Measured mile - will my boat make it?

The Mad Hughesy

Hey all,

I'm wanting to go fish out at the measured mile mark for some mackeral and sharks. My only concern is if my boat will make it there and back. It's a 4.1m ally craft rhino with a 40hp 2 stroke on the back. Currently I have a fuel capacity of 45L. My main concern at this stage is fuel. Having never been out that far before in my boat, I don't want to run out of fuel...I'm thinking I will get another Jerry can and fill it up. Never have to much peterol I figure.

So I was just wondering about people's exp with going that far in a tinny, how much juice did u go through etc. how the boat handled it

Cheers

Chris

You should do it easily if you launch around the Brisbane River mouth or Nudgee area. I have a 4.2 with 40HP 2 stroke and just under 50L to get from Fisherman's Island to Moreton Island and back on a fairly average day (this also included going up to Tangas and chasing the tuna for a few hours). A bit of chop will obviously throw those figures out but you are well within your range.

It is a fair hike from the river so pick your days bud and you should be fine, i would imagine you would have a bit of a trek around out there so take plenty of fuel maybe you could g someone up that has been out there before to either take you in his/her boat or you could follow them out just to have a peace of mind if something does go wrong.

With ease mate

I used to take my 3.8m to moreton on good days

It's approx 7-9km from the mouth of the river

Flick me a txt a I will tell you how to catch the macs their

Also take a shark rod and when the macs go if the bite, fish for sharks. I usually turn the mackerel into whole baits lol

I will also tell you exactly where to anchor on each tide

I go from pinkenba boat ramp to the beacons for bait l, then to curtin overnight then back to beacons for Mack's and then the Sandhills for tuna and then back to pinkenba on around 30 - 35litres I have a 4.3 m rampage with a 40 Yamaha 2 stroke. The only thing I can recommend with a 2 stroke is pick your optimum cruising speed. If you run them too hard you will be absolutely mind boggled as your fuel consumption is greatly increased for the little gain. Measured mile will put a very small dent in your fuel tank.

Pat

With ease mate

Also take a shark rod and when the macs go if the bite, fish for sharks. I usually turn the mackerel into whole baits lol

I might try and pick your brain soon too Kurt - hoping to go there in the next couple of weeks. Was tempted yesterday as weather was good but had 3 in my tinny (30hp) and a late start so decided it wasn't worth it for the short-ish time period.

Are the schoolies around all year but just more of them in summer, or basically just over summer? And is there just one measured mile beacon or two?

Good luck Chris, looking forward to the report.

Chris, what's your tank setup like?

I carry two 25L tanks and will bring a 10L/20L jerry can depending. I'll go until the first 25L is gone then I know I'm at my half way point in terms of range (point of return). Switch over to the second tank and start making my way home. This is a simple way of monitoring usage without using a fuel gauge or guessing how much you have left in the tank

With ease mate

I might try and pick your brain soon too Kurt - hoping to go there in the next couple of weeks. Was tempted yesterday as weather was good but had 3 in my tinny (30hp) and a late start so decided it wasn't worth it for the short-ish time period.

Are the schoolies around all year but just more of them in summer, or basically just over summer? And is there just one measured mile beacon or two?

Good luck Chris, looking forward to the report.

Mate, more than happy to help

Give me a call or txt

The schoolers were around last winter, not heaps but they were around

Chris, what's your tank setup like?

I carry two 25L tanks and will bring a 10L/20L jerry can depending. I'll go until the first 25L is gone then I know I'm at my half way point in terms of range (point of return). Switch over to the second tank and start making my way home. This is a simple way of monitoring usage without using a fuel gauge or guessing how much you have left in the tank

I've got a 25L tank and a 20l Jerry can. I will be taking a 10l Jerry can as well tho, just to be sure.

mate my fuel gauge reads half by the time I get out to the cape... just always make sure i have another 20 or 40L in reserve to make sure I get home! If you said your boat used 10L/hr on average (which it probably doesn\'t), it\'s about 12-13nm from the port boat ramp to the outer measured mile marker. In good weather you will be doing 15-18kn no worries meaning you will be out there in under 1 hr, maybe burning 8-9L in the process. With 55L on board you have oodles and oodles to do some running around, maybe throw a few molotofs about, play with your flame thrower for a bit and then shoot home.

Probably a good idea to do a consumption run - one way is to get a stopwatch on the boat, drive it around for an hour flat out and then fill the tank back up, work out how much it used in an hour. Try it in smooth water, rough water, with 2 people, with 4 people, at different speeds etc. You get an average that way. Other way to do it is L/km or L/nm - if you have a GPS drop a track and then get the distance of that track, work out how much fuel was used to cover that distance.

For my trip on sunday I will have enough fuel on board for 6 hours running time at full noise, allowing 2hrs out, 1 hr moving about out there, 2 hrs back, with 1 hr to spare. This is based on the average consumption of 17L/hr then adding a 2L/hr saftey margain just to be sure. When planning longer trips it is good to know your average consumption.

• 6 years later...

Google found me this old thread. Got myself a 4.3 stacer with 30hp 2 stroke. Been having a burning desire to go somewhere other than inside the river and southern bay, especially chasing mackies in measured mile. 

My question is how do you pick a good day as many of you mentioned here. I am looking at this Thursday, will I be able to make it out and back safely? Thanks everyone.

1 hour ago, Fisherman's gear said:

Google found me this old thread. Got myself a 4.3 stacer with 30hp 2 stroke. Been having a burning desire to go somewhere other than inside the river and southern bay, especially chasing mackies in measured mile. 

My question is how do you pick a good day as many of you mentioned here. I am looking at this Thursday, will I be able to make it out and back safely? Thanks everyone.

Initially a good day to go would be when the wind is forecast to be no more than around 10 knots. After you're comfortable with that, then maybe up to 15 knots.

Looking at the forecast for Thursday, I would be going early and getting back to shelter before the tide change around 11. That way you should avoid wind against tide and have a good run back home. In spring and summer, you will often get a NE wind springing up at around 11.15 and combining that with a run out tide can make it a long wet trip home.

1 minute ago, Old Scaley said:

Looking at the forecast for Thursday, I would be going early and getting back to shelter before the tide change around 11. That way you should avoid wind against tide and have a good run back home. In spring and summer, you will often get a NE wind springing up at around 11.15 and combining that with a run out tide can make it a long wet trip home.

Old Scaley, thanks for your input, this is exactly what I am looking for. And my plan is also leaving early 5ish, and come back by then. Probably takes me 2 hrs to get there and back from Port as my boat only does 18kts on a good day. Thanks a lot mate.