Mermaid Beach 7th July 2007

Angus

Well John (Webmaster), Tanya and myself cruised down to the Goldy saturday afternoon to stay at Johns mums place. The plan was to fish Saturday arvo, dinner at the surf club and then do the boat show the next day. Pretty ideal weekend really.

So at about 4:30pm, armed with out trusty Alvey's we headed off down the beach. Beach worms were apprantly scarce so we did purchase these, but John managed a few Eugaries from the beach to suppliment these for bait. As we were after mainly some whiting these were the only baits used.

The whiting were not going balistic as they have in recent weeks. But we did manage enough for a feed. The only irritation was the multitudes of Dart around that happily taste tested our baits.

All in all a satifying way to spend an afternoon.

Angus

TanyaJohn.jpg

Johnny and Tanya, surf Rods in tow.

Tanya-1.jpg

Tanya. Its amazing how peaceful it is despite the urban sprawl so close.

Typical.jpg

Typical Whiting.

30cmWhiting.jpg

30cm Whiting

JohnnyShimano.jpg

Johnny going for sponsorship :P

Dart.jpg

These little critters made off with most of our bait.

Last.jpg

John with the last whiting of the day.

Oh well, If it wasn't for the pesky dart, some days at the beach would be very quiet.;) A nice way to finish the holidays with a spot of fishing.

Angus, I noticed two people were suitably dressed for the season, but what's with you in just a T-shirt ? That Scottish heritage is showing:huh:

Hahaha.

Funnily enough Ellicat i actually thought when looking over these photo's \"what the hell was a thinking\".........

It was chilly, but not freezing.

If prefer to be in wet shorts and t-shirt than a wet jumper :P And thanks to the wind and surf i was pretty wet.

Angus

My family owns a place at Mermaid Beach and this is where I spent much of my holidays fishing. Usually I use live worms and eugaries and it isnt long after they hit the water that you will have a nice whiting or dart on your line. The dart can be great fun on light gear, especially if you find a patch of bigger guys.

I have always loved how you can be fishing and feel like you are out on a remote beach and then look to your left and see hundreds of high rise hotels just up the beach.

I remember one cold morning I was out fishing right in front of the surf club when down came about 6 guys from the lifesaver club with surfskis and fishing rods. They launched and would simply troll back and forth just past the breakers and reel in tailor after tailor. Most had some great size to them too.

Mermaid Beach has always been a great fishing spot, it might have something to do with the reef found directly offshore which can be found each morning by looking for the fishing boats and charter boats.

Great report Angus!!!

Its hard to beat a feed of freshly caught whiting for breakfast or dinner.

-nelson-

Where is the picture of my fish? that is the question.

The boys were not as threatened as usual with my fishing expertise as I certainly had an unfair advantage. Over the last few months I have been perfecting my soft plastic usage (light gear of course) so here i was thrown this heavy, dusty rod which had obviously been fashioned in the 1950s(not taking into consideration recent advancements).

Dusk was approaching and there i was in a cute outfit with waves crashing as i attempted to cast into fish filled waters. My pursuits were in vain as i came up empty handed. (Could be due to the fact i could only manage to get the line a few metres out in front of me).

It was however a great afternoon, I must have enjoyed it as i didnt realise how cold i was. When we returned to the unit i required a stiff scotch and a serious hot shower. I think the scotch was more effective.

Stay tuned for future fishing with Tanya. muahaha

Archived