Bullies are back

Lozzel

Went to Kooka for a few hours last nite.

Arrived at 4.30pm ,launched and went searching for some livies.

Headed upriver to avoid the \"Skilice\", no bait to be found anywhere. By this time the skiers had mostly gone, so went down to the corner where we casted and got 12 bonys around 100mm and some large herring.

Anchored up in the usual place, soon after had a run but no joy. Glenda got a cattie and a pikeie. By this time, Pual (username_taken)phoned to say he was at the ramp,Picked him up and back to the corner we went.

All went abit quiet as the tide turned,with only a couple more eels being caught and baits being lost to crabs. At 8.30 Glenda had a massive run and a good fight ,with the fish pulling plenty of drag.Alas only to be bitten off through the wire at the boat. Atleast we got to see the fish which was the biggest bullie i've seen in the river,at well over 1mtr and fat. nothing after that only lost all the baits to crabs and eels, pulled out at 10.pm

Paul had a few hits that resulted in being bitten off. Could have been a bullie , as I think he was only using a mono leader. Better luck next time for you and me.

With the warmer weather and the river alot cleaner than last trip I think the next full moon will be the go again.

Laurie.

Good stuff Loz, I'm keen to catch my first shark this season, I have not targeted them before, but it sounds like fun.

Once again the boys are outfished by the girls, how do they do it!?

Makes me worried about the upcoming charter, my wife will probably do the same...again.

Rocket

its not that they dont bite but the bite rate can definately drop coated wire helps so can taping up swivels and hooks ive tried paint on insulate and normal house paint for this the house paint seemed to work the best another idea is to sharpen your hooks then paint them with spray pain thus insulating them then cut trace and crimp etc then paint the end of the coated wire with a bit of house paint on a cotton tip then tape either side of the swivel \"to allow twist still\" with insulating tape and your done then leave hanging up till the paint smell goes this can be a couple of days or months depending on paints used:)

Brilliant news Lozzel, you've made my day:) I've seen wire up to 90 pound bit through, but that must have been a monster. We normally use 30-60 pound coated wire on sub metre bullies with minimal problems. Jeff reports the occasional bite through as well but not sure what pound wire he uses.

Werewolf. When I first started at Kooka (Feb 2007) I used the 100 lb coated , on a 15kg stick and TLD 25. Couldnt hold the bugger with 30lb braid & 60lb leader. Bit off about 8\" above the hooks.

Was using a 30cm live bony for bait.

Would like to have seen her thou. :angry:

werewolf wrote:

Brilliant news Lozzel, you've made my day:) I've seen wire up to 90 pound bit through, but that must have been a monster. We normally use 30-60 pound coated wire on sub metre bullies with minimal problems. Jeff reports the occasional bite through as well but not sure what pound wire he uses.

i only use 18\" shop bought traces, i think they are about 30pounds. i dont get enough bite throughs to warrant going any bigger

Lozz, there are certainly the occasional BIG MUMMA sharks in there. Kinda scary considering how many people swim in there. To bite through that pound wire they must be pretty big!!!

EDIT: woops missed Jeff's post:laugh: Yeah I think we argued long vs short trace beforeB) I often get busted up on shorter traces so tend to use a couple of feet worth:blush: I must be unlucky!

Archived