Boat Advice Wanted

ggg

Hi all,

I am still in the market of looking for a boat and have gotten some experienced opinions from people I know but I would like some more. I am looking at a Quintrex 420 Dory with a 2015 Yamaha 40hp two stroke with 50 hours on the back. The boat is fully kitted out with a 75 litre fuel tank, 7 inch Garmin sounder, custom bait board, Bimini, stereo and safety gear. I have checked the specs of the hull and the overall length is more like 4.35 metres. Does this mean that I am looking at a slightly bigger boat in reality? It would definitely be reef fishing on the good days and headland/creek fishing on the not so good ones. The guy claims the boat ‘flys’ and I have heard of them doing more than 50km per hour. What are your thoughts on a boat like this (I know it’s not a proper ‘reef boat’, but I will have to make do) and it’s top speed? Thanks

15 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Sorry Jaz but I would never travel 50k’s offshore in a 4.2m dory.! A recipe for disaster.

I don't know the weather patterns/tendencies up Cairns way but in general I would agree with @GregOug. On 'good' days you 'could' go that far but it only takes one trip for the weather to change and you are a long way from help, in a tinny with not huge freeboard, and in shark infested waters, and therefore have a high possibility of a not very good outcome.

If it was me I would be deciding to get this boat to do creek/estuary/headlands/close inshore reefs OR going a larger (16ft plus) boat to go out further.

Not sure how many people you would plan to have in the boat but even with two, you'd wouldn't want to throw too much gear/heavy stuff into the boat because with 75 litres of fuel it would not be unfeasible for the 40hp to suddenly be working a fair bit harder which in turn will decrease your range.

Hope this doesn't come across as too negative but it is best to be a bit conservative when deciding what to use a boat for, in my humble opinion.

The weather patterns here are very consistent and true to the forecasts. People go out to the shelf overnight in Quintrex 420 Renegade's. I am obviously not going to be reef fishing every weekend, maybe once or twice a month if the weather permits and more during the summer time. I would also bring at least 100 litres of fuel until I understand how much the boat uses (with a 20L jerry can as a backup). This boat's actually got a rather deep freeboard as it's a Quintrex, and not some beaten up old tinny. I'm more afraid of crocs in the creeks we fish than sharks out the reef. All the stories I have been told (like sharks ramming the boat) have occurred because fish were being cleaned at the end of the day before heading back in. They are a problem to be aware of, but not as deadly as a crocodile.

I'm not sure how old you are or how much boating experience (being the skipper) you have but just make sure you take into account what conditions will be like even if it only blows up to 15 or 20 knots. Also remember that forecasts are at the end of the day only forecasts, and things like storms can have a dramatic effect on wind/sea conditions. Also consider whether you will have the ability to access 'on the water' weather updates to check on any storms or increased wind predictions. The comment on freeboard was more about the likelihood of copping a wave over the bow/side if the weather turns, and not about sharks ramming you.

All this said it is your decision and your life but I'd urge caution.