Hello all,

I am going fishing at Flinders Reef in a few weeks and was wondering how to fish it. Should i throw poppers and stick-baits towards reef, troll or bait. I am really hoping to catch larger size fish such as Dolphin Fish, GTs, Macs, tuna and any other large pelagic species rather than small whiting and bream. Would really appreciate any advice given.

Thanks

Just check your sounder and see what you can spot on it, It's been a while since I fished there last , I was actually heading out there about two weeks ago and got within about 15 minutes of there and my motor went into limp mode so had to do a U'Turn and crawl home. But that shoal has everything from big palagic to bottom dwellers.

FishyBoy184:   If you are after some fish in the XL size and have a live bait tank setup on board, it would certainly make your day interesting to float out a live bait on a balloon and wait whilst you do some bottom bashing. 5-10m down should do the trick! A bit like dangling a carrot and ringing the dinner bell to see who's  hungry in the area. 😀 You will often see bait clouds on  many of the reefs there so just use a Sabiki style jig to fill your tanks with live bait ,  you might also loose your jig when something takes a liking to the bait on your jigs as you pull them up so have a few spare.

Cheers

Ed.

• 4 weeks later...