Some Fish of late

Shane69

Havnt being posting up lately due to lack of interest in salt water fishing by members. Bored at home on Friday night in this rain so might as well post some photos up. Some might have seen these on other sites but here it goes.

Since purchasing new boat being using it a bit until I go back full time studying again in few weeks. Most of the fishing done off straddie and offshore Gold coast. Have done few sessions Brisbane River and Coomera.

Kinda miss having a smaller boats at times coz i cant fish the river anymore.

We being having a good run with pelagics. Yet to get to a marlin in the boat. Have leadered a fair few but not able to bring in it boat. I seriously lost count how many we have hooked. Its frustrating not being able to get them in boat. I just want one to take photo with lol.

Being doing a bit of GT popping too. Havnt landed one yet but still trying. Have hooked up to a few but lost them. Nearly landed one but the hooks popped out right next to boat. Would have being 20kg plus on plastics. One of best fights i ever had.

These are some of the photos of fish i have on my comp. I had heaps more but i dropped my phone in the water few weeks ago and lost everything.

post-9281-14459892111_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921117_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921124_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921135_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921145_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921152_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921158_thumb.png

post-9281-144598921169_thumb.jpg

More photos to come...

Please dont reply

post-9281-144598921282_thumb.png

post-9281-14459892125_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921253_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921264_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921268_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598921275_thumb.jpg

Being getting my mates into the offshore fishing action too and they loving it.

I cant wait for the mackerel season to go full swing. We had 1 good sess for schoolies and 1 spotties.

Cant wait to get onto some big spanish and hoo.

We have had some memoriable bust offs but my favourite would be site casting a livie at a 15kg dollie. We talk about it every trip.

The minute the livie hit the water i was on. It was a big bull. It went hard. Lost him right next to the boat.

I have also caught wahoo on stick bait and plastics which is pretty nuts.

We have had massive schools of school hoo come next to the boat at times.

Well for now that is it. I wish i had all photos but oh well

Shane

post-9281-144598921245_thumb.jpg

Some epic pics there Shane.

I'm desperate to get a cobia so very jealous of the pic with you holding two.

Keep at it and you'll get a Marlin in the boat. I was luck to get one from one. Didn't post any pics cause didn't want the catch and release mob to have a go at me for keeping my first Marlin.

What setup are you using for popping for GT?

Unreal fish there Shane, I always love it when you post up pics of your catches and its guys like you that inspire me to improve my skills and knowledge of fishing .

Hopefully one day I'll get a boat of my own to chase some offshore fish and ill be going back to these posts time and again looking for inspiration for my next trip.

Loving it mate, thanks!

Who cares what they think mate, every angler has the right to choose whether they keep a fish they catch, so long as the abide by the rules.

I'd be keeping my first Marlin, too.

I think you'll find a lot of people will share that sentiment.

Agreed 100%, there had been some posts of people keeping their small blacks and the abuse that was going around I just chose to keep it to myself.

I should post the video up cause I have it all the way through to the kill (done as humainly as possible)

Some epic pics there Shane.

I'm desperate to get a cobia so very jealous of the pic with you holding two.

Keep at it and you'll get a Marlin in the boat. I was luck to get one from one. Didn't post any pics cause didn't want the catch and release mob to have a go at me for keeping my first Marlin.

What setup are you using for popping for GT?

The cobia are from the same spot we pop for GT. We have caught them on plastics but you only get school fish that way. For the big boys you need big live bait. I have lost count how many big cobia we have lost man. I love chasing them. I have worked out when they come on the chew best too. We have got atleast 1 nearly every trip.

I have stopped chasing marlin for the year they too frustrating lol.

Yeah man offshore jew are nuts. I love chasing them on plastics. I found a good spot but they not always there. We found them last trip but could only get 1 up and half way up it got sharked only got head. I reckon they go harder than kingies. Dirty fighters.

Il swap you the mark for a few jigging marks :P

I need to start exploring out wide. I reckon i used to go further with my CC than i do now. But the fishing is so good close in than i just havnt bothered going wide.

You guys being heading out lately. How bad is the weather man.

Last few trips we have being going in very ordinary weather. Its good experience though

Shane

some good catches there mate, dont fall into the same catergory as other idiots and post on every fishing website there is looking for a reaction, lol you no who iam talking about. keep the reports coming shaneo.

Cheers mate. Yeah i know what you mean. I dont give away too much info in my reports these days. It takes too long to find good spots and than learn to fish them.

You being getting out yourself mate.

The mackerel should be full swing soon

[quote="Shane69" post=

Il swap you the mark for a few jigging marks :P

I need to start exploring out wide. I reckon i used to go further with my CC than i do now. But the fishing is so good close in than i just havnt bothered going wide.

You guys being heading out lately. How bad is the weather man.

Last few trips we have being going in very ordinary weather. Its good experience though

Shane

Yeah i was going to say its not there anymore. I thought it floated away with the swell i couldnt find it either.

Last few trips for us has being in 3-4m swell. Barely see anything lol if you not close enough to it.

Oh well we had a good run of hoo there too. We caught them on plastics, stick baits and trolling lures.

Man last trip we had a massive school of hoo come up to there boat and just hang around we chacked everything they wouldnt touch.

I dont know how many times we being smoked there. We dont use spin reels when live baiting anymore. No chance of stopping them. Torsa 20 or ocea jigger 4000p 80lb with 100lb leader locked up. Thats how we managing to get some cod n cobes up. Even the smaller ones fight dirty there.

I reckon some of them that hit livies mid water are GT.

Weathers looking okay for this weekend. Hopefully comes up good. I just wanna chase spanish mackerel.

They must have pulled the marker up ause of the massive swell. Even if they were putting it back it'll take a little while for the decent fish to return. Sucks cause the kings were just starting to get to legal (apparently down deeper there were more legals hanging around) and now it'll have to start from scratch all over again.

I should have been using my saltiga to try and stop these ones but stupidly thought I'd just ty on the Catalina.

There have been runs of whoo and then they head off and only to big lone ones will turn up and are very skittish.

One of the videos I have I put the camera in the water and there is a school of about 50 whoo just hanging off the boat. Any lure I put into the marker that wasn't hit by a king was devoured by the whoo, good times.

I f you ever want to head out jigging let me know I'm always keen and happy to share/trade marks.

Hey Shane some nice fish there. Good on you for braving the conditions. Your results are reward for doing it. I have been a little skittish of late getting out in rough conditions. I do not have closed boat like yours and do not want to take a set over the bow.

Hey I do not find the C&R guys that bad on here. I have kept all the Marlin so far as they are all firsts for the anglers. I do not see an issue as these fish are only 6 months old and if they where under fishing pressure they would be a controlled fish. At the end of the day after you get a couple you get sick of eating them and will release the ensuing catches. It is funny though how precious people get about a sports fish. It is irrational really.

Hey Shane some nice fish there. Good on you for braving the conditions. Your results are reward for doing it. I have been a little skittish of late getting out in rough conditions. I do not have closed boat like yours and do not want to take a set over the bow.

Hey I do not find the C&R guys that bad on here. I have kept all the Marlin so far as they are all firsts for the anglers. I do not see an issue as these fish are only 6 months old and if they where under fishing pressure they would be a controlled fish. At the end of the day after you get a couple you get sick of eating them and will release the ensuing catches. It is funny though how precious people get about a sports fish. It is irrational really.

The weathers being terrible lately. Even though i love pelagic fishing in summer so much i cant wait till winter again for its calm days and low currents.

Currents ridilicious out there atm.

Espically if you got 20 knot winds pushing you in same direction most days. Not fun in half cab. I think most hours racked up on my motor is from backing up on marks so we have slight chance of getting baits and lures down.

The bars being pretty good to us except the last trip. That was hairy. I even blanked out half way through it. It didnt look too bad at start and half way through just past wreck they started starting standing up and breaking. With a incoming tide too. We copped 1 over top and got slapped on side by few. I was soo happy to finally cross it. It felt never ending.

Id go out in 20knot ne any day but not a se. Its like a big mashing machine around boat rock. There were waves excess of 3-4 meters breaking out at boat rock last trip. We copped 1 over top of bimini. Thats when i knew time to turn around. Im so greatfull for self draining hull.

Im really happy with how the boat handles the weather.

As for marlin side. You guys are so lucky you guys landed heaps. I just want one in the boat. Just so i can take photo il even let it go lol.

Shane

Its looking like there is a huge amount of Marlin here again Shane and a bit of fine weather will see what is there and where the main concentration is holding up.

First bit of good weather,if you want to head out and catch one give me buzz and I will go out with you and see what we can scratch up for ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sorry Shane I didn't realize you posted the boat pics up here. That is one gorgeous boat.

How's the fuel usage with that size engine?

I'm going to trade my 2004 Yamaha 130hp in and downgrade to a Mercury or Yamaha 90hp. The fuel usage is terrible on the 130hp.

I also need to drop some weight from the stern.

Yeah, sorry Shane I didn't realize you posted the boat pics up here. That is one gorgeous boat.

How's the fuel usage with that size engine?

I'm going to trade my 2004 Yamaha 130hp in and downgrade to a Mercury or Yamaha 90hp. The fuel usage is terrible on the 130hp.

I also need to drop some weight from the stern.

Cheers mate. Yeah it was good buy thats why i sold my CC so fast.

Fuel usage is great. I use same amount as i did in 60hp going offshore. That includes trolling and motor left running all day too.

Thats if i dont drive like an idiot across the bay.

I would never buy 2 stroke again.

Cheers mate. Yeah it was good buy thats why i sold my CC so fast.

Fuel usage is great. I use same amount as i did in 60hp going offshore. That includes trolling and motor left running all day too.

Thats if i dont drive like an idiot across the bay.

I would never buy 2 stroke again.

Wow, that's great fuel usage. Unfortunately my boat can't handle the extra weight of a four stroke so I'm stuck with the 2 strokes. The downgrade to the 90 should save me a bucket of fuel though, and to be honest I don't think I'll miss the top end speed as I never go full speed anyway.

Who cares what they think mate, every angler has the right to choose whether they keep a fish they catch, so long as the abide by the rules.

I'd be keeping my first Marlin, too.

I think you'll find a lot of people will share that sentiment.

i agree, i like to keep my first targeted legal size for the wall.

what would you do with a marlin? taxidermy it? can you eat marlin ? or is it more a sport fish ?

i had a friends dad he caught a blue marlin like 30 years ago and had it taxidermy and still has it on his wall to this day.

Archived