Lake MacDonald 28 9 07

Feral

Well, I figure its a bit rich putting this in the Fishing Reports thread, coz it did not actually involve and fish being caught!

Anyway I finally got Calum and Alex out of bead and into the car by 7am, so managed to get to the lake by 8am.

There I discovered a bloke who had decided to park in the middle of the ramp and unpack his car into his boat. Well I figured its a nice day, so I just patiently waited, he must of started feeling guilty, coz he came up and asked me if I was ready to go, I said yeah, but he may as well finish. He spent another 5 minutes stuffing around, then came and told me he would move for me as I was obviously ready.

SO out on the water, and over to the bubbler's where we could see 3 likely looking reprobates bait fishing.Ray, Graham and John.

They had only caught one fish since they had got there. So we scrounged a couple of shrimp to keep the boys amused (and save me having to actually let them lose with any of my lures) and we drifted off to try our luck.

Not a bite all day. But I did manage to check all my Awoonga lures I had changed the hooks on to see if it had affected the action at all. Happy to say all but 2 looked fine (I think the 2 sus ones were already sus before I worked on them!)

I then tried my paravane, but the lake is not real deep, a couple of spots where it makes 30 foot, and thats it. So I had to set the paravane to the shallowest depth setting, and attach a 1m lure to try it out so I did not hit bottom, but it worked very well. I reckon the paravane was down at least 2m on the shallowest setting.

Pulled off the lake about 12:30 and burned a couple of snags on the BBQ for the boys (had taken my new stove along to cook them on the boat, but the missus had decided to clean my picnic set, and no frypan!

But the boys had fun throwing sticks in the dam for the local dog to chase, and dodging irate magpies, so they had fun.

P1080710.jpg

What actually fish?

P1080735.jpg

-

P1080736.jpg

Its a deer dad!

P1080741.jpg

Well as Feral said we only caught one fish a bass around 34cm and it had an advanced case of fin rot.

The entire dorsal fin was missing with a red ulcer along its length.

Released it in the hope that it will survive.

Not many fish were showing on the sounder and they were certainly not on a feeding frenzy.

We went for a bit of a cruise around but as soon as we left the main basin were flat out finding much water deeper than 14 feet.

There were a couple of other boats out but they also were not having any luck.

One concentrated around the bubbler and the other was throwing hard bodies and plastics to the lily pads.

The water was still dirty and still overflowing the spillway but only by a couple of inches.

Still had a good day somewhere different for a change and will go back again.

The only misadventure for the trip was when John dumped his bag on Grahams new rod and snapped 2 inches off the tip.

Ni photos from me this time.

Cheers

Ray

Archived