Slugs & Bass......?

Angus

Hey y'all.

Just wanted to throw out a question to those that have been catching bass on Slugs.

Do you retrieve like you were fishing for tailor or trevs (hard and fast). Ir do you retrieve as if your using a heavy plastic is bursts?

Also to those using them often, Dinodadog, Troy, Nelson etc, could email me the subtle details in detail to my AFO email account. angus@australianfishing.com.au

I am thinking of doing an article on Slugging For Bass. Ill make it a front page article. Ill submit it for Bush & Beach as well and it might get published. After all i have seriously never heard of bass on slugs anywhere else but here :)

Oh and please email me you best bass and slug photo's. As Billy The Kid said \"Ill make you famous\" :)

Angus

I have heard of them using slugs in magazines before Angus sorry to spoil it for you, but mainly they talk about vertical jigging them like you also do with ice jigs so not much said on casting from the bank hopping them off the bottomso cant wait to see your article Dinodadog should have some good advice and pics he has nailed heaps on them

I started using slugs the day Troy, Tim and me hit North Pine for an arvo session. Jackalls, G-Vibes and SP's were catching their fair share of bass, but once the wind picked up Troy started nailing them with slugs in the shallows. I decided to switch to a slug but lost it after only one bass. I went out and bought a few more and back to the dam I went a few days later. I have used a range of techniques to varying degrees of success.

The first goal is to get the lure out as far as you can. Numerous times I have been hit on the drop, not always hooking up. If this is the case a few jigs after the slug hits the bottom and usually you will be on. If the bass are being more picky I will use this same technique followed by a slow roll of a few metres before a few more jigs. This is repeated until I reach the shore or hook onto a bass.

The bass seem to tap the slug similar to the way they strike at a soft plastic, before hitting and running with it. Often the slug will be tapped for the entire retrieve and if it doesnt hook up successfully the bass have a tendancy to come back for another hit.

Saying this, I have also been hit while retrieving the slug at a much faster pace and even hit one afternoon on my \"last cast\" while I was quickly bringing the lure in once I thought it was in too close.

The slugs seem to catch the smaller bass of the school as my friend and me can be casting in the exact same spot and the slug will usually bring in the smaller bass compared to Jackalls.

Hope this helps!!!

-nelson-

adventure_angler wrote:

I started using slugs the day Troy, Tim and me hit North Pine for an arvo session. Jackalls, G-Vibes and SP's were catching their fair share of bass, but once the wind picked up Troy started nailing them with slugs in the shallows. I decided to switch to a slug but lost it after only one bass. I went out and bought a few more and back to the dam I went a few days later. I have used a range of techniques to varying degrees of success.

The first goal is to get the lure out as far as you can. Numerous times I have been hit on the drop, not always hooking up. If this is the case a few jigs after the slug hits the bottom and usually you will be on. If the bass are being more picky I will use this same technique followed by a slow roll of a few metres before a few more jigs. This is repeated until I reach the shore or hook onto a bass.

The bass seem to tap the slug similar to the way they strike at a soft plastic, before hitting and running with it. Often the slug will be tapped for the entire retrieve and if it doesnt hook up successfully the bass have a tendancy to come back for another hit.

Saying this, I have also been hit while retrieving the slug at a much faster pace and even hit one afternoon on my \"last cast\" while I was quickly bringing the lure in once I thought it was in too close.

The slugs seem to catch the smaller bass of the school as my friend and me can be casting in the exact same spot and the slug will usually bring in the smaller bass compared to Jackalls.

Hope this helps!!!

-nelson-

i found that too we were getting much smaller bass on the slugs like all 30 to 35 then we have been getting on the crankbaits and plastics

Thanks guys.

What weights and appearance do you all find preferable? Usually of course i would aim to immiate the natural food sources, but with gar and bony bream of varying sizes in the dam, im sure the food sources & sizes would be quite varied.

Angus

I was out there yesterday with a mate and about 20-25 Bass were caught between us with 1 on a Jackall and the rest on slugs. My mate also caught one on a slug with a Pearl White Search G-Vibe hanging from its gob with what felt like a meter of 8lb leader to a Fireline Crystal double. Anyone lost one with that tackle attatched lately? :P .

Nothing big was caught either with the biggest being around 40cm. But I have seen a 52.5cm fork pulled in by another mate that session last week they were going off and I have caught a few fish close to the 50 mark on them so they still do get the big ones. But honestly it has been hard to get anything over 50 lately at North Pine, on any type of lure. Give any lure time and they will get the bigger ones.

I have been using 10, 20, 25 and 40g slugs over the past few sessions and I have found that even rat Bass will nail a 40g slug 2 or 3 times before hooking up to a lure more then half its size so it's possibly a reaction bite. Though if it was a reaction bite it's usualy just a solid whack and if you hook up then good on you but if you don't they just leave it. I guess you could just put it down to their aggressive nature.

I have found that the length rather then the weight of them is the main thing to match up. When you're Bassin', a few of them usually spit up their meal upon landing them. If you put a Boney Bream next to a 20-25g slug it's no wonder they want them so much. A good picture in an article may be a pic showing a comparison of the 2 next to each other?

Although they work I don't like using 40g slugs because they find every snag on the bottom of the dam, I lost 2 in about 20mins after they bumped off about 5 snags every retreive.

10g slugs are good, but only with spin tackle as you can't cast them far with baitcast. I've also found that good sized Bass will readily hit and deeply inhale small slugs, 10g's are about 2-3cm. Lighter slugs also sink much slower so you get many more Bass on the drop.

As for retreives I usually just cast it out and let it sink, many Bass will hit it as it's sinking just after the cast. You've got more chance of this happening if you keep the tension tight between the rod and lure as it sinks much slower. If it doesn't get taken on the drop I give it a long slow lift with the rod tip, followed by another. Then let it drop back down to the bottom and repeat.

If I get a hit that doesn't hook up I just let it drop back to the bottom, reguardless of where I am in my retreive and twitch it a few times then let it sink back down again. They very very very commonly come back for it after the first mis take. If I don't get hit again after the twitches I just continue my normal reteive.

Colours don't seem to matter either. I have used chrome slugs with blue, green, yellow, and pink strips and all have caught fish. I have also used slugs that were down to bare lead on well over half of the lure.

Also as I'm not high speed spinning for Bass I change the hooks on them as the original hooks are chunky and thick since they are designed to be strong and penetrate with the aid of speed. Also once those hooks go in, they are very hard to get back out, which is not always good for Mr. Bass. I swap them with Owner Stingers.

Slugs that have worked for me have been Surecatch Knights, Gillies Pilchards and Spanyids in both the Raider and Maniac versions.

Another good reason to use them is because of their cost factor. $25 can buy 1 Jackall or about 5 slugs. I don't even bother with other lures now.

I have also seen in one dvd, anglers using slugs to vertically jig schools of Bass, but have heard nothing about casting and retreiving them. Even if it has already been talked about I don't think it will matter much, they still talk about Soft Plastics and Hardbodies in magazines regardless of how old and known they are.

Gus, what are you and your digital camera up to this weekend? :P . Are you thinking what I'm thinking :silly: ?

Ash To answer your question, yes they are the same slugs used on Tailor and Macks and the like. It's just a change in retreive.

Troy

Troy mate. Looks like the conditions are going to be to blowy for the bay and mud as i had planned. Want to hit NP with ASH and I. I picked up some 15-25g slugs today in various shapes.

I would be interested as you pointed out to get some good photo's of what bass spit up etc as well. That makes more interesting reading im sure you'll agree.

Angus

Angus,

You,ve been living in a cave haven't you!:)

The first article published in a national magazine on slugging bass was in the Feb 1999 issue of Fishing World. The technique was red hot for a couple of summers before the novelty wore off. Now its just another string in the bow of the complete bass angler.

Here's a photo from that first article. (If I can work out how to attach it.)

P.S. My best bass slug is the 35g Lazer with the green prism tape.

[img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/scan_6_500pxl.jpg

post-108-144598422057_thumb.jpg

Well you managed to attach the photo just fine!

Living in a hole i am i guess. :blush:

But i have only been fishing lures of any discription for under 2 years.

On the plus side, not sure if you read the Np 2207 report, but a few of us from here about 100 bass in a couple of hours sunday land based at North Pine. All on slugs! Good morning.

Angus

Schultzy wrote:

The first article published in a national magazine on slugging bass was in the Feb 1999 issue of Fishing World. The technique was red hot for a couple of summers before the novelty wore off

Cast and Retrieving slugs? I've only really ever heard of vertically jigging. But you say Summer, but they are usually more scattered out in Summer.

Troy

Hey Brian plastic mans name is Andrew not Stu he only wishes haha

I've got a barra raider 6-10kg but have not used it yet saving it for a barra trip hopefully when it warms up a bit

Post edited by: STU, at: 2007/07/25 17:09

Sorry guys but you are joined at the hip or is that the tackle box?:pinch:

Ha. Not sure which one I offended more so to the biggest one \"sorry\" and to the other one :P

And so webby doesn't get to ticked at me here's another b on s [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/h2-72e2b9dd20b7d910825d894814dd1a0c.JPG

post-118-144598422114_thumb.jpg

Archived