New chinese outboard (Maxus) vs used outboard options

Eages

Howdy all

We're new to owning a boat and our first crack at boat ownership has resulted in buying a dud engine. We knew the risks going into purchase and half expected something like that to happen. For the cost, we have decided against a rebuild for a 79 model that we know little about its history.

We are replacing a 55hp Johnson on a fibreglass hull rated to 60hp with front control and power tilt/trim. We have very simple boating ambitions basically just popping out into Port Phillip Bay and knocking some flatties on the head. Given the hull planed very easily at less than full throttle with the Johnson running on basically 1 cyclinder we will consider anything from 40-60hp. We have a budget of $4k, plus installation.

These are our options as we see it:

- Common brand used outboard from private seller for $3-4k - unknown history, no warranty, possibly higher power

- Common brand used outboard from dealer for $4-6k - possible history, 3 month warranty, likely lower end power

- Chinese brand Maxus 2 stroke 40hp, $4k - 3 year warranty, new, low end of power range

/>http://www.maxusoutboards.com.au/outboard-motor-40-hp-2-stroke-long-shaft-forward-control-electric-start-power-tilt-trim.html

So our questions:

- How much should an install be?

- Is buying from a private seller worth the risk?

- For our unambitious boating plans is the extra hp worth it?

- Has anyone got feedback on the Maxus?

Thanks

I've not heard of the Maxus, but I imagine they're much like the Parsun's outboards that BCF are selling. Sure they're cheap, but that's what China does best.

For around $4k you can get a Yamaha 40hp, which unlike the Maxus is tried and tested, offers plenty of support and servicing and will even have resale. For an extra couple of hundred bucks, I would go with something built in Japan any day over China. The price below is a Queensland price, not Victoria, but should be a good indicator.

Yamaha 40hp Price

Mate

I can provide a positive review on these, as I installed mine about a year ago. Although I picked on up at a steal and a massive gamble everything worked out well.

I've now got over 60 hours on mine and it hasn't missed a beat.

Don't believe the China is shit story (for products under 60HP). For a company to build and sell a product in a well established market, it would be economical suicide for it to be substandard. Everything is made in china.

Yes the technology is old, carb, premix ect. ect.. But that same technology can be found in outboards built 40 years ago that are still running today.

Same parts as the Yamaha alternatives. So you can order any spares from the states.

The thing I liked when I got mine. Came with New Steering system + Full Spares Including New NKG Plugs & a complete water pump assembly for serving.

By the time you add the options of the Yamaha one quoted (forward controls, electric tilt & Trim, Electric start) there's an extra $3K worth of extras.

Here's a bit of a story of when I bought it

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/outboards-and-motors/440794-opportunity-to-upgrade-outboard-only-8-hours-to-decide

Installation's a piece of piss as well.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Archived