SAT NAV - WHICH ONE ???????

Bri The Pom

Hi guys/girls

I will be looking to buy a sat nav as soon as i land mid august. Never used one before,can you recommend one, i need it to be accurate and reliable and easy to use.also please state any brands to stay away from.also state how much you would expect to pay,so i dont get shafted.

Many thanks

Bri.

Don't know if it was the sat nav itself or the map but we were using a cheap one from WOW and it led us on a wild goose chase taking all sorts of off ramps only to later have to join back up on the same highway. The more expensive ones might be more intelligent but this one seemed to just draw a straight line from a to b and make you drive every road in between.

Post edited by: Dan23, at: 2007/07/26 15:45

Brian

If you are looking for one for road use also check out the costs of upgrading your maps. For navamn and garmin they are tightly controlled by the manufactures and costs around $300 and they can only be used to upgrade one unit for navman and 2 for garmin,as you have to get an unlock code for each unit. I dont know about other brands.I actually got my navman on ebay from the uk and was able to purchase it with european , newzealand and australian mapping for 2/3 the price of buying it in Australia but there is a lot more competition in the market now and I can purchase a new chinese made one now for almost the cost of upgrading my maps.

Ray

Ray

If you but like a middle of the range GPS, like around $1000, how accurate would you expect it to be? Like within 10M everytime?

And would $1000 get you one that you could key coordinantes into?

I have no idea about GPS but I would like to get one soon to mark spots around the bay etc.

Joel ;)

Nastymind wrote:

No disrespect Oceandonkey, but Satelite Navigation Systems don't find fish. Sonar/Depth sounders do. But you are right there when you ask \"For what purpose will you require the GPS or Chartplotter, Bri the Pom?\"

I was just testing to see if anyone would pick up my mistake :whistle:

its these all in one untis that got me confussed.

I have a $600 garmin obone that gets me within the range you speak of everytime. the only time ever ever that i have had a problem is when taking exits on freeways for eg klump road where the pacific highway meets an overpass whilst staying on the off ramp.... 3 levels of road that all cross each other its quite understandable.... its only whilst you are in the position that it goes a bit weird...prior to that you just zoom out and it shows you the path of travel.

it takes prob 3 seconds after you have made the wrong turn to recognise this and another 1 second to recalculate your journey from your current location

I have the Navman F20 that I use for home and work stuff. Paid $400 for it and got a $50 cashback from Whereis.

It puts me within about 2 car lengths of whatever address I put in to it if it recognises the street number.

The only critism I have about it is when entering in addresses it displays an ABC keypad on the touchscreen instead of a QWERTY keypad. Was told that may be changed with an upcoming software issue.

Couple of tricks we have worked out with it, disable all other State maps in it other than the State you are in. That way you search by street name and it will only display the streets for the State you have selected. Also go to the navigation menu and change it to fastest route, otherwise it draws a line between point A and B and takes you on roads to make the straightest line (which means 100000 left and right turns) and thats not condusive and 140kmh!

We looked at them quite a bit with work and that model was the best cost effective/functional unit.

Cheers

Having had both garmin and navman units I found the garmin more user friendly but when you make a wrong turn you gr]et a american female voice saying \" off route recalculating\" several times and she ignores you when you say i know you stupid b!tch.

The navman has a few extra features in that you can add in your own waypoints and speed camera locations etc and you have a choice of male and female voices for the spoken directions. My friends in the uk had a tom tom and they had both pamela anderson and billy connoley for their voice directions and it was a reall hoot to hear a broad scottish accent saying \" wrong way you stupid F##ker\" Pamela wasnt quite as rude.

Ray

obone wrote:

If you but like a middle of the range GPS, like around $1000, how accurate would you expect it to be? Like within 10M everytime?

Joel ;)

Here is how it works. If you can get JJJ on your radio, your differential GPS should give you sub 1metre accuracy, if you cant get JJJ on the radio, expect sub 10metres.

Why's that you ask? because JJJ carries the correction signals for differential GPS's!

Get Mio Digiwalker with MIOMAP .. much better inferface than TOMTOM or NAVMAN and its a PDA... you can also run other software on it if you want .. I have TOMTOM on mine just for the cool voices.... but I have a dozen friends that have put the MIOMAP software on thier NAVMAN as it is heaps better.....

MIOMAP is the same as IGO if you want to google them....

Bri,

Anaconda is on the pacific hwy, next door to Ikea. Take exit 23 from either direction and you`ll find it no worries. We are an outdoor adventure store and I work in the water dept. Just ask for me. Im the only Michael there. I will look after you the best i possibly can. Are you after a nav. system for marine, topo or street use? Or all?

I have got today and tomorrow off work. Unfortunately for me, retailers get the worst weekends. Even if you are a full timer. I`ll be back in the shop starting Saturday.

Hope to see you soon.

Rgs,

Michael

Michael

You got a deal, be with you approx August 24/25th. We want one to find roads,streets for viewing houses job interviews etc,so i presume just and road sat nav.

See you then.

Many thanks

Brian

ps

Outdoor adventure store,water dept sounds good.

Also many thanks to all that replied your help is really appreciated.

Tight lines.

Archived