Seq Suburbs Of Origin - Round 2 - June 17-19

The Mad Hughesy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Put it this way - your plan sounds more sound than ours (with 20/20 hindsight of course). Our closing discussion included words to the effect of "We should have gone around the mouth". We fished upriver.

Not too much action at the mouth last night either. Dolphins hung around most of the night didn't do wonders for the fishing 

Go get em tonight Kelvin. I went out today but didn't trouble the scorers. Heaps of bream around but my biggest was only 27cm. Small tailor and squire as well, and only one flattie (also undersize).  Weather was magnificent though so not a waste of time.

Hopefully I can contribute to the dead rubber in a couple of weeks.

I had a very dismal day today myself .  Caught under size tusk fish, grassy empora, whiptails and the a 60cm flathead that  self released while I bent down to get the net. 

Looked hard for tuna a lot of the day. Found birds and bait but no tuna. 

Still good to get back out in local waters. 

Unfortunately I didn't manage a squid over 21cm with the biggest being 18cm.  I'll put up a report later as we still had a delicious dinner.  We did see a dugong cruising along the sea grass though... maybe we should add that to the target species next time :P

Got some chunky bream and a nice bay squire but totally dropped the ball for the Southsiders!!! 

As I had resigned my fate to not fishing this weekend when the last minute decision was made the comp totally slipped my mind. 

I will be back for round 3!!!

Angus

2 hours ago, Cmaltby said:

@kmcrosby78 how'd you go last night? 

No good unfortunately. Got there later than I'd hoped due to going to the Illumination Festival with the kids and waiting for ages for our food (which was yummy!!). Couldn't get anything in the net at the poop schute. Wind against tide when I anchored up at the front rockwall which meant my lines were in the same direction as my anchor (which didn't matter as I didn't hook anything that would wrap me around the anchor rope). 

Caught and released Brian's jewie (no photo as they all look the same ..... :whistle:), apart from that just one 27cm bream and a throw back so very disappointing. Wind picked up around midnight (prior to that conditions were fantastic). I tried trolling to hopefully find the tailor out the front but no luck (lots of ribbon weed made it hard) and then light rain came so packed it in and went home. Only one trailer left at the ramp when I got back and that bloke arrived as I was about to leave. He struggled also so am wondering if the barometer reading was no good. Would have thought with the moon phase they would have been chewing their heads off.

Looks like we might have a decider ....

Cracking Spanish Mark. I just woke up from a two hour sleep very fuzzy headed - read your text and then realised something ....... Anyone else done the maths yet ........... Get those Corona's ready Southsiders .........  (might have spoken too early but prepared to risk it .....) :frantics::devil:

Well, well, didn't things turn around .......

Jingle bells, jingle bells, the Southside boys are here,

We're hear to catch your fish, and drink your Corona beer.

So bring out all your fish, we'll put them to the test,

Cause we're the jolly (*insert other word if you prefer ...) Southside boys and we're the jolly best!!

Have you got a bent rod, not yet,

Are you gunna get one, you bet.

So wind it in, SLLOOWWLLLYYYYYY :devil:  

(Adaptation of a song from boarding school).

I'm thinking this event should be one that can stand the test of time and continue each year as it's free, inclusive and creates a lot of banter. Perhaps next year we could get a sponsor to chip in, say $50 worth of fishing gear. to the 'player of the series' (person who submits the most winning fish over the 3 games). Just an idea.

Just while I think of it Chris - we need to decide what happens if there is a tie for one 'game'. I realised over the weekend this could happen if some species are not captured. Choices would be either call it a draw or perhaps a countback by adding up the total lengths of each teams winning fish. Perhaps the latter?

Archived