a way to give regular members perks by only allowing them to advertise their wares. this will also create a 'safer' member base to work off as most should know of each other by then. alternatively trader ratings (like ebay) might help.

Leave it the way it is if its not broken dont fix it.

I may be a bit sick but I always look forward to the school holidays when the young blokes get bored and decide to have a bit of a stir.

I just tried to find the indooroopilly cobia thread but cant locate it.

Must admit I do bite at times but when you look back at some of the old stir posts they are really good for a laugh and we usually learn something from them.

The world would be a really boring place if people didnt think outside the square.

Cheers

Ray

simple solution would be that if someone's being a tool or deliberately trying to bait people - don't bite. no pun intended. just don't give them oxygen, or ignore them. it's an online community so in some ways it's going to mirror the real community - ie. there'll be some idiots and people you disagree with. deal with it like adults. and if someone's being a tool, don't descend to their level

it just sounds childish.....and it goes against one of the things i like about AFO which is that it's inclusive - no matter your political persuasion, age, gender, ethnicity etc. we even let poms post on here - what would they know about fishing! :)

Lots of good points have been raised, I do agree with the old adage that if it ain't broke....

I really just wanted to see where people stood on the matter and I think that has been achieved. With regards to the classifieds, I am on a forum where users need a certain number of posts to be able to list or reply, but then you'll get alot of copy and paste ;) Perhaps when making a listing a box could pop up asking if you would like to make a donation to the site before the ad goes up? Maybe limit the number of ads one can post if no donation is made. Who knows, I'm just bored and throwing out ideas. Maybe we should be encouraging more crap for the entertainment factor haha. Or we could all just go fishing?

Lots of good points have been raised, I do agree with the old adage that if it ain't broke....

I really just wanted to see where people stood on the matter and I think that has been achieved. With regards to the classifieds, I am on a forum where users need a certain number of posts to be able to list or reply, but then you'll get alot of copy and paste ;) Perhaps when making a listing a box could pop up asking if you would like to make a donation to the site before the ad goes up? Maybe limit the number of ads one can post if no donation is made. Who knows, I'm just bored and throwing out ideas. Maybe we should be encouraging more crap for the entertainment factor haha. Or we could all just go fishing?

Quit your bitchin and come catch some bass!

got onto a few on surface this morning, was a bit slow though :dry:

Quite your bitchin and come catch some bass!

got onto a few on surface this morning, was a bit slow though :dry:

Ah I think you'll find it is quit not quite :P

Yep discussed last night at a 'members only' bbq. Also touted was the idea of a membership fee to help the site continue running and keep the riff raff out.

Yeah i aggree with you there. at least the people who pay will be the ones who post and not sit around trying to steal ideas and not contribute to the site and to other members...

Archived