My new project - 4.9 tinnie

Feral

Brian D wrote:

where do I sit?

see that daggy looking bit of floor?:evil:

Seats 4 on the seats, but will have large esky on board (with cushion) so one can sit in the middle, and we can all fish both sides of the boat. Eventually I will put in an island seat that the esky fits inside of!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She had \"Silver Bullet\" painted with a spray can on the bum when I got her, bad luck to change a boats name, so will probably stick with that!

She went like a dream today. all day on the main batteries, they were still at 40% at the end of the day!

Had a spare 40lb thrust motor from Ray along just in case she had problems in the wind, but she went well on one motor. Only time we ran the second motor was to sprint down to lunch, did not give much extra speed anyway. Wind was quite strong at times, she handled it no worries!

Caught more than 20 bass in her today, so she is well and truly christened!

Still has some minor leaks, ran the bilge pump at lunch for aboyr 2 minutes to clear the water, being so flat bottomed, it was not deep enough to run the pump until we drasgged her up the bank a bit to make all the water flow to the back.

More than happy to leave it be.

rayke1938 wrote:

With all the weight in the stern you will need both Brian and myself and 4 bags of cement to hold the bow down. Do you need foam for flotation?

Ray

Don't worry Ray - I put on so much weight over the Christmas season that I can act as natural ballice :blush:

No need for sand bags I have a spare tyre. ;)

By the way - I retract every bad word I have ever said about the \"Silver Dive Wreck\". It is the best friggin fresh water boat I have been in. I know it has a bit of work yet to be done but full credit to you guys for seeing beyond the wreck. B)

I think you should rename her \"Rough Dimond\"B) [img size=428]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/me.jpg

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/12/31 12:36

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/12/31 12:38

post-118-144598404779_thumb.jpg

\"Rough Diamond\" eh?

Very good, might consider a name change. Will ask the graphic artist who will be finishing off the paint work (Ferg's other half!)

If I ever get around to painting it that is, its a going concern now, be mighty tempted to \"fish\" rather than work on it!.

rayke1938 wrote:

Still waiting for the pin striping and scroll work to be done on the trailer.

Ray

Yeah didn't Angus volunteer for that?

Gotta do a few mods on the trailer yet, move a roller here and there, extend the support on the winch post to give the winch more room.

As for the boat, the existing exterior pain is flaking quite a bit, so it really needs a good going over with a high pressure cleaner or similar before it can be painted. Cant do that until the water restrictions are lifted! (I could do it at Ray's but I dont think mum would appreciate the snowfall of paint flakes on her front lawn!)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/31 16:12

Brian D wrote:

By the way - I retract every bad word I have ever said about the \"Silver Dive Wreck\". It is the best friggin fresh water boat I have been in. I know it has a bit of work yet to be done but full credit to you guys for seeing beyond the wreck. B)

You are forgiven Brian! anyway I take all barbs with the good spirit they are given in!

Today I even pulled out some old nav lights Ray found in his stash somewhere, and fitted them, no wiring yet mind you!

Wont be any room for paint although wont be any BRC stickers as they are too small .

Everyone knows that there are t facts associated with the number of stickers you have on your boat.

Fact one. You catch more fish.

Fact two. Your whatiss grows by 6 inches.

Ray.

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2006/12/31 18:35

• 3 weeks later...

Well the silver bullet has been out on 3 or 4 trips, and I have made a few mods to the boat and the trailer to improve things.

First up I have added an extra roller, a self centering one about half way along the trailer. This area already had a guide roller, it is the first horizontal cross member ( IE the first one not in a V shape). The guide roller was just to make sure the boat did not drag on the cross member, and is permanently fixed about 10mm above the chassis rail to allow for maximum adjustment of other rollers. It worked fine, but the boat tended to yaw about when winching in, and it was a big gap to the next roller, I was worried about the load on the keel on the rollers forward of this area, so a self centring roller fixed both issues.

This view from the rear of the trailer, the boat initially hits the blue roller and then the self centreing unit. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/newroller1.jpg

post-134-144598405463_thumb.jpg

Next up I fitted navigation lights and all round white light,and bilge pump.

This required a fuse box and some switches. The switches are temporarily mounted in a piece of aluminium angle, I will neaten that up when I get around to buying some marine switches instead of the el cheap auto ones I had lying around! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/switches.jpg

post-134-144598405471_thumb.jpg

Anderson Plugs everywhere!

All batteries, the motor and the main battery charger all have Anderson plugs, so swapping about from battery to battery or to charger takes seconds, and cant be done incorrectly!

The charger connections in the photo belong to a small one I am only using short term, so I can charge the backup batteries at the same time as the main batteries. I have got a better charger lined up that is auto switching that will get the Anderson plug, and be used for the backup batteries.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/anderson_plugs_everywhere.jpg

post-134-14459840548_thumb.jpg

Kids and \"she who must be obeyed\" complained about the sun. Got an offer of a Bimini frame from a mate of Rays, but have not taken him up on it at this stage (I hate them, get in the way when fishing) So this is the el-cheapo compromise.

[img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/brooly_full_shot.jpg

post-134-144598405485_thumb.jpg

See I have advanced into the 21st century, no more number 8 fencing wire for me, I use these new fangled zip ties instead! This is the tempory mount for the bottom of the brolly, a length of 50mm stainless tube, zip tied to the front shelves. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/brolly_mount.jpg

post-134-144598405488_thumb.jpg

The roller I was using as the front stop for the boat in front of the winch was to close, with the shackle in the winch cable pulling around the winch when the boat was fully one. So I cut that off, and added a longer mount, using a small V block.

It works fine now, plenty of room for the winch cable shackles etc, but I am going to add a metal catcher behind the V block just for piece of mind, in case the V block breaks or whatever, I will still have something to pull the boat up against. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/front_mount.jpg

post-134-144598405491_thumb.jpg

Last but not least! with the boat being so flatbottomed, we had built a traditional deep V trailer, to get it to sit on the centre rollers put the outer edges right into the guards. So I have to move the guards out an inch each side (see moved mount holes on guards) and cut the inner 50mm out of the guards to give enough clearance for the boat to clear the guards. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/guard_trim_and_move.jpg

post-134-144598405494_thumb.jpg

dazzamcgee wrote:

mate she's lookin good!!!!!!:woohoo:

r u going to give her a lick of paint??what colour??

wish I had a boat...:(

Paint is an issue, I am thinking about painting her, but the existing paint is very chalky and flaking off. To paint it it really needs a good go over with a high pressure hose and a good scrub. Cant do either under current water restrictions. So she will stay like that for a while. I will get a name and picture painted on the new sheet on the back, just got to arrange it with Fergs Missus! (she is the artist)

Keep looking Dazza, one will turn up sooner or later.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/01/19 14:25

the use of water to clean your boat would be frowned upon. But most water restrictions are related to gardeningI would check out the council website or go your local carlovers, or have an auto detailer do it as it would be business related then. And more flexible for water restrictions.

Feral wrote:

Kids and \"she who must be obeyed\" complained about the sun. Got an offer of a Bimini frame from a mate of Rays, but have not taken him up on it at this stage (I hate them, get in the way when fishing) So this is the el-cheapo compromise.

[img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/brooly_full_shot.jpg

My wife wants one of them.

How things have changed look at the close up photo of the roller at top of page looks like a stainless cotter pin. Whatever happened to a bit of welding rod?

Might be giving the 6hp johno a bit of a workout on Monday as I am going fishing down the pin in the Hydrofield. Its a shakeout multipurpose trip. I want to show the boat to Vhris Murphy at Cabbage tree Point boat hire as he is a hydrofield fan and has never seen a centre console model and then I have to pick up my two new toys at horizon Shores.

Ray

Archived