Looking for a sinning reel for offshore pelagics.

dhess

I am in the hunte for a robust sinning reel mostly for casting slugs at tuna, mackerel and mahi mahi etc. that has a nice quick retrieve and can handle a bit of abuse. My cheapo $60 okuma bair runner died after landing a few decent fish. The antireverse anti reverses no more. Anyone elese had this problem?

Have always been a shimano fan but have recently been looking at daiwa reels. Only problem is all of the sub $1000 reels have what seem to be slow retrieve ratios. At the moment I am looking at shimano twin power 6000 or sustain 6000/8000. Like the retrieve speed of the sustain but like the max drag of the twin power.

On the other hand am thinking of a much cheaper real like a pflueger medalist or something like that as I would prefer not to spend $400 idfI don't have to, especially since I am quite lazy with reel maintenenance.

Would love any input.:)

Have you considered the Shimano Thunnus ?

Not sure if the gearing is quick enough for you at 4.6:1 but might be worth a look for the dual purpose side of things.

/>http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/samtt.htm

or cut and paste this one -

(http://www.fishouttawater.com.au/

main_itemdetail1.asp?cat=10&item=1005166

&intAbsolutePage=8)

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/09/04 23:32

get the okuma repaired the parts shouldnt cost much ive had my 80 series okuma bait runner for 23 years now and it hasnt missed a beat i had 35lb line on it and have gone back to 20lb to be nice to it but id do run 50lb braid when sharking sometimes for chrome slugs for tune id look at the shimano high speed i forgot the name but being black they take minimal maintenance whereas the pretty reels seem to need more i have 20 black shimanos still going but some other pretty reels lokk sad far quicker:)

Thanks for the replies.

After being unproductive for a few days at work researching I made my choice today after having a play with a few reels at Mossops.

Had a good look and read about the thunnus online and am very impressed will definitely look at one for live bait fishing.

First I decided that $400 for a sustain was a bit too much so I started looking at a stradic 8000 for $199. I then stumbled on the daiwa emblem 5500. It has a ridiculously fast retrieve rate of 1.2m per crank, long cast spool, realy solid drag and only costs around $260.

Anyway went in to Mossop's this morning and had a play with the daiwa. Nice real but just a bit too big and bulky. The guy at the store showed me a pflueger medalist 6060 high speed. I was very impressed. Nice fast retrieve, solid feel and super smooth compared to the daiwa. about half the price too. Bit easier to swallow as I tend be a bit lazy with maintenance.

Decision time. I put the daiwa on a beautifully made, super light, custom rod they had there for about $650 and it didn't feel right. It would be more at home on a heavier surf rod. Mind you I was instantly in love with the rod. :kiss: :silly: Tried the pfleuger and it felt nice. Next step was to select a more reasonably priced rod. Had a look at a few live fibres and starlo stix but in the end settled for a 7'6 pflueger condender 8-10kg. Nice rod and relatively cheap. Had the guys spool me up with 300m of 30lb spider wire stealth and I'm ready to go.

I was very impressed with the level of service and the generous discount on the package price. It ended up being equivalent to what I would have paid at the cheapest online place once shipping had been paid.

Next weekend I hopefully get to test i out.:woohoo:

Don`t be too concerned about gear ratio. Retreival rate is more the key as many reels have bail arms that collect line wider from the spool, therefore retreiving more line even when the ratio is slower.... if that makes sense to you.

Good choice though (Contender)

Easily replacable, not too expensive, ready for a thrashing.

Hi there dhess, if you're looking for something relatively cheap, but works like a charm, I'd say you should try the Daiwa Freams 4500J or the Daiwa Capricorn.

The only difference between the 2 is that the Capricorn has a spare spool. The prices are approx USD85~USD120 inc shipping. The drag is great, topping at 8kg, power knob as standard, line cap is excellent as well, with 300metres of PE4 filling up the spool nicely. Furthermore, this reel has a full metal body, which makes it alot more robust. Should be available from most Japanese E-tailers. I highly recommend this reel. I bought it as a backup reel for my offshore jigging, and it hasnt failed me yet ;), alot of my mates buy it as a workhorse, using it for everything from bottom bashing to trolling to popping and jigging as well. biggest fish that i know has been landed on this reel is a 23kg AJ.

my 2 cents mate.

in my opinion, if i am going to do offshore fishing for the rest of my life. i would definitely get 2-3 stellas, some dogfights, some van staals and some saltist-zs. for the rod selection, go to fisherman and carpenter, as well as some nice daiwa saltigas. offshore fishing is a totally different scene to general estuary fishing. u can catch dozens of dozens of nasty fighting fish a trip. u know it's not hard to catch 20ish tuna and a few kingie in hrs.

in these situations, a good reel is essential. a stella lasts for years and give u the ultimate drag and retrieving when others will decline quickly after some good fish.

1 stella=2 stradics in price

1 stella lasts if not more then at least lasts as long as 2 stradics and give u better feel

don't worry about the scratches, reels r build to fight, not to be looked at.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

in my opinion, if i am going to do offshore fishing for the rest of my life. i would definitely get 2-3 stellas, some dogfights, some van staals and some saltist-zs. for the rod selection, go to fisherman and carpenter, as well as some nice daiwa saltigas. offshore fishing is a totally different scene to general estuary fishing. u can catch dozens of dozens of nasty fighting fish a trip. u know it's not hard to catch 20ish tuna and a few kingie in hrs.

in these situations, a good reel is essential. a stella lasts for years and give u the ultimate drag and retrieving when others will decline quickly after some good fish.

1 stella=2 stradics in price

1 stella lasts if not more then at least lasts as long as 2 stradics and give u better feel

don't worry about the scratches, reels r build to fight, not to be looked at.

haha, no offense kevin, but i beg to differ. you have to try sambos, GTs and AJs sometime. you'll see bail arms ripped off, gears being screwed up, drags being burnt out etc etc :D. On one of the latest trips here, the latest casualty was a Stella SW 20K - worm gear broke. hehe.

There were even a few cases of Saltigas being broken off at the stem of the reel, but those were 4500s.

Feral wrote:

What use is gear that lasts for ever, then you'd never get to buy any new goodies!

True Feral.

I'm sure most modern manufacturers have a sign with this hanging up in their board and production rooms unfortunately.:S

It would be OK if it was just tackle producers though:woohoo:

Archived