A FNQ creek

Keen-as-fisho

As some know I have just spent a week in Cairns looking for 'greener pastures'. Anyway made the most of it and took the boat. We fished the Baroon River, Trinity Inlet even went up to Port Douglas which I thoroughly enjoyed, no fish but just a nice friendly location with plenty of visual appetite pleasing anyway we caught basically bugger all at all locations, rat gt's, rat barracuda and a couple of handbags where the high lights :S

Yesterday was my last chance for a fish so while dad was following a few leads and doing quotes I had the privilege of joining Declan for a session chasing Sooties and Jp's. Full of excitement we made our way south of Cairns and into the hills for what turned out to be an epic day. We trekked our way through the thick scrub and into the pristine creek and no sooner dec was giving me a few pointers he was on to a nice jp :woohoo:

post-6136-144598904769_thumb.jpg

We made our way up just stumbling through the creek as the edges where far to thick at times and when the opportunity arose we walked the cane tracks along the creek. It wasn't long before my first hook up, a nice Sooty. For its size it gave a good account for itself :woohoo:

post-6136-144598904758_thumb.jpg

As we came to a junction we were to take the left branch but before doing this I put a cast in beside a sunken log in the opposite branch and got slammed by my first JP :woohoo: Followed straight up by a Sooty, both went hard and new exactly where to brick me.

post-6136-144598904775_thumb.jpg

post-6136-144598904786_thumb.jpg

post-6136-144598904795_thumb.jpg

The further up stream we went the more we caught and the tougher the trek got, plenty of deep pools to swim which was welcomed in the heat of the day. The Jp's got better and the sooties got thicker:

post-6136-144598904809_thumb.jpg

post-6136-14459890482_thumb.jpg

post-6136-14459890483_thumb.jpg

By the end of the session we caught roughly 30 fish between us and the best fo the day was my 40+ JP

post-6136-144598904839_thumb.jpg

post-6136-14459890485_thumb.jpg

Lures used were mainly surface lures such as rovers and sammies, tt spin jigs and the only 'small lure' I had in my kit Pontoon 21 Greedy guts 66mm SR, all my Bream gear is at home unfortunately. Thanks again Dec for the awesome day and showing me one of your hot spots I can't wait to get back up there again B)

Mate super jealous...Bloody cracker JP's mate. JP's are on my bucket list of fish for 2013. I know they are pretty common up Cairns way but unfortunately not as common down here in Mackay - a major reason why they are highly desirable. Awesome fish man. Thanks for the post...its given me new inspiration to get up to some freshwater haunts where I know they elusively reside, but have not yet come across one yet. This is the year

Cheers guys, I knew there would be a few jealous lol, personally I am jealous of dec staying up there. I don't know when I will get another opportunity to get back up and explore more of the area there are creeks everywhere. Here are some more pics.

post-6136-14459890489_thumb.jpg

post-6136-144598904897_thumb.jpg

post-6136-144598904906_thumb.jpg

We noticed a school of sooties on a snag while we were walking back to the car, we did roughly 9km for the day.

post-6136-144598904917_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic fish and photos Den and Dec - particularly like those underwater ones on the JP's. They have brilliant patterns on them and a bloody good size too - that 40+ is a serious fish in such skinny water.

Two quick questions: - come across many/any snakes?

- were you able to sight cast to any/many?

I soooooooo want to do some of that type of fishing one day. Very jealous!!

Archived