Drilling holes in aluminium hulls - Correctly!

bootyinblue

Guys, I am thinking of installing some extra rod holders in my boat along with the bait board. I know that once you take the paint off the hull, it can be susceptible to all sorts of nasty reactions. What is the correct way to treat the raw edges prior to installing the rod holders.

I had some ski hooks fitted before I picked up the boat originally and now there are pain blisters and bubbling around then. Been back to dealer who fitted/sold the rig and have not heard back from him after 4 emails, so they are about to go on the 'Lets rid them' thread.

But for the moment, just need advice on how to treat and cover the raw edges.

AZZA wrote:

Hi the product I was told about is Duralac to treat holes I haven't picked up any yet but I supose any good chandlery would stock it.

I have that stuff, Cost me $30 for a tube:blink: .A tip, if you're using a steal brakets that run a couple of inches place rubber or something like that between the two metals. Use the Duralac in holes and small areas.

Jayson

AZZA wrote:

Also a trick when drilling alli is to spray a small amount of WD40 or such onto hole saw this will stop the teeth of hole saw clogging up and go slow.

Better still me and Gaz used Lemon Fresh dishawashing liquid. Lubes well, has a nice lemon scent and blows great bubbles!

Will post some pics shortly of the finished project, and put all the doubters out of their misery.

One of the biggest problems we have found is poor paint application. You would be surprised how many manufacturers don't prep the alluminium before they paint it. The other issue to watch out for is creating too much heat when you are making the holes causing the paint to delaminate and allow water underneath it. Add some duralac or sikaflex to the raw edges and in the screw holes. As long as you can stop most of the saltwater getting in between the dissimilar metals then you will minimise corrosion.

bootyinblue wrote:

AZZA wrote:
Also a trick when drilling alli is to spray a small amount of WD40 or such onto hole saw this will stop the teeth of hole saw clogging up and go slow.

Better still me and Gaz used Lemon Fresh dishawashing liquid. Lubes well, has a nice lemon scent and blows great bubbles!

Will post some pics shortly of the finished project, and put all the doubters out of their misery.

It does TOO :woohoo: lmao

Archived