Is it possible for bass to breed without saltwater

darcy

Recently got told by someone who was 100% sure that bass can breed without migrating to saltwater. I Personally disagree as i have always been under the impression that bass need saltwater to breed. Second question this same person also thought that bass fingerlings introduced into dams etc etc can breed aswell. My understanding was that introduced fingerlings were sterile meaning they cannot breed. What are your thoughts?? (Elops this is in your department). I thought this guy was crazy but thought id put the question out there anyway.

I remember reading a paper which mentioned this, many years ago. I think that the researchers found a small number of juvenile bass in fresh water lagoons which had been cut off from the main river for many years (this would have been prior to regular bass stockings), thus preventing any access to salt waters. The hypothesis was that a very small percentage could survive breeding in fresh water. I don't know if this has been proven or disproven since - I think the paper was written 25-30 odd years ago and the survival rate was considered to be very, very low.

Fingerlings are not necessarily sterile when released into dams. Due to the artificial conditions they are raised in and in-breeding of brood stock in hatcheries, there is very high potential for genetic problems. A common result would be sterile offspring. In some species, such as trout, it is possible to produce 'triploid' fish which are artificially sterilised. These fish grow larger and faster than regular diploids. I don't know if this has been achieved with Australian bass.

Cheers

Duncan

is there anyway a river/creek could have the required salinity without linking up to salt??

Theoretically if someone were to introduce them on to the western systems that empty in to the big salt lakes in South Oz, conditions might align and allow them to breed. Wouldn't happen very often though.

Bass WILL NOT SPAWN IN FRESH WATER

Sperm is not motile in freshwater

No salinity no spawning trigger

Seawater S E A W A T E R. salinity 35ppt SG1.024-1.027

Simple non scientific explanation. The mummy's and the daddy's need the saltwater to be able to spawn. The eggy's and the taddy's only work in saltwater.

• 3 weeks later...

had a look typed in all the obvious words bass tingalpa creek Leslie Harrison dam no real proof came up. can you point me in the right direction ray? i fished through that entire area when i was a kid and never saw any evidence of them being there id just love to see one photo

Bass WILL NOT SPAWN IN FRESH WATER

Sperm is not motile in freshwater

No salinity no spawning trigger

Seawater S E A W A T E R. salinity 35ppt SG1.024-1.027

Simple non scientific explanation. The mummy's and the daddy's need the saltwater to be able to spawn. The eggy's and the taddy's only work in saltwater.

Thank you that is the answer i was looking for. I had never heard of bass breeding in freshwater, now i know its complete cr@p. cheers elops

I cannot find Aarons post on this site. I have emailed him and he confirmed that he has caught bass in Tingalpa Creek.

Here is a copy of a post on fishnet where Aaron says he has caught bass there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:31 am Post subject: Tilapia Reply with quote

Just got back from fishing the tingalpa creek near Leslie Harrison spillway, my mornings effort included 38 Tilapia between 150 gms to 2 kg, while it is alot of fun I am concerned at the numbers I have been pulling out in relation to the other fish in the region which I have caught including bass, spangleds, bream and catfish. Also this creek runs into the bay therefore helping the spread, having moved up from Vic I know what pest fish can do (eg Carp, Redfin) I was wondering what programs the DPI are looking at putting in place for these fish before they dominate completely, perhaps a similar approach in stocking predatory fish like Bass or Cod or perhaps an event like Carp busters focussing on Tilapia could be an option.

View users profile Send private message

I have spoken to fisheries and they confirm that bass were present in Tinglapa creek before the dam was built in 1974 but they doubt that any original wild fish would still be there but they dis state that bass and yellas have been released by midnight stocking groups.

Hard to say if Aarons fish have come over the wall or migrated from other streams.

I know of 2 bass that were caught in the ponds behind Victoria Point Shopping centre last year. They were around 30cms long.

Cheers

Ray

little crays close to shore line. never tried out deep.

what kind of boat do you have elops i wanna say hi next time your on the creek and get some pointers on how your making these crazy catches. how far up were you?

No access allowed to shoreline :whistle:

Got a 4.1 Poly, custom blue, unique only one, 40 e tec, 80lb Motorguide feel free to say hi anytime. In my yak at the time Perception Minnow yellow/green a while ago 05/06 not sure first overflow for years during the drought. Spent a bit of time on the dam for a couple of research projects(with permission)so knew what fish were present :ohmy: so fished the creek when it settled. Barra came from below the second rockbar downstream from wall.

Love the way this thread morphed into Bass in Leslie Harrison/Tingalpa Ck. Caught Bass in the dam and the creek :whistle:

Caught a 75 odd cm Barra in Tingalpa ck. now where did that come from ?

That's quite some catch elops, would one have made photographical evidence of this great fish

It was closed season so he had to let it go without taking a photo...

little crays close to shore line. never tried out deep.

what kind of boat do you have elops i wanna say hi next time your on the creek and get some pointers on how your making these crazy catches. how far up were you?

No access allowed to shoreline :whistle:

Got a 4.1 Poly, custom blue, unique only one, 40 e tec, 80lb Motorguide feel free to say hi anytime. In my yak at the time Perception Minnow yellow/green a while ago 05/06 not sure first overflow for years during the drought. Spent a bit of time on the dam for a couple of research projects(with permission)so knew what fish were present :ohmy: so fished the creek when it settled. Barra came from below the second rockbar downstream from wall.

sweet shouldn't miss ya. thanks for the info was he a dark barra or light colored?

Archived