Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all,


I am going fishing at Flinders Reef in a few weeks and was wondering how to fish it. Should i throw poppers and stick-baits towards reef, troll or bait. I am really hoping to catch larger size fish such as Dolphin Fish, GTs, Macs, tuna and any other large pelagic species rather than small whiting and bream. Would really appreciate any advice given.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just check your sounder and see what you can spot on it, It's been a while since I fished there last , I was actually heading out there about two weeks ago and got within about 15 minutes of there and my motor went into limp mode so had to do a U'Turn and crawl home. But that shoal has everything from big palagic to bottom dwellers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FishyBoy184:   If you are after some fish in the XL size and have a live bait tank setup on board, it would certainly make your day interesting to float out a live bait on a balloon and wait whilst you do some bottom bashing. 5-10m down should do the trick! A bit like dangling a carrot and ringing the dinner bell to see who's  hungry in the area. 😀 You will often see bait clouds on  many of the reefs there so just use a Sabiki style jig to fill your tanks with live bait ,  you might also loose your jig when something takes a liking to the bait on your jigs as you pull them up so have a few spare.



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Latest Posts

  • Similar Content

    • By Cloedk1
      Hi guys,has anyone been catching redclaw at North pine dam? Hopping this rain will help 
      Hi all
      After an invitation for a decky spot with Ray ( @rayke1938 ) to catch some bass and fish the dam (very kind 🙂), it was organised for Dad ( @Cavvy ) and me to go out on North Pine Dam and try for some fish. Anticipation was building in our household, and after prepping some gear the night before Dad and I were up a bit before four to depart to the dam. We drove for about 50 minutes, and were there at about ten past five. We met Ray, loaded up the boat and got everything ready, and went to the ramp to launch. Ray expertly backed the car down and in no time the electric motor was taking us away to the first duty of the day - shrimp traps! 

      Half a sign 😕

      Heading Out
      We got to the traps, and Dad got it with the pole. The first one had a fair few shrimp in, as did the others. Each time we got some and tipped them back into the bait tank. In the traps, there were a few Redclaw which weren't welcome as well. In no time we had enough bait, and we were getting to the next spot 🙂. The traps we were using were made well, and they all looked very professional!

      Gathering top notch livies 
      The lines were dropped down, and within about five minutes Ray was bringing up the first fish of the day. It was fighting nicely, and soon enough there was a nice yella on deck. Since Ray was keeping some fish for someone, the yella was tethered and put back over the side. I was pretty excited, as the day had gone off to a great start! Unfortunately for me, the first 'fish' I got was a tiny forky, which spat the Wide Gape hook just as I was about to get it up onto the boat. In another few minutes, I had a bigger one which also did the same. Soon, we moved spots from this to a location that was further upstream. 

      It didn't take long for Ray to find the fish - he was on first. It was an awesome Aussie Bass! It didn't take long for all three of us to hook one though. They sure are hard fighters - it is great fun getting them up. Dad had the little 1000 Sienna reel and I had a 2500, so I had a bit more drag pressure. Dad was letting them run though, and as he says, "Son, you can even make a small fish a big fish with a loose drag". 😉. All of our first bass for the day were not massive, but I was still very happy with the capture!

      Bass Galore!
      After that initial bass, mine and Dad's first ever, we got to pulling them up. It was incredible - we'd drop a bait down, a couple nibbles, then another bass! Bass, bass, bass! Up went the clicker, and the misty, grey coverage of the clouds was keeping us nice and cool from the sun. The water hardly had a ripple, and it was certainly an exciting time! A couple bass were gut hooked, so they were fed to Percy + friends, who crowded the boat, clearly hoping for a free feed. The rod was practically pulling me in, and I was cranking the bass up as hard as I could. Each time the Wide Gape hook was easy to get out with the crushed barb. Very smart idea, Ray! I could release the bass boat side, which was good as well. 
      Sooner or later, Ray hooked up to something a bit bigger. It took a big run, and was pulling hard, and when we got sight it was a giant. A massive bass (for us, anyways) was netted up, and put on the measure mat. At a grand total of 51CM (I believe anyways) he was a real horse, and after some good photos Ray released him back to the depths for someone else to catch. It was really great watching the bass master himself in action, and I thought that one was a real biggun!

      After that biggun, we kept pulling up more and more bass. It was the quickest fishing I'd ever seen in my life! Drop the bait down, nibbles.. Fish! The fish were really hard fighters too, and even the relatively small ones put up a hard fight. It's worth mentioning we each got more keepers here. Dad and I caught three which we tethered, and I believe Ray got two or three bass. After a few more fish, I hooked onto a good one. It took a run, and after getting him and netting him I managed to get my first 40CM bass up - new PB!

      Some more were caught here
      Now, here's something funny for you that both Ray and my father were probably getting increasingly irate at... Every time I caught a bass, I'd pick it up like a normal fish. Except, it always managed to flop out because I wasn't very good at holding them in the mouth 😉. Bass on the net, on the floor, on everything in jumping range. Lol. I sort of got it after some pricks to the thumb, so hopefully the next time (if) I ever catch a bass again, I'll be able to hold it correctly!
      Soon after this, and a few more fish, the bite went a bit quiet here. The school had decided to move on, so after a bit more fishing here we decided to do so too. The sun had came out now, so I was rugged up in my balaclava, hat, sunnies, gloves, shoes, shorts, and trousers. No sunburn for me today! At the next spot, it was still pretty quiet - I managed two bass, and then it went to nothing, so we moved on again. We tried a bit more, but then we moved to a FAD. Ray showed Dad and I exactly how they work - smart really. Big metal rods to attract fish, right around the float marking it.
      Ray said there might be some yellas here, and straight away Dad was on. It was taking some great runs, and after a nice tussle, up came some NPD Gold! I slipped the net under a big Yellowbelly, which Dad was most proud of. My Uncle (on the Murray-Darling Area) catches yella, so I'm sure Dad will be happy he has something that might compete with them for once! We took some photos, and based on Ray's advice they become very fatty over 45CM we put him back. A big kick off ensured he got back down to the depths below us ready to eat someone else's shrimp.

      Happy Chappy!
      After that yella, I casted right near where Dad hooked his. Sure enough, I felt two little taps, then I was on. I cranked up and after a little couple runs, I had another nice yella in the boat! I was just as hopeless with the 'hold-in-the-mouth' method, so I used the lip grippers. He was a biggun as well, I believe he was 48CM! After some more photos, he was released back below us to eat some more shrimp. We stuck at this spot for a little while longer, with Dad tying on a hardbody lure to try and get one. Unfortunately, no hits on the lure, so maybe one day we will get something other than a Wivenhoe Dam Catty on a hardbody. Lol. 

      Lovely looking Golden Perch 🙂 
      We moved spots after some more quiet-ness, to tie up at a stump. Ray had the set-up great, with clips on the end of rope to keep us in position. Straight away, Dad and I were getting little nibbles. Ray said they could be Tilapia, and it certainly seemed it might be something like that as they just would not hit the hook. After a couple snags and missed hits, Ray hooked up to a real good one! It was running, and when we saw it we were surprised! It was a massive yella! Ray got him up, and it measured 52CM I think. After some photos, the yella was released back into the drink. 

      Great Yella!
      After that Yellowbelly, we stayed at this spot for a bit more. The little nibbles continued, and I couldn't hook whatever it was. I also saw some garfish swimming outside the boat, which were flying through the water around my line. It was soon time to call it quits though, so we went back. We did a run of Ray's shrimp traps on the way back too, to get some more shrimp for him. We gathered a fair few in this lot, which was good to see. We put our fish on ice and then unpacked back at the ramp. After saying a big thanks to Ray, we headed off, feeling great about the session! Probably the best fishing trip I've ever had!

      The Dam
      Back at home, I had the final task of the day - to clean up the fish. I know this would be a breeze for most of you... But this was actually the first time I've done it with no assistance from Dad! (*blushes*). I got a table, board, and the filleting knife out, and got the first fish to start work on. I chopped down behind the head, then ran the knife back along, and kept doing that - just like I've watched. I chopped the first fillet off and surprisingly it looked half decent. I did the exact same with all other bits, then just skinned them nice and easy. My Dad was quite impressed, but I'll leave it up to you guys to decide the verdict? Any tips?

      Please login or register to view this image My first 'proper' filleting job 🙂 
      I cooked it up with some sausages on the BBQ tonight, just in breadcrumbs. I must say it was quite tasty - nice, white flesh too. We only took two fillets for tonight's dinner, so will most likely consume the rest in coming weeks. I headed the bass and kept the heads for bait, and disposed of the old frames. 
      So, that is this wonderful session's report done! Hope you guys enjoyed! Massive thanks to Ray for taking Dad and I out for a fish. It was great meeting you, fishing, and chatting Ray 🙂. There may be some more photos I add below. Thanks for reading and here are the stats of the trip -
      Stats of Trip - 
      Water Level - I believe it was 48%
      Water Temp - 28oC, or so said the sounder
      Fish Caught - Bass x  56, Yellas x 4
      Bait Caught: Lots of Shrimp!!!
      Bait Used: Live Shrimp
      Tackle Used: Ray had 10LB mono mainline (one rod was an Ugly Stik), Dad and I were using 10-14lb mainlines, 10lb FC Rock Leader, Size 1 Wide Gape hook with the barb crushed, Surgeon's knot, small, pea sized sinker, Shimano Sienna and Nasci, Diawa Shinobi on Ugly Stiks and Abu Garcia Veritas rods were what Dad and I used.
      Temp (High and Low) - 22oC-27oC Low-High Temp
      Humidity - 87%
      Wind - 6KM/h
      Overall Success Rate: 100% - We got Aussie Bass!!! And had a great day out with Ray too!
      Cheers Hamish
    • By Kenne
      Caught a Hairtail last week for the first time. What a funny looking fish. He proberly thought that about me as well when i tried to grab him and he turned and tried to bite me. He had the hook well down him so i cut him off and let him go. I read that they are good eating. Has anyone eaten one? If so how do you clean them. Do you fillet them ? They look more like you would cut them into steaks.
    • By Kenne
      Hoping to go for a fish on Tuesday.Checking weather BOM says north westerlies in the morning then south easterlies in the arvo..     Seabreeze says south easterlies all day. If its westerlies ill go the seaway other wise go further up the broadwater. Happened to me last week . Put the boat in at Jabiru for the broadwater and it was a great day.. Could of gone outside.
    • By rayke1938
      Couple of times I thought he was going to be pulled in by fish😁

      Please login or register to view this image
  • Latest Topics

  • Popular Contributors

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Newest Clubs

  • Links

  • Latest Videos

  • Create New...