Is this legal?

samsteele115

I'm in the process of getting roof racks/haven't been bothered to get any yet ;).

My kayak actually fits in my hatchback :silly: and I have been taking it a few minutes down the road to the creeks but haven't ventured further than that.

I'm thinking of yakking the pine today and want to make sure if what I'm doing is legal or not.

I get some strange looks as you could imagine, but visibility is good haha. Can see out of all windows and mirrors except for the passenger seat mirror.

post-11925-144599008481_thumb.jpg

post-11925-144599008493_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance!

PS Ant you still have mine!
You know I'm old and forgetful, you need to remind me of these things ;)

It's not just visibility you have to worry about Sam, where will the kayak go in case you have to stop suddenly or have an accident? Soft racks are by far a better option for little outlay, I think I have some here that I can sell actually :whistle:

Honestly dont know, Mate used to get pinged by the coppers when I was a kid for having the back window up on a station wagon, but that could have just been the usual harassment of kids that went on back in those days.

You would definitely need to tie down the hatch, and make sure there nothing else in there that could be classed as "unrestrained"

I used soft roof racks for my first 3 years of kayaking. In this time I had an Espri, Outback, Revo and a Superlite X. Never had any dramas with a denting the roof on my little Hyundai Accent and most of them weighed over 25kgs.

Personally I can't see any dramas with having the yak in the car, but then again I am not big on safety as I don't go through life thinking what's the worst thing that could happen to me every time I drive my car…otherwise I would wear a bike helmet while driving.

Maybe that's what you could do???

Archived