Just went out and bought a 300m spool of 10lb braid thinking it's only a low profile baitcaster 300m should be plenty. I was wrong I think it needs at least 100 - 150 meters more to fill the spool.20201111_134441.thumb.jpg.3a3b6916ac8e7a243a05c26d12a01d7a.jpg

6 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

BTW I am drooling on that set up. Aussie all the way. 

Very nice.

How do you like it? 

Pretty impressed just feels nice hanging to have something give it a hard time . Going to test it on Mac tuna I think

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

If you want you can use a reel like an alvey to take off the line you have put on there, then put on some mono backing and put the line back on? 

I ended up in allround angler in caboolture and grabbed a 500 m spool and some other goodies . Tackle shops are my weakness I just can't be trusted in them . Pete wasn't there today but the young fella in there put me onto a killer stick bait that is supposed to be dynamite on longtails

20201111_180205.jpg

Looks like a decent reel I’m a big fan of EVA knobs . I might check out the Alvey spin reels and see if their any decent their props crappy spin reels but you never know I’ll at least look into them  .I'm gonna sell my 2 daiwa reels one of them was $90 my aird lt and the other came free with a rod daiwa Nero lt aka legalis lt probably sell them together for $90 for the 2 reels. The cazna and alivio are in the garage to use as bait fishing reels or spare reels For family members who don’t fish as their not that great reels and tbh have a rough feeling in them . I got my Stradic 1000 and my sienna 2500 with a spare spool that’s filled with 8lb braid and the regular spool with 13lb gliss and I’ll get a Vanford 2500 from hot tackle and fill it with 10lb and a Stradic 5000 to .the Stradics are just good reels nothing to fancy their just workhorse reels that do the job and are reliable a little bit pricey but once I start working at maccas I’ll save up for those 2 reels then save about %80 of my money and keep  %20 for spending . EDIT I looked up the spin reels by alvey and their crap their over $200 and have a die cast zinc main gear i expect large aluminium gears at this price point 

D9D88FA6-94E2-42D2-AF46-7A0B3C34D97D.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

I ended up in allround angler in caboolture and grabbed a 500 m spool and some other goodies . Tackle shops are my weakness I just can't be trusted in them . Pete wasn't there today but the young fella in there put me onto a killer stick bait that is supposed to be dynamite on longtails

20201111_180205.jpg

That’s a very good looking lure! What’s it called?

19 minutes ago, GregOug said:

That’s a very good looking lure! What’s it called?

I think it's a zerek zappelin , the young bloke was saying he constantly out fishes his mates with them. I have no reason to doubt him so I  thought I'd try one. If their that good I will stock up on them

1 hour ago, Breaming with bro said:

Looks like a decent reel I’m a big fan of EVA knobs . I might check out the Alvey spin reels and see if their any decent their props crappy spin reels but you never know I’ll at least look into them  .I'm gonna sell my 2 daiwa reels one of them was $90 my aird lt and the other came free with a rod daiwa Nero lt aka legalis lt probably sell them together for $90 for the 2 reels. The cazna and alivio are in the garage to use as bait fishing reels or spare reels For family members who don’t fish as their not that great reels and tbh have a rough feeling in them . I got my Stradic 1000 and my sienna 2500 with a spare spool that’s filled with 8lb braid and the regular spool with 13lb gliss and I’ll get a Vanford 2500 from hot tackle and fill it with 10lb and a Stradic 5000 to .the Stradics are just good reels nothing to fancy their just workhorse reels that do the job and are reliable a little bit pricey but once I start working at maccas I’ll save up for those 2 reels then save about %80 of my money and keep  %20 for spending 

While your looking at reels bro , check out the atc range they keep saying good things about  them

So I've decided I'm not a fan of the new alvey baitcaster drag . So this afternoon I called Troy at wilson and bombarded him with questions about the atc combat plus , turns out they have carbontec drag straight out of the box so that half sold me anyway , so I jumped in the jeep and took off to see Pete and Brad down at allround angler . I can count on these guys their both honest and men of their word ( what more could you ask for) anyhow getting back to the point I ended up with one.20201119_171626.thumb.jpg.cf0597ac970b41adacb2e8cd7cdc33c1.jpg

Yeah I looked into those Alvey spin reels and their crap at around $200 they should at least have a aluminium main gear die cast zinc is what I expect in a sienna or a crossfire although daiwa have been using zinc alloy in their reels up to the BG which is a lot better then die cast zinc still isn’t as good as the aluminium hagane stuff in shimano reels though 

Honestly I couldn't fault anything other than the drag on the baitcaster and I think if carbontec make kits for the alvey I will sort it when I get a chance. Casts light baits fantastic , feels nice to use until something peels line and I'm sure a reputable Australian company like Alvey will iron out the bugs as they progress with their new range. I will hang onto the reel and wait for a carbontec kit to come out and take it to ellicats reel doctor to install. As for the new combat plus they were named in the top 5 baitcaster at the Australian tackle show, after my chat with Troy today he clued me up with all sorts of info on them and then Pete and Brad sealed the deal . If something is crap they will tell you pretty quick.

10 hours ago, Sneaky1 said:

Honestly I couldn't fault anything other than the drag on the baitcaster and I think if carbontec make kits for the alvey I will sort it when I get a chance. Casts light baits fantastic , feels nice to use until something peels line and I'm sure a reputable Australian company like Alvey will iron out the bugs as they progress with their new range. I will hang onto the reel and wait for a carbontec kit to come out and take it to ellicats reel doctor to install. As for the new combat plus they were named in the top 5 baitcaster at the Australian tackle show, after my chat with Troy today he clued me up with all sorts of info on them and then Pete and Brad sealed the deal . If something is crap they will tell you pretty quick.

Great info thanks. What were you hating about the drag? Not smooth? 

3 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Great info thanks. What were you hating about the drag? Not smooth? 

Very jerky , but I found out they already have carbon drag washers. I've been toying with the idea that it might be because it's new and needs some use .So I'm thinking I will tie the line to choppers collar and let him chase the bin chickens for a while down the park. Will see if that does anything.

Just now, Sneaky1 said:

Very jerky , but I found out they already have carbon drag washers. I've been toying with the idea that it might be because it's new and needs some use .So I'm thinking I will tie the line to choppers collar and let him chase the bin chickens for a while down the park. Will see if that does anything.

Mate you have to get a video of that! 

haha gold. 

4 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Mate you have to get a video of that! 

haha gold. 

I will see if I can get my daughter down there with the phone. I just asked the wife to video it and she just shook her head and gave me that look. At least my daughter has a sense of adventure

Just buy a $10 tub of Cal’s reel grease, grease up the drag washer and see if it becomes smoother. If that doesn’t work, buy a $20 sheet of carbontex off eBay (the full carbon cloth one not the fibreglass sandwich style) and cut to size using the existing drag washers as a guide. Use the Cals grease you have left over and see if you like this better. 

alvey (and Wilson/ATC) would have had these reels built to spec offshore and “carbon” drag washers can mean different things to different OEMs who are driven by $$$$ margins. 
Still, as they are marketed and sold by Aussie companies it is better than sending your $$ offshore. 

2 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Just buy a $10 tub of Cal’s reel grease, grease up the drag washer and see if it becomes smoother. If that doesn’t work, buy a $20 sheet of carbontex off eBay (the full carbon cloth one not the fibreglass sandwich style) and cut to size using the existing drag washers as a guide. Use the Cals grease you have left over and see if you like this better. 

alvey (and Wilson/ATC) would have had these reels built to spec offshore and “carbon” drag washers can mean different things to different OEMs who are driven by $$$$ margins. 
Still, as they are marketed and sold by Aussie companies it is better than sending your $$ offshore. 

Yep both reels are assembled in China but the ATC drag is silky smooth , I will get some of that grease and give it a try though , thanks bud

• 1 month later...