Borumba Dam Social 12th To 14th May

tugger

I see the dam has leveled out at 82% and remained at that level for more than 2 weeks now which is a good level for the boat ramp use. As we get closer to the social date we do some final planning with the saturday night cook up to see who can bring what tucker the weekend is only 3 weeks away now.

40 minutes ago, Dinodadog said:

When I got home from fishing this morning the wife was on the i pod and she said someone sounded up a big object in the water at Borumba, Police dived and found car with a skeletal body in it. Thats all I know at this stage.

Dino

cold case from 16 years a go apparently.

UPDATE: THE car winched from Borumba Dam on Thursday has been confirmed as that of missing person Stuart Gatehouse.

But Sunshine Coast Crime Group officer Detective Inspector Dave Drinnen said results of forensic examinations being conducted on skeletal remains found inside would need to be finalised before they could confirm whether or not they had found the man missing for 13 years.

Mr Gatehouse would have turned 58 on Thursday.

"At this stage it is far too early in the investigation to be making any speculation as to who the deceased person that was located in that vehicle," Det Insp Drinnen said.

He said a post mortem examination was also being conducted to determine the cause of the occupant's death.

"We have not been able to establish what has transpired in relation to the vehicle that has been located submerged in the dam."

Depth sounding images show a car resting on the bottom of Borumba Dam. The car was later found to contain human remains. Depth sounding images show a car resting on the bottom of Borumba Dam. The car was later found to contain human remains.Terry Allwood

He would neither confirm nor deny reports a firearm was also retrieved from the submerged car.

The red VL Holden Commodore was identified by a fisherman using a depth sounder during a contest on the dam on March 25.

It was reported to police later that day.

Basstasstic Fishing Club competition organiser Russell Nowland was on the water when one of his fellow club members came across it.

"We've come across all sorts of stuff with the electric sounders," Mr Nowland said.

He was shocked to learn on Thursday the car had a body in it.

"It is terrible find you find out someone is in the car," Mr Nowland said.

Depth sounding images show a car resting on the bottom of Borumba Dam. The car was later found to contain human remains. Depth sounding images show a car resting on the bottom of Borumba Dam. The car was later found to contain human remains.Terry Allwood

He was also surprised by the length of time between the car find being reported and its retrieval.

Det Insp Drinnen said heavy rain and flooding had delayed the retrieval of the car.

"You have to remember that we went through a fairly major weather event over that period," Det Insp Drinnen said.

"The information at the time... all we had was an object that was in the water and its quite deep out at the dam there.

"So when we get divers up here this is where we come to."

He was unaware if a police search of the dam had been conducted in the 13 years since Mr Gatehouse went missing.

Clayton's heavy recovery equipment recovered the car from the dam yesterday afternoon. 

Just under 2 weeks to go before this social i will be heading up early friday and set up the camp we will be at the camp ground just below the dam wall there is no camping on the dam. So this is the closest camp to the dam it is only 2 miutes drive to the ramp. We should get a good turn out for this social so come along if you want to meet the crew from AFO.

A week out and so far we have going

Tugger

Binder

Demarc

Drop Bear

Bi_polar

Stradiebrad ?

Cmatby ?

K-Lub

My son Brock and a few friends will also be coming so if anyone else is wanting to come along to this social let us know here so we can look out for you when we are all up there.

17 hours ago, Binder said:

With Ray off getting his shoulder done, that puts me out as well (as I was going to be his deckie).

Ok scratch another we will still see good numbers up there as plenty of older members are coming this weekend I know will be heading up just after lunch on friday when my son gets home

3 hours ago, demarc said:

Myself and Janelle will be up Saturday Tugger. I plan on letting captin intoxication out so will leave the tinny at home.

Sweet i will have my boat up there if you want to jump in, Brock will be fishing with his mate Dylan in his little tinnie

18 minutes ago, tugger said:

Sweet i will have my boat up there if you want to jump in, Brock will be fishing with his mate Dylan in his little tinnie

Cheers mate! I just plan to show Janelle round the country side first and find a 4x4 track and go for a wheel. Then I have a date with 30 green ones with you by the fire.

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 10:51 AM, demarc said:

Cheers mate! I just plan to show Janelle round the country side first and find a 4x4 track and go for a wheel. Then I have a date with 30 green ones with you by the fire.

Plenty of forest tracks around there to spin the wheels on and we will put down a few coldies at the end of the day

Great weekend up at the dam bit quiet from the social side with only 2 of us going from AFO but with my son and a mate Dylan we had fun. The bass were schooled up and it was easy catching scores of them with a few yellas mixed in like Julian said the best bass went 45cm and the best yella was 48cm.

There was saratoga rising around us on saturday morning but we could not hook them and we saw deer right at the waters edge at the same time. I went and picked up Julian and Janelle mid morning and by then the young fellas had found the big school of bass this is where janelle caught here 1st bass and we caught plenty more.

Saturday night was typical of our social with the fire roaring and the food cooking over the coals it was a top night with the stars out it was so clear up there with no lights around you can see clearly all the milky way. The chhoks cooked on the rotiserie and the veges in the camp ovens then dinner was followed by desert with camp oven baked butterscotch pudding and it was delicious. Sunday was a beautiful day again and the boys found some big bass on the lures we saw a ski boat that had a supercharged V8 in it that could be heard for miles away even echoing off the mountains.

Top camp site up there and i will be back there for sure.

20170513_193310.thumb.jpg.07d7aad355c1b0795e1a9104a01c6a31.jpg

Is such a picturesque dam and one I enjoy fishing even if there are no fish are caught.

Pity it fell on Mothers day otherwise I would have come up with the Kayak. The roast chook and Butterscott self saucing pudding i thought would have drawn a lot more to the social. Thanks for putting the effort into arranging it. You sound like you all enjoyed the peace of nature except for the Ski boat!

Rules are rules and we have to abide by them but, it would so nice to spend the night on the dam in a quite inlet with the high mountains giving way to glass like water and slight dance of sunset reflections as the sun goes down. Already dreaming of when I get my boat back in 2 weeks time.

Archived