Hinze Dam 31.5.21

Neil Stratford

Cracking solo trip mate. Well done! 

I haven't fished Hinze since I was in my teens or early 20s. It was before they did the dam extension. Glad it is still fishing well. 

Back then we were thrilled to get 2 or 3 Bass. It was before we had sounders and I didn't know about shrimp. 

Thanks for a great report. 

Sounds excellent.   I was at Wyaralong yesterday, but it was primarily for a picnic with the ladies (wife & her sisters).  Mid afternoon, but I gave it a crack anyway, just from the bank.  Usual story, didn't get a bite. 

I've only taken up fishing a couple of weeks ago, strictly land based (for the foreseeable future anyway), and on 9 trips to various spots on Moreton Bay and Wyaralong have only managed a dozen (seriously) undersized fish.  Zero legal sized.  The last 4 trips haven't even had a bite.

Would love to hear more reports of land-based trips, just to prove that it is actually possible to catch something land-based!!

10 hours ago, Franz said:

Sounds excellent.   I was at Wyaralong yesterday, but it was primarily for a picnic with the ladies (wife & her sisters).  Mid afternoon, but I gave it a crack anyway, just from the bank.  Usual story, didn't get a bite. 

I've only taken up fishing a couple of weeks ago, strictly land based (for the foreseeable future anyway), and on 9 trips to various spots on Moreton Bay and Wyaralong have only managed a dozen (seriously) undersized fish.  Zero legal sized.  The last 4 trips haven't even had a bite.

Would love to hear more reports of land-based trips, just to prove that it is actually possible to catch something land-based!!

When I started I was like you.  Now I very rarely come home without something legal and often can feed a family of four at least once if not twice a week.  Lots of things but mainly concentrate in decent bait, live preferably if not then fresh!  Grab a cast net and yabby pump.

😸

Thanks Kat.   I won't give up just yet - but it is quite frustrating, especially when there are 10 other anglers there as well and they are also not catching anything.  So it's not simply my own lack of skill, some of those others were veterans.

Of course on a boat fishing would be better, but I'm not expecting or even wanting to catch trophy fish, or huge numbers.  Just one or two legal sized fish, most trips would be very satisfying.

Some excellent tips, many thanks.  I will follow up on some of these at least.  Not sure how I'll go with the live shrimp though.

The trip this week was originally scheduled for first thing in the morning, but then her ladyship invited herself along, and then her sisters got in on it, and then the time moved to 12 noon.  There's no winning that argument, so I just went along, not expecting to catch anything at that time of day.  What can you do.  I'll just have to schedule another trip and ban anyone tagging along.

I'm aware of the SIPS, and have sorted the legal side of it.

On 01/06/2021 at 10:23 AM, Franz said:

Hi Franz

I dunno where you live, but if it's close, you can't go wrong fishing in the Brisbane River.

In Winter, the plague proportions of catfish will slow. The predominant "pest" specie you will encounter is the River Perch. They fight bad, but when they are biting you'll get them one after another. If you want a fish to catch just buy servo prawns, a size two sinker, 3/o or 4/o suicide hook and they will come easy.

By using live and fresh baits such as prawns, mullet, herring, and more, you will up your chances at a more sizeable fish. After the rain it's better to fish towards the mouth, and you may encounter jewfish, threadfin salmon, and oddities such as large Estuary Cod and Dusky Flathead. You can try Colmslie Recreation Reserve, Murrarie Recreation Hub, and around Boggy Creek. 

Use a rig with a sinker that will hit the bottom (at least a six ball) when fishing landbased, and use about a 3/o-8/o circle hook, depending on the size of bait. Use a trace from anywhere between 30 and 80 pound, depending on what the structure is like.

Hope that helps,

Cheers Hamish

Thanks Hamish.

I live in Parkinson, near Browns Plains.  So it's 45 minutes to an hour each way to any fishing spot, including the river.  More if I gauge wrong and get stuck in traffic.  I've worked from home for 25 years, and recently discovered I don't really know when/where the traffic gets congested around much of the place.

Haven't had a chance to get out again yet, but I will have another crack soon.

Cheers,

Michael