Fudd … a tribute to Mr M Blanc.

kreel

From a very early age I've wanted to carve my own lures and I finally decided (with no training in the endeavour) to do just that. I also decided to stay true to my younger self and carve a lure that Elmer Fudd would be proud to use (hence the title of this post - Mel Blancs was the voice for Elmer and Bugs).

So undeterred by any knowledge of carving or for that matter wood, obviously I've seen the stuff, I believe they use it in house construction and the like. I went to the carpenters at work, many of whom are carvers themselves, for advice on the selection of the wood and the tools for the job.

I purchased a Dremel, a reciprocating chisel, a number of engraving and carving heads for the dremel and a carving knife. Next the wood …

post-2889-144598886835_thumb.jpg

Obviously I didn't need one quite that big … So we carved a hunk out of the middle of this one and set to work whittling!

post-2889-144598886847_thumb.jpg

In reality the guys at work gave me a bunch of off-cuts (Pear I think) and I set to work. Getting the basic shape was a b'tard - I wanted to whittle it down but the wood is very dense and finely grained (which is what I wanted to get the level of detail I am after).

post-2889-144598886854_thumb.jpg

By the weekend I had the reciprocating Chisel attachment for the Dremel and I was off (bear in mind that I live in a unit and we have no balcony or garden - we do however have a dining table/work bench).

post-2889-144598886862_thumb.jpg

late Saturday and it looks like a frog

post-2889-144598886868_thumb.jpg

post-2889-144598886874_thumb.jpg

Sunday midday and it looked a little better

post-2889-14459888688_thumb.jpg

Sunday afternoon and I'd had enough and wanted a break.

post-2889-144598886886_thumb.jpg

post-2889-144598886893_thumb.jpg

The project is nowhere near over yet. I will need to get the fixtures - bib, hook hangers etc and then check that it swims, make adjustments and then when I'm sure that it works I need to take the fixtures off, paint it, clear seal it, re-attach the fixtures and then I can cast it into the snags and have a good cry.

This may not be the sleek lure that we're all used to - its about me having fun and appeasing my younger self. I suspect that the next lure I make will look more like the ones in the stores but for now, in the words of Fudd:

Shhhhhhhhh I'm huntin wabbit … cod

post-2889-144598886899_thumb.jpg

You guys are so harsh, its modelled after my dear departed mother ...

rubbish. :evil:

And no Shortie I didn't model it after Jorgé your pool-boy/masseuse/rod-holder. :blink:

It has already been named - The "Fudd". Although I do like the "Mick" or the "Jagger", maybe the next one.

Binder: I'm going old school with this one - metal fixtures bib and hook hangers attached with screws. All advice welcomed though as I have said I come into this with no real or unreal knowledge.

Zim man: Cod is the target and if Damiki gets their order in early enough I should be able to create one or 2 of these a quarter. We can talk dollars later.

Archived