fishing with medical conditions

James W

being a diabetic, a bit more preparation goes into planning my fishing trips. can be a bit of a drag sometimes and staying 100% for the duaration of a extended fishing adventure doesnt always happen for me. i was wondering if there were any other AFO members that were diabetic or had other medical conditions that they have to take into account when going fishing?

Call me a Hypochondriac but I got several.

I got di-vatic to Faulked. I think I developed mine after I finished training from poor diet during my fitness days. Too many protein bars and meat and not enough electrolites and good carbs, not to mention all the supplement crap I swallowed.

I also got the Shultzy bug and the Feral diasease along with one other called workalotatimis or workawaytoomanyhours. Not to mention I am too fat.

Sorry Jimmy, I shouldn't make light of the thread, I don't know whether to count myself lucky or feel bad for you, I think me lucky (you don't need my Sympathy). But it does make me count my blessings.

I know its not a medical condition, but being of fair complexion, i suffer from sun stroke and dehydration very easily. I've always got make sure i have loads of water and cover up like a vampire if im out in the middle of the day. And bring along lots of panadole to squash any migrain like headaches i get from the sun. Thats kinda why i try to mainly fish early morns or at night!

Feral wrote:

I am quite a bad asthmatic, But all I have to do is make sure I am carrying spare medication.

Also means that I can be slow if I am shore based, cant exactly walk fast or long if the old lungs are playing up! Have to pace myself.

I not asthmatic ... but i have the same problem feral.. I am a bit on the heavy side (read fat bastard) so walking around lond distances and on soft mud flats can be an issue...

I don't have any thing bad that I know of, but a friend is badly alergic to any sea creature stings. I once got stung 7 times by one Happy Momont, but i kept on fishing and the pain left after a couple of minutes. But he got stung by one spike, and half his arm swelled up and lasted for 2 or 3 days. He also gets sun burnt really easily. Probably could get burnt from the UV being reflected off a moon at night.

Angus wrote:

acute case of what-the-hell-was-i-thinking-drinking-the-night-before-a-dawn-fishing-trip-itis.

However it comes and goes. :)

Angus

This is quite a common problem amungst fisher people, footballers and the male gender as a whole. Feral has the cure and it's called a strong will mixed with tea. It looks like you'll be suffering for a few more years yet Angus:P

fat bastard,crippled foot,asthmatic and a heart condition for me.

just means walk slow and try to stick to level ground when landbased(no more rockhopping BOo-HOO)and keep a couple of emergency items and a phone in the pocket for just in case

i'm fine as long as i take my pills every day

if i collapse and die while fishing i'll die a happy man.

Angus wrote:

Every now and again i suffer from an acute case of what-the-hell-was-i-thinking-drinking-the-night-before-a-dawn-fishing-trip-itis.

However it comes and goes. :)

Angus

Rosscoe get's me all the time :pinch:

wait's till I have a few then says let's do an overnighter in his tinnie :blink:

But I found a solution :side: take more beer and let him drive lol

We still have fun :P

Gaz

Mick wrote:

Feral wrote:
I am quite a bad asthmatic, But all I have to do is make sure I am carrying spare medication.

Also means that I can be slow if I am shore based, cant exactly walk fast or long if the old lungs are playing up! Have to pace myself.

I not asthmatic ... but i have the same problem feral.. I am a bit on the heavy side (read fat bastard) so walking around lond distances and on soft mud flats can be an issue...

Well I got the fat barstad issue as well mate! :P

Mick wrote:

faulked wrote:
i have di vaticularitus and need a toilet handy quite often it can be a reel drag but i still fish twice a week or more

Burley.....:whistle:

nothing beats balancing on a bucket offshore in a tinny thinking your gonna die any second whilst hurling over the side mmmm great :laugh:

Post edited by: faulked, at: 2007/08/16 06:48

unfortunatly i am what the governemnt call 'handicapped' and find it very hard to get a decent days fishing in with the handicap being my girlfriend. after all the treatments i have been through to help cure this disability i still havent been able to get a parking sticker.

I know what your thinking, \"i dont care....lifeline does go tell them\" But for every minute that passes that you dont donate $1 to the sight a child dies.....your not a child killer are you?

Oceandonkey wrote:

unfortunatly i am what the governemnt call 'handicapped' and find it very hard to get a decent days fishing in with the handicap being my girlfriend. after all the treatments i have been through to help cure this disability i still havent been able to get a parking sticker.

I know what your thinking, \"i dont care....lifeline does go tell them\" But for every minute that passes that you dont donate $1 to the sight a child dies.....your not a child killer are you?

so what you are saying is if no one donates you will be bring the berley for noosa in small skinsack form :unsure:

Feral wrote:

Your so caring Oceandonkey!

:)

Wait until you fat lazy and old! Although I supose you'll blame the new ailments I have then on being ancient and decrepit! :)

Don't forget senility Feral. Personally I can't wait until I'm senile - then I'll have an excuse!:P Also, not a care in the world.:) :silly:

Feral wrote:

Your so caring Oceandonkey!

:)

Wait until you fat lazy and old! Although I supose you'll blame the new ailments I have then on being ancient and decrepit! :)

:woohoo: that i am mate

im putting all my eggs in the science basket and planning on fatness having a cure and lazyness being a form of relaxtion.

and who knows in 30 years time i probably wont even have to go fishing....ill just get my robot to go and tell me about it. :cheer:

• 2 weeks later...

Cliffy wrote:

Oceandonkey wrote:

im putting all my eggs in the science basket and planning on fatness having a cure and lazyness being a form of relaxtion.

Great news - fatness has a cure!! Drink less beer, more scotch (less calories, quicker effect :whistle:)!

On the other issue, what d'you mean about lazyness!? As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing more relaxing than stretching out on the couch watching Rex on the telly (with a scotch, of course)!<br><br>Post edited by: Cliffy, at: 2007/08/31 11:06

Archived