Kayaks??

Confused

Hey guys, Well i'm finally doing it i went and sat in a kayak for the first time on the floor of a shop, and was hooked. I ordered a new viking PROFISH, Any thoughts on what im about to buy, I'm totally an impulse buyer and if i likes i get! I plan to do alot of open water fishing, I do alot of camping at fraser,moreton and DI and was planning to get it out around the headlands / close reefs etc, any input from people who have actually done this before would be nice, People have told me anything 5k out is reachable?? or are they telling me lies? Not that im really thinking of doing it untill i feel confident. Also i'm getting a sounder fitted. Good idea?

I only use a kayak in esturies but I reckon get yourself really organised and confident before you go that far out. Fitness is also a massive factor. 5K against a strong headwind is a very very long way. You'd want to be a good efficient paddler that is for shure. Not saying it isn't realistic but you'd need to work up to it.

If you end up heading around those areas like Fraser where the waters are shark infested you might consider getting one of those shark repeller things. I can't remember the name but if you look up the member list and find Alby you'll be able to search his forum for them. He installed one not too long ago (June maybe?).

[Come to think of it he hasn't posted much since then:dry: :S ]

EDIT: Definitely get a sounder.

Hey Confused. We will soon have the Profish 45 Kayak (as son as they are ready!!) in the AFO shop. As soon as that happens ill do a comprohensive report.

From what i have seen of them so far:

* No need to get extra rod holders, except a scotty rod holder. These are brilliant when trolling.

* Bungee cords over the back well are awesome.

* Get at least one hatch as you will find it very useful.

* Get the rudder if you plan to use it in the open ocean. If you want to use it in Lakes and esturies i would be less worried.

* Have a look at the grips on either end. I would order 2 extra ones to go side to side. This will make lifting the yak much more managable solo.

If i think of anything else ill shout out!

Angus

brilliant thanks heaps angus, I have to wait 2 aggonising weeks till it arives and then im goin in to get it decked out, alll of your thoughts, sounder, and hatches on both ends as well as a gas lifter on the front hatch, No expense spared oh yeah and a shark shield ( elicat made me think/and now im scared lol!)however i think my arm or leg is worth the $700

Dan23 wrote:

Bommie wrote:
How about this one:ohmy: notice what it is laying on [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/img042_AFO.jpg

That is completely mental. It looks like it'd be 20ft long!:cheer:

I reckon I'd handle it on bream gear fine though:huh: right?

Vic always was good for a show for the media!

Archived