Tingalpa Reservoir: What Are The Facts

Angus

I have been told lately a few conflicting things about this body of water and was wondering if anyone firm information.

I think the topic has been thrown around a few times on here but I wanted to start a fresh thread in case there was revised and updated information. 

It seems like a relatively large body of water to go wasted?

So does anyone know what the factual deal is?

Is there potential for it to be fished?

Is it just lacking a stocking association or something?

Or has it been ruled strictly no go for some reason? (And what could be done to change this)?

It looks like it would make an awesome little bass and toga fishery.

Angus

11 minutes ago, christophagus said:

straight from the horses mouth at SEQWATER. "There are no recreation activities permitted on Leslie Harrison Dam"

I cannot find any updated or new info about rec activities, so id take the below site as correct

http://www.seqwater.com.au/water-supply/dam-operations/leslie-harrison-dam**

Yeah I was aware you cannot go on now... 

I would love to know what avenues (if any) exist to make it a paddle only dam. Seems like a waste otherwise :)

Angus

Couple of years ago someone (not sure who now) was trying to get something happening thru the local mp, but havnt heard anything since, (pretty sure it was a member of AFO) will have a look thru older posts a see if I can find it. EZY

Found the post Dec 22 2006 by  FERAL ,titled letter to water minister, hope it helps.

Anyone remember tv parody called Yes Minister" or back further still to radio character greenbottle. Well they ball pale into insignificance to this.

From memory Des Charles ( I think) put a proposal to the Redlands council to establish a fishery in the dam and asked for rights to run a charter business there. This would have been in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

The and as well up till the dam was taken over by SEQ water the council have been opposed to ny on water or even waterside use of the dam.

I have correspondence going back around 10 years with the council and the answer has been a simple NO.

During the Newman government we had plenty of promises /press releases but no significant progress.

My local counciller and state MP both basically said not in my electorate go away.

I could not even get support from the council or state members ( Dam is bounded by 2 state electorates) to call a meeting to form a stocking group.

Then we have change of government so back to square one.

SEQ water past masters of passing the buck and delay tactics.

A review of the recreational use of the dam just keeps being delayed for various reasons.

I realise that there are major issues with the dam wall that are taking a long time to resolve but to my mind that in itself is a good reason to complete the review and establish some infrastructure such as a ramp whilst the dam is at record low levels.

Same reason that a stocking group could be formed and stocking of bass could be established.

Anyone wanting to see a bit of the latest saga just google leslie Harrison dam and read some of the  articles.

http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/1364014/leslie-harrison-dam-to-open-for-recreational-use/

http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/3389589/plans-to-open-leslie-harrison-dam-sink/

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/southeast/leslie-harrison-dam-a-no-go-zone-for-canoes-after-seqwater-pulls-the-pl

The ball is now with SEQ Water and good luck to anyone who wants to  kick it along as my head is too sore from banging it against the bureaucratic brick wall.

Cheers

Ray

4 hours ago, Angus said:

I know it might seem a shallow effort but maybe a petition of interested anglers. It would only be worth while of we could gee up good support.

Once my current batch of assignments and exams are over (as well as end of year accounting) I will spend a little time on this.

The fact a kayak cannot even be launched much less fished out of is just silly.

Angus

• 3 years later...
On 08/06/2016 at 9:03 AM, rayke1938 said:

Anyone remember tv parody called Yes Minister" or back further still to radio character greenbottle. Well they ball pale into insignificance to this.

From memory Des Charles ( I think) put a proposal to the Redlands council to establish a fishery in the dam and asked for rights to run a charter business there. This would have been in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

The and as well up till the dam was taken over by SEQ water the council have been opposed to ny on water or even waterside use of the dam.

I have correspondence going back around 10 years with the council and the answer has been a simple NO.

During the Newman government we had plenty of promises /press releases but no significant progress.

My local counciller and state MP both basically said not in my electorate go away.

I could not even get support from the council or state members ( Dam is bounded by 2 state electorates) to call a meeting to form a stocking group.

Then we have change of government so back to square one.

SEQ water past masters of passing the buck and delay tactics.

A review of the recreational use of the dam just keeps being delayed for various reasons.

I realise that there are major issues with the dam wall that are taking a long time to resolve but to my mind that in itself is a good reason to complete the review and establish some infrastructure such as a ramp whilst the dam is at record low levels.

Same reason that a stocking group could be formed and stocking of bass could be established.

Anyone wanting to see a bit of the latest saga just google leslie Harrison dam and read some of the  articles.

http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/1364014/leslie-harrison-dam-to-open-for-recreational-use/

http://www.redlandcitybulletin.com.au/story/3389589/plans-to-open-leslie-harrison-dam-sink/

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/southeast/leslie-harrison-dam-a-no-go-zone-for-canoes-after-seqwater-pulls-the-pl

The ball is now with SEQ Water and good luck to anyone who wants to  kick it along as my head is too sore from banging it against the bureaucratic brick wall.

Cheers

Ray

Is your head still too sore? I could perhaps pick up the ball for a little while. 

• 8 months later...

Hi IlanC

I personally know nothing, but type into Google/Chrome/Explorer, etc Tingalpa Reservoir Fishing. Go onto some of the websites such as any other posts that come up from this thread, Ausfish, etc. It should give you some information and some other members will probably be much more helpful than me. 😉 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

SEQ water applied the same criteria to Leslie Harrison  to assess its suitability for recreational use as they applied to North Pine dam to see if the recreational use of NPD could be extended. NPD passed Leslie Harrison failed end of argument. The only way Leslie Harrison could be opened up is for it to be taken off the water grid and that is not going to happen tomorrow. There are a lot of people wanting the flood gates to be reinstalled and the previous full supply level to be reinstated. If this was to happen for the dam to meet current national dam safety standards there would have to be massive property resumptions and that also is not going to happen tomorrow. Redlands currently draws the majority of its water supply from the bores on Straddie and there is concern that the water table is collapsing and people on Straddie are agitating for this to be investigated. So in the future Redlands could be more reliant on the water grid.

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

https://www.seqwater.com.au/project/leslie-harrison-dam-upgrade

There is an interesting video here.

I have sent them an email regarding rec fishing. will let you know if I get a response. 

Hi Drop Bear

I will be interested to hear it, I wonder how the current fishery is.

4 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

SEQ water applied the same criteria to Leslie Harrison  to assess its suitability for recreational use as they applied to North Pine dam to see if the recreational use of NPD could be extended. NPD passed Leslie Harrison failed end of argument. The only way Leslie Harrison could be opened up is for it to be taken off the water grid and that is not going to happen tomorrow. There are a lot of people wanting the flood gates to be reinstalled and the previous full supply level to be reinstated. If this was to happen for the dam to meet current national dam safety standards there would have to be massive property resumptions and that also is not going to happen tomorrow. Redlands currently draws the majority of its water supply from the bores on Straddie and there is concern that the water table is collapsing and people on Straddie are agitating for this to be investigated. So in the future Redlands could be more reliant on the water grid.

Hi rayke1938

Thanks for that information, I never knew dams had national standards.

Cheers Hamish

39 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Good morning Robbie

Thanks for your enquiry.

At this time Seqwater has no plans to open Leslie Harrison Dam to public access for water based activities.

Regards

Lyn

Recreation

a 117 Brisbane Street PO Box 328 | Ipswich QLD 4305 

1300 737 928 | w www.seqwater.com.au

Hi Drop Bear

That is a pity, I hope it is up to standards sometime in the future. 

I also hope they open it soon so there can be a big tilly cull 😉 

Cheers Hamish

• 4 weeks later...