Keeping Crabs for Christmas

Drop Bear

Hey amazing AFO brain trust.

I am keen to catch some crabs around Brisbane next week to take to Melbs for Christmas lunch. 

Does anyone know how long is ok to keep them tied up in a fish bin with a wet hessian sack over them? 

Would it be better if I boiled them and kept them in the fridge? I am worried they wont last if I cook them on Monday next week and we don't eat them until the 25th... that is about 10 days. 

Any tips or tricks welcome. 

I find it amazing that you are so certain you are gonna catch some!  Is it really that easy?  I have been thinking about giving it a go - my brother-in-law and sis love crab so they would probably buy me the pots so they can eat the rewards.  I have been seeing so many people putting out pots it feels like I am missing out.

1 minute ago, Kat said:

I find it amazing that you are so certain you are gonna catch some!  Is it really that easy?  I have been thinking about giving it a go - my brother-in-law and sis love crab so they would probably buy me the pots so they can eat the rewards.  I have been seeing so many people putting out pots it feels like I am missing out.

Its not a guarantee but they are pretty consistent. I have a few sneaky spots that not many know about that do pretty well. After the rain we are expected to get next week there should be some around and if I work hard at it I would be surprised if I don't get a few. 

Just now, Drop Bear said:

Its not a guarantee but they are pretty consistent. I have a few sneaky spots that not many know about that do pretty well. After the rain we are expected to get next week there should be some around and if I work hard at it I would be surprised if I don't get a few. 

Yummmmmmmm!  Haven't had crab for ages.  I could put out pots where I fish then I have further excuses to go fishing.  Seen a few decent crabs right at my feet and I am more adventurous than most so some spots would be sneaky (hard to get to).

1 minute ago, Kat said:

Yummmmmmmm!  Haven't had crab for ages.  I could put out pots where I fish then I have further excuses to go fishing.  Seen a few decent crabs right at my feet and I am more adventurous than most so some spots would be sneaky (hard to get to).

Yep they will be there. Don't dismiss the obvious spots too. Not many people take the effort to put pots out. 

Even if you only fish for an hour it doesn't hurt to have them out. 

5 mins can be enough some days. 

On 11/12/2020 at 9:49 AM, Drop Bear said:

Hey amazing AFO brain trust.

I am keen to catch some crabs around Brisbane next week to take to Melbs for Christmas lunch. 

Does anyone know how long is ok to keep them tied up in a fish bin with a wet hessian sack over them? 

Would it be better if I boiled them and kept them in the fridge? I am worried they wont last if I cook them on Monday next week and we don't eat them until the 25th... that is about 10 days. 

Any tips or tricks welcome. 

can you still do that with the white spot laws

11 hours ago, snap1946 said:

can you still do that with the white spot laws

Phew, Crabs are exempt. I appreciate your question though and glad I checked. 

"Exemption for crabs, lobsters and bugs Crabs, lobsters and bugs are exempt from the movement restrictions and can be taken out of the restricted area. As these animals are caught and sold for the sole purpose of being eaten, the risk of them being returned to natural waterways and spreading the white spot virus is negligible. The exemption applies to spanner crabs, three spotted crabs, blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs, red champagne lobsters, slipper lobsters, tropical rocklobsters, redclaws and bugs"

From here

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/1255637/white-spot-guide.pdf

5 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Did you get any up at Gladstone Hamish? Are you back home yet?

Hey Steve 

Nope, it was rather disappointing. One small Jenny for about a six hour soak. 

I’m back home and reports will be up tomorrow. I was just having a big rest day today. 

Cheers Hamish 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

No they were really shy. I only got 2 jennys and 1 under... 

You did better than us mate, we set a world record with 14 pots for not a single crab. Out in the channel that leads to the canals t Thorneside (aquatic paradise?) and some in the beginning of Tingalpa creeks channel. Did get one small shark so kept that for a couple of feeds 😎

So now I am not sure if we should have gone into the creek more or out into the channel between green and king islands - anyone have any intel or theories? 
C6BBCF98-E436-4E70-9372-AD365A7C32F5.thumb.jpeg.68b8f57d18ea501c41ac213cac185014.jpeg99E91169-5363-4F6F-ABFB-6EFF0342E175.thumb.jpeg.242dd806c21a740cb25c38f8c2b675b2.jpeg