spinnerbait stingers

James W

You can buy gamakatsu spinnerbait trailer hooks in a variety of hook sizes. They come with a plastic tube in pack. All you have to do is cut a piece of tube, slip trailer hook on spinnerbait hook and push the tube long ways on spinnerbait hook. Its as simple as that. If you pick up a pack you will notice that the hook eye is bigger that a stand hook. They work good on slugs too. Hopefully I explained it good enough

• 3 weeks later...

James: With the Gamakatsu Single Stingers, cut a piece of tubing no more then half a centimeter and thread it over the eye of the Single Stinger Hook so you have the tube covering the eye of the stinger on both sides.

Then push the stinger hook onto the Spinnerbait Hook so that the tubing and the eye of the Gama Single Stinger Hook are past the barb. That way the Stinger will sit straight and parallel to the Spinnerbait Hook and won't drop down. If you have it dropping down it snags up a lot easier and doesn't always just bump over snags.

I don't use Trebles as Stingers as I have found they tangle up the skirt.

Though if a skirt on a Spinnerbait starts to get worn I usually take it off and put a 3inch Atomic Paddle Tail on the Spinnerbait Hook. I then get a Treble that has the eye set opposite to one of the Treble Hooks. Then put the tubing over the eye and thread it on the Spinnerbait Hook and bury one of the Treble Hooks into the Plastic so that 2 Hooks are still well and truly exposed.

I caught 2 58cm Yellowbelly in 2 trips doing this at North Pine about 20m from each other. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same fish each session. He didn't learn his lesson though.

I will try and post up some pictures soon of what I'm talking about ;) .

Troy

OK, here's a picture of a Single Stinger by Gamakatsu. It's hard to see but there is a piece of tubing over the eye of the Stinger.

[img size=146]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Single_Stinger_Hook_with_Tubing.JPG

post-68-144598427521_thumb.jpg

If you have a good quality Graphite Rod you will be able to feel the blades of the SB working quite easily with a slow roll.

A lot of the time Bass will be interested in looking but not eating the bait so they will come up and swipe at it. Quite often you will feel the blades miss a beat and what feels like a small hit but is just the fish pushing water towards the SB with its tail as it turns and bolts away.

This is when I add a size 2 Single Stinger to the first Size 1 Single Stinger. You will often hook them around the head when you do this and I have hooked one in the tail before, obviously as it has gone to swim away the 2nd stinger has grabbed the tail.

Troy

[img size=165]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Spinnerbait_with_2_Single_Stingers2.JPG

post-68-144598427524_thumb.jpg

I don't have any Spinnerbaits with the skirt removed left as I lost my last one to a brickage because they work so well ;) . So I have just used a Spinnerbait with the skirt instead to improvise which I wouldn't normally do as the Trebles wreck the skirt.

I used to use a Soft Plastic Trailer often with SB's with a Single Stinger placed on top. But I found it reduces casting distance quite a bit and North Pine is all about distance from the bank. So I just use a Standard SB now.

So just imaging this picture as a Spinnerbait without the skirt with a SP Trailer and Treble Stinger in place of it. I still use the tubing over the eye of the Treble for a bit of reassurance it won't come off ;) .

Troy

[img size=142]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Spinnerbait_with_Plastic_and_Treble_Stinger.JPG

post-68-144598427526_thumb.jpg

I used a combination of all 3 of these rigs to get the 90 odd Bass and 6 Yellowbelly in the last 3 sessions I have been to North Pine. I have also caught a few on a Standard SB with just the Blades and Head of the lure, no additives.

Which reminds me I finally caught a tagged Bass on Saturday so will post up information and pics once I get it. I will also post up pics of the big Yellows once I get them. But I don't think that will be for a few weeks.

Hope this helps ;) .

Troy [img size=313]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Spinnerbait_Rigs.JPG

post-68-144598427527_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

I think (havent actually bought a pack for ages) the stinger hooks I use are the Gamakatsu Siwash Hooks. But they could be the hooks that were mentioned earlier in the thread.

Another quick and easy (cheap too) way to ensure the stinger stays on is to simply get a holepunch and a milk bottle. Punch out the small rounds bits of milk bottle and slip that over the spinnerbait hook after you fit the stinger. I have been doing it for years now and have never had to replace one.

As for running the stinger hook downwards...I think the snag rate would increase as the stinger wouldnt allow for the lure to bounce/ride over the snags. Would become very frustrating, very quickly.

I'm using the hooks Dino recommended. About $7 for a pack of 50 from Mo Tackle.

Just use my "ganging pliers" to open the eye, slip it over and squeeze it shut.

For open water I carry a pack of No 8 trebles, just drop it straight over the hook. Occasionally one will fall off while casting, but as long as you keep pressure on you wont loose the hook with a fish on.

Archived