Trinity Inlet Land Based - Barra, Jack, Fingermark, Tarpon

Bennno

Tiotony, myself and a mate James hit the base for a live bait session and to throw around some lures last night.

Initially quite slow, a double hook up soon followed with a legal jack for Tony and 60cm barra for me. Went dead after that and the tide turn so headed into deeper water.

60-barra.jpg

60-barra-mat.jpg

Tony caught a fingermark a bit over 40cm and a big tarpon christening his new reel. Not to long after Tony got flashed by a metrey barra on his trusty 2inch gulp shrimp so I decided to throw one of my lures around again.

Wasn't too long and I got smashed, the barra took straight to the air and went bananas. Got to test a new combo well and subdued the fish nicely. Netting was not an easy task with a lift net and huge tide running away from the fish, but after many tense moments we eventually got her on the jetty. She went 85cm and was a strong fish, pulled me off my feet at one stage momentarily. The best part was this was my first fish on a homemade lure of mine. It's getting retired!

85-lure.jpg

85-barra1.jpg

85-barra-mat.jpg

Tony also was busted off (on a navy ship no less) by a large easy 70+ barra which was bound to happen fishing tight quarters with 8lb braid and a medium heavy rod. Tony didn't take any photos of his fish unfortunately, would have been good to add them in.

• 7 years later...
5 minutes ago, Jaz44 said:

Hey mate. Where about is this in the Inlet? Thanks and tight lines.

Hey Jaz44

I do not know, but I think ellicat has got it above.

Also, just a tip when you're digging up old threads is to check on their profiles when they were last on here, because if they haven't been on here for a couple of years, or months, they might not use the forum as much and might not see your post. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

On 06/05/2020 at 11:08 AM, ellicat said:

Bennno hasn't been on for a few months but I found it here -

34025520_trinityinlet.thumb.JPG.9c3bd7e17a66db00fc5c994920e66794.JPG

Nope, was at HMAS Cairns on the other side of the inlet (the whole system is Trinity Inlet - not just that little bit). Used to be able to fish there if you were a serving ADF member, but closed to fishing now as are pretty much all the wharves in Trinity Inlet. Awesome fishing now only if you have a boat.

Went up there once before I was married, hired a small tinny and went trolling up the inlet, there was a section there that every time I went passed it my lures got absolutely mangled, off the top of my memory it probably was in the Chinaman Creek area, obviously something with very large teeth. I decided to move on to another area as anything that powerful was something I did not want to catch and it may not have been a fish! I had to call it quits early as I got a real bad dose of sunburn. Important lesson learned... don't forget the Sunblock!