Stay Safe

Drop Bear

Its crazy that they went out,  that wind was howling all of Saturday night,  fingers crossed they are safe.  

I was on the water last night and there is heaps of debris already in the middle of the bay . 

Keep a eye out when travelling at night guys ,  we almost hit a few decent floating objects heading home in the dark.   

2 hours ago, benno573 said:

3.3m tinny in 25-30kn in the bay... WHY?????

Yep. I am trying not to be judgey as it is a tragedy but I agree... Saying that I have had my 3.7 in 25 knots but it was SE and I went out to Green Island at low tide. It was fine but at one point I was going slowly so as not to get bumped around and at the top of a particularly large wave the wind spun me around nearly 180o.  I had to get some quampies for a show I was doing but I don't think I would again today. There are a lot of people on social media saying "Send it" when it is too rough. I hope they are reminded of this incident for next time. 

Stupid boys.

Look, I can say "I hope they're okay" however with the time frame you sorta have to face the inevitable.

Currents, winds etc just on the first night would create a several hundred square klm search area let alone this far along. 

Hats off the all of the search crews as well. Tiring relentless job. 

I'm guilty of these shananigans myself in my younger years. Yes it is bloody stupid....but it's fun at the time. Unfortunately these fellas most likely have paid the ultimate price. 

I will say though that with the conditions on saturday we would have stayed well south of where they were and definitely wearing our jackets.   

A very large police boat and two coastguard boats were going back and forward from past Mud Island and down towards Peel today, as well as a couple of helicopters hovering over each of the islands at low tide.

I'm not going to comment on their decision to go out fishing. I know I've taken the 14ft tinny I had out to Mud Island in 15-20kn winds and it wasn't pleasant and I had to be careful, but I felt safe. In saying that, particularly when I did it in the dark, I think this incident has reinforced that I should have had a lifejacket on. Hopefully others will learn from their mistake - I feel for their families.