Brisbane River Mouth With High Winds?

JMW21

Hi all, first time poster here. Purchased a 385 qunitrex explorer with a 15hp Mercury last week and have been keen to take it out on my day off on Saturday. I’ve been planning to launch at Pinkenba at midday and fish the river mouth area for Jew/threddie but just looking at the forecast it’s saying that the winds will be over 20 knots there. Is there any point going in that kind of weather? Alternatively are there any other shelter spots nearby worth trying out just to get the boat on the water and wetting a line for a few hours?

cheers!

It will be too gnarly at the mouth in 20+ knots.

If you're mainly focused on getting the boat wet and giving it a run I would head upstream and put in at  somewhere like West End where it's a little more sheltered. Try the inside of the bends in the river for a thready, but don't have your hopes too high.

Welcome to the AFO forum. Let us know how you go on Saturday.

11 hours ago, JMW21 said:

Hi all, first time poster here. Purchased a 385 qunitrex explorer with a 15hp Mercury last week and have been keen to take it out on my day off on Saturday. I’ve been planning to launch at Pinkenba at midday and fish the river mouth area for Jew/threddie but just looking at the forecast it’s saying that the winds will be over 20 knots there. Is there any point going in that kind of weather? Alternatively are there any other shelter spots nearby worth trying out just to get the boat on the water and wetting a line for a few hours?

cheers!

Mate I would advise against going to the river in that wind. It really can blow up at times and is very dangerous. There are lots of options at Jacobs Well in a wind or you can try Tingalpa Creek, Pumistone Passage or anywhere down the coast. Your 385 is a great boat and you can have a great time at the port but watch for strong wind. 

Hi JMW21

Welcome to the forum. 

I haven't been to the mouth when it's rough, but I'd take ellicat's advice - go to somewhere like West End if the wind is up. There won't be many big whitecaps, and they'll only form if there's really strong winds and the tide is going against the wind.

Good luck for a threadfin/jewie.  

Cheers Hamish

8 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Mate I would advise against going to the river in that wind. It really can blow up at times and is very dangerous. There are lots of options at Jacobs Well in a wind or you can try Tingalpa Creek, Pumistone Passage or anywhere down the coast. Your 385 is a great boat and you can have a great time at the port but watch for strong wind. 

Thanks for the advice mate, I reckon I’ll checkout Jacobs Well👍🏻

7 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi JMW21

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you on here 🙂 

I haven't been to the mouth when it's rough, but I'd take ellicat's advice - go to somewhere like West End if the wind is up. There won't be many big whitecaps, and they'll only form if there's really strong winds and the tide is going against the wind.

Good luck for a threadfin/jewie. Tell us how you go 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

Thanks for the welcome and advice mate!