Boat Winch - Strap vs cable vs rope

The Mad Hughesy

Hey all

im waning to replace the winch on my trailer and im just looking at options in terms of rope or trap or cable. mine was rusted out and wouldnt spool off easily from when i bought it so time to replace. Just wanted to hear the brains trust opinions and experience with any of them. And no it wont be a electric winch, just the hand cranked one that i use a cordless drill on. 

on another note, im assuming its safe to replace with the boat on the trailer as long as the safety chain is on? i cant see my boat sliding away if i loosen it up to replace.

I replaced the strap on my 18.5 ft boat when I got it as the strap had perished, replaced it with a 8mm dyneema rope on it (6800kg) and it has been fine. Yep I know it is overkill, but at least I know that sucker isn't going to break even with a bit of sunlight deterioration.

Depends on how the boat has been positioned on the trailer, if the boat keel sits fairly level on the trailer then it shouldn't slide off, if however the boat is on a steep angle (to make it easier to roll off on the ramp) then there is a good chance that it will and that will depend on how it it setup. If the safety chain is on then it should only go as far as the chain  will allow it.

Leave the chain on and start to release the winch cable and it will either sit there or slide down to the length of the safety chain. If it doesn't move then give the boat a bit of a push and rock it to see if it budges, as it may be borderline. Once the safety chain slack is gone then it should be save to remove the winch strap.

I don't know what size boat you have or how it is tied down to your  trailer, on mine I also have two 2500kg straps holding it down to the trailer (front and back)  as well so they would stop my boat moving anyway.

3 hours ago, Ed. said:

I replaced the strap on my 18.5 ft boat when I got it as the strap had perished, replaced it with a 8mm dyneema rope on it (6800kg) and it has been fine. Yep I know it is overkill, but at least I know that sucker isn't going to break even with a bit of sunlight deterioration.

Depends on how the boat has been positioned on the trailer, if the boat keel sits fairly level on the trailer then it shouldn't slide off, if however the boat is on a steep angle (to make it easier to roll off on the ramp) then there is a good chance that it will and that will depend on how it it setup. If the safety chain is on then it should only go as far as the chain  will allow it.

Leave the chain on and start to release the winch cable and it will either sit there or slide down to the length of the safety chain. If it doesn't move then give the boat a bit of a push and rock it to see if it budges, as it may be borderline. Once the safety chain slack is gone then it should be save to remove the winch strap.

I don't know what size boat you have or how it is tied down to your  trailer, on mine I also have two 2500kg straps holding it down to the trailer (front and back)  as well so they would stop my boat moving anyway.

5m tinny. Also strapped down which I forgot about. Even when at the boat ramp it takes a good shove to push off, so I’d imagine it’s safe. Might just put another strap on anyway

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

5m tinny. Also strapped down which I forgot about. Even when at the boat ramp it takes a good shove to push off, so I’d imagine it’s safe. Might just put another strap on anyway

I have a strap on my winch and like Brian said, they are neat and strong. Always had cable before and hated them. Dirty and messy, and full of spikey bits as they get older. Dyneema looks great too, but always wonder if it isn’t laid on neatly whether it might shift and become just a little loose?

Cable worst. Splinters and rusts don't bother

Strap second worst. They perish on one edge then they fail. You will be winching them in nice as pie and then your boat is on the deck. Don't bother.

Dyneema is the king. It is thin, super strong, lasts forever and will never give you any trouble. 

Like I always say... Perhaps I just made it up... Perhaps sing it to the tune of Thunder struck by ACDC... or don't...

Don't listen to the rest,

dumdumdum

Dynema is the best,

dumdumdum

Put it to the test,

dumdumdum

Feel the love in your.... chest. Thunder struck....

58 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Cable worst. Splinters and rusts don't bother

Strap second worst. They perish on one edge then they fail. You will be winching them in nice as pie and then your boat is on the deck. Don't bother.

Dyneema is the king. It is thin, super strong, lasts forever and will never give you any trouble. 

Like I always say... Perhaps I just made it up... Perhaps sing it to the tune of Thunder struck by ACDC... or don't...

Don't listen to the rest,

dumdumdum

Dynema is the best,

dumdumdum

Put it to the test,

dumdumdum

Feel the love in your.... chest. Thunder struck....

Haha you’re a cracker. 

Ive got dynema now but it’s old and could do with replacing. The winch itself is dodgy as, only one gear works lol

• 1 year later...

If you are searching for affordable winch straps for boat trailers, this Shoreline boat winch strap is one option to consider. Speaking of its construction, it is also a good thing that it has a plated hook. With its heavy-duty construction, it resists rust and corrosion, making it ideal even for marine environments. The hook has a spring-loaded safety flap. It easily opens when pushed and stays closed to secure whatever I connect to it.