goats yelling like humans....

fishingnut

Not as funny when your hunting.

I have a mate who I used to hunt a lot with when we were back in year 11 and 12.

He had a property at Inglewood and goats were the easy targets, foxes and rabbits the challenge with a surprisingly low number of pigs although they were dry days.

Anyway this mate of mine has not hunted since year 12 due to one day he shot a goat clean in the head and proceeded to scream for at least 3 minutes (a long time with somethings head is gushing blood) a piercing shriek that could only be compared to a human in extreme agony.

Even the most dedicated hunter I do not think likes to be reminded that at the end of the day these things do feel!

The goat was dispatched ASAP and the shrieking was not a result of complacency but of a long range shot with a circa Bore War lever action. This meant the ground had to be covered, all the while hearing that awful screech before a mercy shot could be administered.

Being a feral animal the "never shoot" again decision was not made by me, but it certainly did rattle me up a bit! In saying that I have not been hunting in probably a decade so maybe there was something subliminal there. Probably why I hate when trevally grunt at me as well haha.

Angus

Archived