Biggest black king i have ever seen

tugger

Went fishing today with Gary and Lance along with 3 other AFO boats offshore around the top end of stradie with the weather reporting calm conditions we were not disappointed. The trip out across the bay smooth sailing we got to the bar very quickly and never slowed down much as there was no waves at all there.

After stopping to jig a bucket full of livies we noticed acres of tuna busting up so we spun a slug quickly to get a couple of the little mack tuna for bait then it was on to the fishing grounds. We anchored up and started to burley and on my first drop i hooked a good snapper going 64cm so things were looking good.

The boys slowly started to put some good pan sized snapper in the box around the 40cm but it wasn't the hot bite we were hoping for. I got a good sized parrot before it went quiet at the first spot so it was time for a move and we moved into my honey hole.

With burleying some more to bring them in we started to get some action in the new spot and moses perch, snapper and spangeled emperor all made their way in to the box. There was plenty of big bonito again out there so we kept 8 of them for fresh bait and some for the weekend coming.

Lance had his big rod take off and this thing was not slowing down Lance called it for a big black king and after a minute or so it surfaced and this would have to be the biggest balck king i have ever seen. It had a humpedback and was about the size of a bus Lance had it turned eventually with plenty of drag pressure so i got the harpoon ready but alas it broke him off and it continued on its migration.

There was a final move before the turn of the tide back out into the deeper water and we got another couple of snaps and a couple of unstopables befroe we called it a day. Back at home we had a few coldies and filleted the days catch, thanks fellas for the company it was a top day

Here's the end result

post-4390-144598846822_thumb.jpg

Nice work. Saw you guys out there. I had the two spearo's in the water around the rock.

On our way out to get some Dollies I nearly ran over a monster Cobia sunning itself. It was to late to stop and try and chuck a plastic at it but I did manage to not hit it. Looked like a log laying on the surface it was that big.

Nice work. Saw you guys out there. I had the two spearo's in the water around the rock.

On our way out to get some Dollies I nearly ran over a monster Cobia sunning itself. It was to late to stop and try and chuck a plastic at it but I did manage to not hit it. Looked like a log laying on the surface it was that big.

Wish I had realized it was you over there in that inflatable. Did you guys have any luck?

Again, a top day with Tugger. Beautiful day on the water and always nice to come home with a feed. Thanks again for the spot!

Wish I had realized it was you over there in that inflatable. Did you guys have any luck?

Again, a top day with Tugger. Beautiful day on the water and always nice to come home with a feed. Thanks again for the spot!

Not in anflatable. Was in a Hains Sig 550 bow rider, we turned up at about 1 and left around 2. I got in close to you guys. If I had known you were on Tuggers boat I would have come over and said hi.

We got 15 Dollies, couple grouper, drummer and 7 Mac tuna. We were mainly out to get the Mahi Mahi so all the rest were just a bonus.

good fish there again Mark. Hey I see the Bonito are bleed are you eating the bait Mark? :P:)

The bait is bled for me. Remember, yanks wouldn't know what good seafood is..... :P

I had a bit of it as sashimi last night. Had to threaten to cut off Peyton's fingers if he didn't stop stealing it before I could get the next piece sliced!

Hey mate that was us at the wave rider with the tinny while you were there. We saw that monster cobe as well.

Thats a much better esky than ours Mark..

We had a tuff day out there. Ended up with a feed of squire in the end.

We lost a few of good fish and alot of unstoppables. Im certain 4 of them was big cobia. Just the weight on them was incrediable. Gear couldnt stand up to them. The rest no chance of stopping then.

We should have left when you did. It blew up pretty bad. We got soaked coming back. Ended up chasing more tuna in the bay. More bait i guess.

Tikki i saw you guys next to the rock too. Looks like you guys cleaned up too. We were in the black centerconsole drifting around boat rock

Hey mate that was us at the wave rider with the tinny while you were there. We saw that monster cobe as well.

Aaaagh so it was you I had a chat with about if the guys had been getting any fish, did you guys eventually bag out, I only managed 2 and a king on hard bodies cause they had shutdown by the time we got there.

Thats a much better esky than ours Mark..

Tikki i saw you guys next to the rock too. Looks like you guys cleaned up too. We were in the black centerconsole drifting around boat rock

Next time I see you guys out there I'll come over and say hi. We did alright cause the main target was the Dollies.

Lucky Lance wasn't using lures when the cobia hit or his reel may have exploded. Was he using his rig for the unstoppables ?

Must have been nice to feel a fish on the line after the weekend Mark :pinch:

It was on bait Brian so my reel was safe. :P

Lucky too as it was on a new outfit I purchased just for stopping the unstoppables but again the plan failed,lol.

We were in quite shallow water when this happened and my bait was set directly under the boat yet we could not see this 40 ton cobe swim through so it goes to show what does swim through beneath a boat even in shallow water.

We would have got him too except Mark stuffed up the gaff shot :woohoo:

Thanks for another enjoyable day out Mark and thanks also Gary for the great company.

Yeah i think i remember that in fact it will be forever burnt into my memory

Ive heard reports of a lot of these big black kings being around out there at the moment, They are unstopable, I know this guy who works on the tugs who tried using 90/0 reef hook and gal chain to try and stop one last year using his boat as drag :woohoo: :P:P

Nice feed of fish guys,

Would not be surprise to hear or even see XOS cobia cruising with the whales at this time of year, i have seen the swimming with big manta ray at hutchies before , and i remember a spearo getting onein the 50kg bracket at combyuro pt which was leading a large pack of rays into the bay

Cheers

Josh

well lance 1 thing you need to remember it's not teds boat where it alright not to catch or loose fish and break rods lol and when are you going to land a fish lol but good to see you bloke got some gos fish even with out lances help :P:P:P:P:P:P:P pay back love it

Nice feed of fish guys,

i have seen the swimming with big manta ray at hutchies before , and i remember a spearo getting onein the 50kg bracket at combyuro pt which was leading a large pack of rays into the bay

My mates have been spearing at Hutchies and seen sharks in the 200 kilo range and cobia just cruising along with them in the 50 kilo range. Not worth shooting cause the sharks will get them on the first twitch the fish makes.

Nice feed of fish guys,

i have seen the swimming with big manta ray at hutchies before , and i remember a spearo getting onein the 50kg bracket at combyuro pt which was leading a large pack of rays into the bay

My mates have been spearing at Hutchies and seen sharks in the 200 kilo range and cobia just cruising along with them in the 50 kilo range. Not worth shooting cause the sharks will get them on the first twitch the fish makes.

Mind you at the moment there are some big sharks at hutchies too, i personally have never had a shark bother me while chasing cobia. I had the resident 12 ft bay tiger shadow a 34kg cobia at the the cpt neilson last year ... But the tiger did grab my next bay snapper i hooked straight after it."...

I don't have to imagine i know they would blow away 50, 80lb i've seen it many times over if you think you can bag some of the brutes give it a try

I cant wait to come across one of these so called unstoppables this one was caught on 30lb spiderwire, imagine if 50lb was used.

[attachment=54964]cobia.jpg[/attachment]

Haha i want to come out that day! After people have been using stand up game gear off the rock and not being able to stop them, im looking forward to the 30lb spiderwire report.

Nice Cobe!

ill bring the beer brad and we can sit and watch and see the 30lbs in action :P

sounds like a plan, I reackon if you can chase those big cobes in shallowish water without much structure you could target them on pretty light line, but the rock is a different story.

There is a nice one swimming around there too. Looked like he was 5ft and really solid. Only problem he was about 5m from the rock. Will take a bit to pull out but I'm keen :woohoo:

Spot on Brad they know where the narly structure is and take you around it sometimes they can make a rong move or 2 and you can land the odd 1 like that

sounds like a plan, I reackon if you can chase those big cobes in shallowish water without much structure you could target them on pretty light line, but the rock is a different story.

Im keen to have a shot at one ,, Got smoked on the weekend by on 2 at m2 in the bay using 60lb mono and 80lb leader . They where making a good 20-30m back to pole when hooked on 16kg of drag and thumbing the spool..... Bad cobia...... Good luck on 50lb i reckon.....

Might have to brake out the dynamite boys

Cheers

Josh

Hahahaha now thats a report I would love to see, dynamite cobia off boat rock! :woohoo:

The dynamite maybe the only way... The are some insane cobia about ATM, a mate on theboat with me lost 4 fish on 50 lb gear and he is a weapon on the rod.... Maybe 80lb this season might be the elephant gun we need to land these bad boys.... Might have to put the big fish special cam drag in the torsa 30 and set it at sunset and hang on ....

Hahahaha now thats a report I would love to see, dynamite cobia off boat rock! :woohoo:

Just remember to throw it AWAY from the boat. We dropped a match thunder a bit too close between two boats one day. Crazy how something so small can lift a boat out of the water :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

By the way, the bonito turned out to be pretty good eating. After doing up a bit as sashimi, I marinated it in a combo of 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup lime juice, and 14 cup melted butter for a few hours then grilled it on the barbecue.

It turned out quite nice for "bait." :)

Archived