colleges crossing

efess

Hi guys Ive got a few poppers and colleges is not to far from me, what advice can you guys give me on times to fish?, where exactly to fish? the tide to fish? what I can hope to get. Anything else you can offer that may assist me.

I was thinking of fishing the park side of the bridge, I will be landbased.

efess

As far as poppers at colleges crossing it would not be my lure of of choice.

Howevever there are Giant Herring, Tarpon and the very odd Big Eys Trev there.

Fish the drop off downstream of teh bridge.

There are some pipes you can walk on that will give you casting range to anywhere.

Who knows i could be a sceptic there are bass there as well, so it is more than possible that one could hit a popper.

Angus

I personally hate colleges with all my heart! When I underneath the bridge and nothing was biting i was throwing pilchards in the water and there was stacks and stacks of bream there. But ... they were all about 15cm. I would deffenentlytry around the bridge or the pipelines. I would work the popper super slow and if you do catch something be sure to tell us!

How can you hate colleges?

Its got like flathead, bream and trevs in the same place as Yellowbelly, Bass and Spangled Perch.

How often does that happen.

Not to mention;

Catfish (eel and fork tail)

Eels (Pike and Freshwater)

Bony Bream (some big ones)

Freshwater gar

Mullet

And dont forget and abundance of bullies in the summer.

(Have a i missed anything)?

Angus

Ok mate quite seriosly ill run thorugh a step by step of what id do.

1. Get to the pipes downstream from the bridge.

2. Put my opera house shrimp traps in the water.

3. Use a float and bread and fish for some gar.

4. Use gar on a chunky handline and feed it out into the current from the pipes which ever way its going for a bully.

4. Hopefully youll have some shrimp if so live bait these. If not, frozen prawns. This can get you tilapia, catfish, bream, eels, perch. yellowbelly etc etc.

5.Hopefully something will have a go at your shark line.

All in all you have targeted a few options and thus maximised your chance of a fish.

I dont much about lures as when i fished colleges alot i was a bait fisherman.

However, the lures that have worked for me in freshwater are tassie devils and poltergistes.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/08/17 21:22

thanks heaps for that boys, I didnt know that there was so much to be caught up there.

im curious do you guys eat any of the fish that you catch from there?

thanks fo the comprehensive tips Angus Ill take some bait along just in case,

im real keen on lures got a couple of cheap berkely frenzys that have got me a few bass in the upper albert river.

Dave thats good to know about Bream in the morning coz ill be there early

efess

theres alot of weed around so be weiry of that. in my opinion bread is the best bait for there. everything takes it. small hooks work well, in my opinion the bes thooks to use are the fly hooks are they are super sharp and will catch you plenty of gar and mullet. If you want you can cast net there for livies, the rule for cast netting in fresh is you can cast where theres tidal movment so you can cast net if you want. if you decide to wade in the water be carefull for bullrouts/bared fortesque's both are related to stone fish and will inflict alot of pain into you.

DAVE

Glad to hear that the water is good up there, maybe I will try some gar never had it before, I know what you mean about bass Angus I would not eat a river bass they are for me strictly catch and release. Yeah Dave bread seems the go and not stinky so the mrs will be ok with that and thats good to know about using fly hooks i'll have to get some.

I look fwd to posting a report in the next couple of weeks

cheers boys

efess

• 2 weeks later...

Gday guys, I do a bit of fishing around the colleges area and to tell you the truth you have more chances catching a cold then a fresh water native fish (bass, golden perch).

You will however get onto a few catfish, gar and if the weather is warm bream.

Nick

Nick i agree its not the best place for natives freshwater.

But with time and patience and trying different techniques it will pay off.

I caught my first Bass, Yellowbelly, Spangled Perh and Lung fish at colleges crossing or within 100m of it.

And also due to the flood gates being open from wyvanhoe the waters from the dam down to the limits of the fresh all still hold fish.

You just need to be sly.

But isnt that what defines fresh water from going reef fishing?

Angus

well I must admit I have not heard any reports of bass or goldens being caught there but there is no doubting the possibility of sporadic schools of fish.

Just out of curiosity, did you catch the lung fish up or down from the pipes?

I found that the introduction of elodea to colleges has reduced the amount of large fish being caught but has created an unbelievable nursery system which should help fish stocks in the river.

I've caught a 38cm bass on a green \"Slavko Bug\" near Colleges. I put the old surf ski in at Colleges and paddled about 1km upstream, then started pelting lures around. There are stacks of goods good snags up that way. My old man has caught a few similar sized bass up there as well, all on lures.

Angus: I've seen those pipes that you rave about and wondered whether they would be worth fishing off. I've heard so many stories of sharks around Colleges but I've always driven past to Kookaburra or the Junction if I go sharking. The amount of weed in the area has always put me off. Maybe this season I'll give it a go... I still think it needs to warm up a bit for sharks yet though. At the junction last weekend we couldn't even catch a catfish!

Werewolf: I was there wednesday mate (colleges) and the weed is worse than it used to be. I think die to the lack of rain it has ceased being tidal.

I would now be more inclined to hit up kookooburra park if sharking was the plan.

Im also keen to try the park at Moggill Ferry for sharks come summer.

Angus

Archived