New Boat/Cargo Net

tomartomau

There has been a fair bit of chatter on another forum about securing your load, both in boats and in utes/trailers. There was some suggestion that police were targeting this and alledged large fines have followed.

I have been for a while been taking all my stuff out and into the car to avoid a possible fine, but in reality the stuff in the car is probably not secure in itself.

Well, I have bitten the bullet and made my own net. Originally I was going to purchase a roll of Australian bunjee cord and learn how to weave a net. The problem is that some items are quite small so I was worried that potentially these items could come out in the unlikely event of the boat overturning.

I opted for a high quality trawler net that is both strong and a small mesh size. I also bought about 10 metres of Aussie made stretch cord and threaded it around... not hard at all. I have some hooks (the ones that are used on utes) to put on a few parts of the boat to hook onto, but I am at pains to drill holes in the boat under any circumstances, but a couple will need to be made.

All up the high quality net was $30, the Cord $16 and the plastic clips $6.

The net covers the entire boat, from the anchor well to the transom, took me 15 minutes to to as well.

Here are a few Pictures;

post-11269-144598946752_thumb.jpg

post-11269-144598946767_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting your idea.

I'm lucky I have a full cover but no everyone does. Great idea and ecomical.

Could save the cost of a fine and still have to do something about it. More dollars on gear is better spent and avoiding potential accidents , all good.

Cheers Wayne

I rang them prior to making my own the quote was $220.00 (I live in Redcliffe). They do good work, but I was not prepared to pay that amount of money.

That's actually a good price and a bit less than I thought they would charge.

They do an incredible job there and the work that goes into making a net is huge by the time it is all cut out and sewn up.

It used to take me a week to cut out a net and sew it all up and for them to do it they charged a grand per net so they have always offered good value for their work.

Hey tony,

Great idea, you could make them and sell them for a tidy profit at that price!!

Also, with the attachment, why don't you lengthen the bungee cord/or it may have enough stretch, and attach to the trailer?

I'd rather drill into the trailer than the boat! Or you may be able to loop around chassis of trailer and avoid holes altogether?

Liam

You are absolutely right about the cord stretching all the way down to the trailer, it makes sense to do that. I only bought 15 meters of cord initially and if this does not work with using plastic clips (so I do not have to drill holes) that I have left over from an old cargo net then I will extend the cord to attach to the trailer.

As for making them, aussie 123 is right ATS and the like would do a professional job, I just want to make sure I don't attract any unwanted attention.

All I did on mine was 'weave' under and over the mesh, but leaving a tag so that the mesh can be folded over and attached to tidy up the edges so it looks neater, I have not done that yet.

Cheers

A link would be swell. You can download the 269 page document here http://www.ntc.gov.au/viewpage.aspx?Areald=35&DocumentId=862. There is a full copy available for download, and it is worth the read.

The interesting information starts at page 34.

TL;DR

Apart from securing the stern of your boat to the trailer, the loading guidelines say that you have to judge each item in your boat for the probability to be a projectile. You then have to secure each item so it is safe. This means a netting will not cut the slack. Instead, tie your rods up in a bunch them secure them to your boat with rope or bungy cords. Use some rope and tie down your esky. You get the picture.

This is only my understanding of the guidelines and I could be massively off mark. If this is the case, I'd like to be corrected. Safety matters.

--julian

I have not read the entire document, but I will. I agree that items such as fuel containers (auxiliary), eskys and other large heavy items would need to be secured separately, and I do this. The durability of the mesh and the small size adds a level of safety in determining risk. Risk in this case is any potential projectile and your interpretation might well be different to mine or the police officer/dept of trans assessing a person's load. The net would act as a overarching caution to items that are smaller and or unable to be secured properly.

For me this would include lifejackets, oars, covers for radios, sunscreen, first aid kit etc.

I have not read the entire document, but I will. I agree that items such as fuel containers (auxiliary), eskys and other large heavy items would need to be secured separately, and I do this. The durability of the mesh and the small size adds a level of safety in determining risk. Risk in this case is any potential projectile and your interpretation might well be different to mine or the police officer/dept of trans assessing a person's load. The net would act as a overarching caution to items that are smaller and or unable to be secured properly.

For me this would include lifejackets, oars, covers for radios, sunscreen, first aid kit etc.

Your description to me seems to fit what I did read in the PDF file. The small size in the net will ensure small items will become a projectile.

Well I'll be. The boat one has a shackle rating of approx 320kg
/>http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-D-Shackle-Galvanised-10mm.aspx?pid=219131#Cross

The box trailer (8x5) of 200kg
/>http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-D-Shackle-Galvanised-8mm.aspx?pid=219130#Cross

Stainless is a no no, which I was aware of, I am not sure of how much load/shock that my towbar itself would take and the connection mounts under the car. The top load of a towball is around 80kgs from memory.

I assume that in the case of an accident and the trailer was found to be ill equipped then insurance could be void?

If it goes totally over everything, It is possible ot get rid if the bungie cord and thread rope through it.?

If it works - when you pull the rope tight it will pull the net under the hull and behind the motor making it impossible to get off, and stopping anything of any weight or size from coming out of the boat.

I can't be sure, but I think the point booty may have been making when he pointed Tomartomau to read the NTC was that simply containing all items under a net may not be sufficient for it to be classified as a safe load no matter how strong the net is.

If you get into the nitty gritty it comes down to heavier items being tied down and having sufficient friction on the surface which they are resting on so they cannot move under situations where excessive forces are applied, e.g. evasive manouveres, emergency braking etc. Even though the net may prevent them from being ejected from the boat, anything of significant weight shifting suddenly to one side may destablise the vehicle.

Obviously the heavier items such as fuel tanks and batteries have to be tied down.

Securing netting with bungee cord may not be sufficiently strong and maybe a pedantic policeman may still breech you.

Maybe this would do the trick as it is secured to the trailer frame and would stop even the smallest item from blowing out.

Also good security for when you pull into a servo or shop as people cannot look at what is in the boat.

I have just ordered one and will post when it arrives.

[ebay]281101122685[/ebay]

Cheers

Ray

Obviously the heavier items such as fuel tanks and batteries have to be tied down.

Securing netting with bungee cord may not be sufficiently strong and maybe a pedantic policeman may still breech you.

Maybe this would do the trick as it is secured to the trailer frame and would stop even the smallest item from blowing out.

Also good security for when you pull into a servo or shop as people cannot look at what is in the boat.

I have just ordered one and will post when it arrives.

[ebay]281101122685[/ebay]

Cheers

Ray

I know I am confused - The problem is that it is self assessment. What is secure to one person is not secure to another. It is grey and it is my opinion as Ray stated a Pedantic policeman would be able to book nearly anybody. I think the towable covers are the way to go for partially securing all the small items however after skimming the PDF you will need to secure heavy items separately that potentially can break through the cover.

what about convertibles?

Exactly Eug where does it stop? Surely they need to secure thongs and the like in the car. It is nothing different to the example where the guy got fined for the pair of thongs one fine unit for each thong.

what about convertibles?

Exactly Eug where does it stop? Surely they need to secure thongs and the like in the car. It is nothing different to the example where the guy got fined for the pair of thongs one fine unit for each thong.

I guess it's all about using common sense and the attitude you approach the inspecting officer. I suspect in many instances drivers' may be a little cheeky, which can potentially result in a fine for thongs and other little things.

The manner in which you carry yourself holds a lot in how you in turn are treated. I found that out the hard way a long time ago. A lot of people instantly get on the defensive which in turn gets an aggressive response. No good ever comes out of that. I've found most people respond well if you take a diplomatic approach.

Archived