I'm looking at getting a rod to put yabbies on to catch Whiting, and also use perhaps as a topwater lure rod, mainly for the flats. The brand I like offers two I like one is 2-6kilo 6"6 long the other is 1-5kg 7 foot long, I would use 4-6 kilo line, I'm leaning to the 2-6 one as a good all rounder, does it really matter that much the extra length, I'm intrigued, cheers for any help guys. 

1 minute ago, bulldogs195461 said:

I'm looking at getting a rod to put yabbies on to catch Whiting, and also use perhaps as a topwater lure rod, mainly for the flats. The brand I like offers two I like one is 2-6kilo 6"6 long the other is 1-5kg 7 foot long, I would use 4-6 kilo line, I'm leaning to the 2-6 one as a good all rounder, does it really matter that much the extra length, I'm intrigued, cheers for any help guys. 

Are you using it in a boat or shore based?

5 minutes ago, bulldogs195461 said:

Hi bulldogs195461

You could look at the Atomic Arrows rods, which I believe are very good for this style of fishing. @Breaming with bro loves these rods so he may be able to tell you more! 

Otherwise, maybe an Abu Garcia rod.

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Bit hard to give a definite opinion without being able to hold each rod in the hand - also a tough one as my head says the shorter one is better for the kayak and the longer one is better for land-based flicking. As far as line, I'd be going with 6lb unless you're going to be tangling with decent trevally or flicking in gnarly territory.

Good luck with the rod search.

15 minutes ago, bulldogs195461 said:

I've got other rods I'd fish from the yak, I only fish sp and hard bodies, but after a recent charter and learning about whiting, I've decided to add a rod I'll use to fish with bait, while wading and also use for trying top water lures I want to try like mmd or sugar pens. 

The atomic arrows rods are hands down the best rod in you’re case the bream surface is perfect for bream and whiting on surface and also yabbies it also doubles up as a really good SP setup to its a slow action rod but handles plastics well . The atomic arrows rods are probably some of the best rods in Australia I would rather have a $130 arrows rod Over a $600 daiwa or Shimano rod. The blanks feels similar to those in medium end and high end rods like the zodias by Shimano the split grip reel handle is awesome the guides are not the top of the range but they are still great no fuss reliable guides but the blanks on the rods is where the magic is the blanks have excellent handling power and are very strong and light I couldn’t believe the feel of them the first time I’ve looked at them they are amazing for the price and are very underrated I’ve probably seen only 2 or 3 people on the water using them way better then anything by shimano or daiwa at the price point . The skinny water series feels really nice and also the estuary models but the bream surface in my opinion is the best for surface lures and bait fishing and it’s great the it doubles up as a soft plastic and vibe rod to .most slow action graphite rods aren’t that great for plastics but the bream surface is actually surprisingly pretty good its super sensitive 10/10 would recommend you the bream surface 1 and 2 piece models are excellent . Can handle anything from small bream and whiting up to big flathead the biggest flathead I’ve caught on mine so far was 57cm but I’ve caught multiple over 45cm and it handles them fine