Brissy River and SPs

Chrisso

Hey Guys,

I'm new here and am going fishing with my dad on Sunday. We'll probably try the Brisbane River for the first time in our 4.2m tinny.

I'm just wondering where the best places to fish with the SPs would be? And any ideas on where to focus away from the deeper spots? I'm thinking the mouth of the river, somewhere near rockwalls (which are somewhere near the river??)? How far down does the salf water go too?

Also would brighter colours be a better go (e.g. lime green lures)?

Any help appreciated. :)

Welcome to the site.

At the moment I'd put money on the entire river below colleges crossing being salt, been a good 3 weeks since we had any rain.

If you launch from the boat passage at the mouth, head in towards the river, directly across the river is the \"sunken wall\" with boggy creek behind it, this is a popular fishing spot and worth a shot if the wind is not up. Good chance of some Bream.

Otherwise further up just look for rock walls, and bream should be found this time of year.

Mate welcome aboard!

As feral said the salt is right up river over 100km due to the lack of rain. If your launching in the lower reaches hit any rocky structures. These include obviously the Sunken Wall, but dont hesitate to try the rocks that run all the way from the mouth of breakfast creek to bretts wharf. This area has produced bream, flatties, squire, threadfin salmon, cod, jacks and even some big GT's in very recent times.

Id say bright colours might go well, or gukps with scent. But in saying this my favourite SP's tend to be the natureal ones.

Good luck mate!

Look forward to hearing how you go.

Angus

Also, if you want to go in abit, try the areas around the Gateway bridge, and also alomost directly under it. Lots of structure and rocks around that area.

Lots of very decent squire have been caught around there lately.

Sweet! Thanks heaps fellas. Lots of ideas. I have been really keen to try the Gateway Bridge for ages.... since I got my license in a course and the guy who ran it showed us the fishlife on his sounder under there. I'm also really keen to try along the rockwalls I've heard a little about, and you guys recommended. I havn't checked my beacon to beacon (sorry I've been lazy), but do you guys know if they are more to the mouth of the river (just thinking about how sheltered they are or aren't)?

Also how far off the rockwalls do you recommend I bounce the soft plastics? In a depth of 4-5m or is there some better way of attacking them? (I tend to end up jagged and stuck so matter what I do near rocks haha)

Thanks heaps again guys. I used to post on a few of the fishing forumns years ago when I was at school, when school wasn't that important. But then life took over etc, but I'm trying to get more fishing in with my dad nowdays...

Depends what your fishing for really. I'm no help with squire, but if your fishing for bream cast a lightly weighted sp(1/40th - 1/20th) up into the shallows of the wall and hop it down the rocks, thats boat based tho. or You could try use the angles and cast it farther ahead of your boat and bounce it along the rocks back to your boat hoping the fish slightly deeper than your sp get attracted to the Plastic and come up for it.

If you get that :S bad explanation!

Yep, Mack_attack it was Archie.

Thanks heaps Tim a. I tend to use a bit too much jig head weight (mmm like 1/2 hahah which I think scares the fish) in the shallows.

I'm looking forward to giving at least the bridge a go since we'd probably put the boat in near the hockey centre. I'd need something seriously heavy for the bridge idea wouldn't I? Maybe my 1/2 ounce jug head cast up current 10-15m then bounce through?

Thanks for the interest guys.

Depends, if your casting at structure like the rocks, too heavy and you'll get snagged, too light and it won't get near the structure(where the fish USUALLY are.) So 1/2 would be way too much for that I'm thinking, depending on how much current and how deep the structure it is, the faster the current and the deeper the structure the heavier the head. Somewhere betwee 1/16th - 1/4th I'd be thinking. For the deep water around the bridge its a bit weird, I've only been there in a boat twice, once with cliffy and once with another mate, with cliffy you could have fish lures fine, but with my mate the current was sooo hard your lures wouldn't have got down. So yeah depending on how strong the current is, usually affected by tides I believe, You'd wanna use around 1/2 maybe even heavier if currents going nuts. Be ready for a jew tho as I have this sneaky suspission there are some around there.

Well I'm not an expert at this by any means so if I'm wrong, you can karma me all you want, someones already got rid of a good bit of it.

Cheers guys.

Archived