Squid

jewiehunter

mate firstly welcome to the site! And nice jewie!

Funnily enough there is a local squidding article on the front page at the moment.

Dazza McGee and Jimmybob are prob one of the good bets to start with as far as questions go.

But the locations i have gleaned are:

Bongaree Jetty

Ningee Creek (Jimmybob was saying one of the last times he was there the weeds in the creek were chockers with squid eggs).

Wello Point Jetty.

Amity Point Straddy &

Dunwich Straddy.

Im no pro by any means mate, but these are decent places to start.

Are these squid for big jewie bait?

Angus

g'day confused...by far the best squid spot in the bay is the weed banks just off tangalooma and bulwer...calm side of moreton...drift over them and ya should get loads.....;) ..hey does any one else eat the heads?..or am i crazy?:S

I always eat the heads as well. But it depends on how im cooking them. For good old BBQ squid, heads are fine. Eye balls get boiled out of them in a matter of seconds anyway. And the beaks are easily removed while cleaning.

Whever we stay at straddy for the local fisho sells fresh squid cheap everyday. We quite literally have bbq squid most nights with whatever we have caught.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/07/14 09:10

Yeh there's nothing better than a squid head bait :)

Gang 3 hooks, squid head on the first hook and a pilly like usualy on the rest, with the tentacles like draping over the pilly. The old squid-pilly combo is usually a big hit.

Cheers, Joel ;)

Hi Confused,

Basically the entire inside length of moreton island has got weedbanks in patches and all of those weedbanks have good supplies of squid. Usually you find them in water from 2m to 8m deep. Honestly there would be no more than a 800m stretch anywhere on the inside of Moreton that does not have some weed areas. they may be against the shore or offshore a few hundred metres.

Between bulwer and cowan it is uninterupted weed beds and the southern 6 km is too.

Archived