Moreton Bay closures - protest rally

Yellow Peril

I am sure all of us are aware that the EPA has released the draft zoning plan for the Moreton Bay Marine Park, not surprisingly immediately AFTER the federal election. You can find a copy of the entire document (and its' parts seperately), the maps, and the submission form for comments at www.epa.qld.gov.au. Very briefly, 15% of the bay will become 'green' zones (no fishing) and there are even more extensive yellow zones (one fishing rod only). The green zones cover places such as Peel and St Helena Islands, a large area to the East of Mud Island (the 'Paddock'), Southern 29s and the sevens, Coomera River and Cobby Cobby at the 'pin. Yellow zones cover the ENTIRE Pumicestone Passage, Western Rocks and Cape Moreton, Shag Rock, Boat Rock and the Group etc. You need to have a look at the map to see just exactly how you will be effected, but even if you are not directly affected in the zoning, displaced fishing effort may be coming your way. Further to this is the complexity of the rules and how to know what zone you may be in and exactly where the boundaries are. Every fisher will need a decent chartplotting GPS with the latest maps showing all the zones, or risk heavy fines for transgressing.

Past experience has shown that public feedback on the RIS counts for little and decisions have already been made. There will need to be an overwhelming response to force any significant changes to the plan, BUT this could potentially come from green groups calling for more protection as much as it could from fishoes. I urge everyone to fill in the RIS and argue against the closures to balance out (or hopefully outweigh) the campaign for more closures coming from the AMCS and WWF. Write letters to Anna Bligh and Andrew McNamara telling them how you feel, or better still arrange to go and visit them or your local State MP in person. It is our fishery on our back door. Are you going to fight to save it, or bend over and wait for the closures to happen?

Let's make a stand as a united group. A rally has been called for Saturday the 15th of December at 11 am. The rally point will likely be at Eagle Farm at 10.00am for easy access for both Northsaide and Southside fishoes via the gateway and a designated route through the city. It is really important that there is a big turnout to make a big statement to the Government just how important this is to us. Lets all make the effort to be there with the boat in tow or even just the family car or 4WD with some appropriate slogans. It will not take much of everyone's precious time. A media spokesperson has been arranged to make sure our messge gets in the TV and papers.

Please forward this to ALL your fishing contacts to get the message out to everyone. Who cares if someone gets the email 2 or more times?

Details of the route, times and rally points will be posted as soon as they are known. The contact person is Chris Ryan (mob. 0408 003 343) who will also be able to inform you of the details if you do not have internet access.

Jeremy Arnold

0414 779 107

Apathy is the enemy!

At least they have changed it from this weekend!.

I'll get along, but the sad fact is (as you've already stated) it's unlikely there will be any change. Also unfortunately, I think there is too much lethargy amongst fishermen or fishing just isn't high enough on their priorities.

It's hard to remain motivated to hit your head against a wall of insipid, non-participative, imbecilic and ill-informed supporters of the dark side....just read the comments from people in the recent Courier Mail articles.....

The (IMO) bias of that publication will need to be overcome by selecting to read All Comments, rather than the ones that have been selected for initial viewing.

Good on you for posting Yellow Peril.

I just had a look here

/>http://www.epa.qld.gov.au./media/parks_and_forests/marine_parks/mbmp/draft_zoning_plan_1.pdf

yellow zones are ok by me at this stage

but I mainly fish Mud and peel in the bay :pinch:

I'll try my best to get to the rally ;)

but sorry pro's you guys rape the fishing scene netting whole schools etc

I know you say you have the right to earn a living and I agree to some extent but us recko's inject far more money in tourism /bait/tackle etc than pro's do ;)

Look at the charter boats hitting the reefs every chance they can :blink:

I personally think that the authorities screwed up allowing too many licences to start with $ in their eyes and had no thought to the end now they are back peddleing big time :(

just a few thoughts no need for bad Karma :woohoo:

Gaz

What im wondering is who will police the yellow zones when your only allowed 1 hook in the water at a time, Who will police that? Its easy enough to just wind one in when the fisheries come and how often does that happen? If they want this to work, the need to give more funding to the DPI and Fisheries.

Fisher_90 wrote:

What im wondering is who will police the yellow zones when your only allowed 1 hook in the water at a time, Who will police that? Its easy enough to just wind one in when the fisheries come and how often does that happen? If they want this to work, the need to give more funding to the DPI and Fisheries.

Many people up north have been charged with zoning offences already. Some of them actually had photos taken from planes flying over. It's only recent that the offences were changed to not be a recorded conviction.

Fisher_90 wrote:

Yeh but look at pumicestone passage, a full yellow zone, they cant police the whole area and i dont think i've seen many planes fly over.

Fisher: You can only have one fishing rod. Not one hook in the water.

So if they come by and you have one in a holder not in the water and another in your hand, your fined.

Angus

when you read it all, i must say i was expecting it to be a lot worse then it is. i hope every turns up for the rally next week end. that way there will be less people out on the water fishing because thats were ill be.ill give a fishing report when i get back & you all let me know how you went.:woohoo:

I think some of you guys are a bit naive. The radical green groups (AMCS etc) are calling for 30-50% green zones in the bay. Their ultimate goal is to stop fishing completely. If we don't make a stand and start to unite and fight against this movement, we will lose it all, bit by bit.

Have a look at www.amcs.org.au and www.savemoretonbay.org and you will see what I mean. Be afraid, be very afraid!

Just remember, even if the green and yellow zones don't affect you directly, there is likely to be displaced fishing effort which might end up in your favourite spot.

blockah wrote:

when you read it all, i must say i was expecting it to be a lot worse then it is. i hope every turns up for the rally next week end. that way there will be less people out on the water fishing because thats were ill be.ill give a fishing report when i get back & you all let me know how you went.:woohoo:

I will have been for a fish early then turn up to the rally to show my suport , if the greens get their way the only thing you will be able to do a weekends is sit in coffee shops and talk about fishing:( :angry:

From what I've seen I'm not hugely concerned.... The green zones seem to be away from a lot of major fishing haunts, and where they are in a fairly commonly used area (eg Peel) there fishable water close nearby.

The yellow zones I like, 1 hook per line, 1 line per person seems OK to me... while I often have a bait soaking while flicking placcys, I'm happy to forgo that luxury if it means there's fish around in 10years time.

I am concerned at the somewhat arbitary placement of some zones (ie without clear landmark points for boundaries), esp the Paddock outside moreton, as it does mean Chartplotters w/ current maps will be needed, and that may be an expense many can't afford... at the same time, if you can afford to run a boat capable of fishing that area (purchase cost, fuel, rego, insurance, bait, fishing gear, safety gear), a cheap chartplotter prob won't add _that_ much to the cost.

The ban on commercial guys fromt eh sourthern bay is a Huge step forward in fish stock management, how everyday Joe Blow will react when he can't buy his fish for fih and chips on a fri night I'm not sure...

There is mention of new Artifical reefs made in the report, but it seems pretty speculative (we'll look into it)... pushing for these would make me happier than altering some of teh green/yellow zones.

Dunno what the purpose of this was, just trying to get my own thoughts straight I guess.. it's a big issue, with many competing and contradictory points of view.

Tim

i would like to see anything within 5k of australian shoreline zoned dark blue with large areas of yellow zone in most breeding areas including mangroves this should stop future developement in these areas green zones where absolutely nesscerary and all of the bays up the coast all dark blue and all the pro boys in these areas bought out proffitably id happilly pay a license etc to achieve this and theres no reason they cant either charter boat or line fish as they do up north this should drive the price of fish up and they should earn the same money for less fish old crappie 2strokes like mine should all be banned to help the polution and the bay islands should be bridged with fishing platforms built on them and lots of artificial reefs should be put in to both bay and off shore to help both recreational and pros alike . as for fighting closures its a bit hard when i think something should be done its just the radicalls are a reel worry so im not sure id protest or not i think i would just to show some support :)

My turn for some ranting and raving:laugh:

I just wish they made lots of no take zones where you could only fish barbless and with 1 rod and not take any fish home. I'd be happy with that.

Plus the Government could spend money on a campaign to raise awareness of best practices for releasing fish.

Things like swimming them before release, how to release infalted bladders, correct handling like supporting the body so the neck doesn't break.

Also subsidies on enviro nets and other fish friendly products to make them a price competetive option.

A concerted effort amongst concerned fishos setting an example by practicing catch and release would also be great. I know many do but also lots of us take too many at times. I'm going to personally cut down on the fish that I take home. Already I don't take anything I catch around Brisbane and whilst I don't mind taking a few flatties in my spots down in NSW, becase there's litterally thousands of them, I don't plan on keeping too many more fish like Jacks.

Just some ideas I haven't heard come up yet.

DPI 1997 survey results suggest more than half of the recreational catch is released. 10 years on I think the release rate would have increased.

I don't think there are a lot of trawlers that would want artificial reefs in their way faulked - it's a great way to ruin thousands of dollars worth of net (or worse):blink:

And talk about being irresponsible - demand for seafood will not drop if the commercial fishermen are displaced, but price sensitivity will remain. So where will the supply come from - other countries....those countries that many Aussies like to deplore for their fishing activities....well you can't have it both ways...(can you?)

Yellow Peril has a good point about dislaced fishermen. With the new rezoning, even if it does not effect your own personal fishing spot, it will ensure that that spot had twive the people fishing it.

However i also agree \"something\" has to be done to ensure there are fish for the future. Why cant they spend all the time and money involved in this campaign developing fish farming etc? Who knows.

Ellicat is also correct, its hard to have it both ways. Ban commercial fishing and seafood prices will soar and encourage dodgy fishing practices elsewhere.

Its a very touchy and complex subject and im not going to pretend to have an answer.

Angus

Jeremy,

i hate to be an sourpuss but trying to get a reasonable turnout to a rally leading up to xmas with a usual bunch of lazy objectors IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! May i suggest that a date after the holiday period would be a much more sensible way to go.

To all of you that think you have no problem with those Yellow areas. Read the fine print - ONE ROD and ONE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!

that means no floater lines out the back, no bait jigs, no gang hooks, etc , etc!!!!

Bill74

Dan23 wrote:

My turn for some ranting and raving:laugh:

I just wish they made lots of no take zones where you could only fish barbless and with 1 rod and not take any fish home. I'd be happy with that.

Plus the Government could spend money on a campaign to raise awareness of best practices for releasing fish.

Things like swimming them before release, how to release infalted bladders, correct handling like supporting the body so the neck doesn't break.

Also subsidies on enviro nets and other fish friendly products to make them a price competetive option.

A concerted effort amongst concerned fishos setting an example by practicing catch and release would also be great. I know many do but also lots of us take too many at times. I'm going to personally cut down on the fish that I take home. Already I don't take anything I catch around Brisbane and whilst I don't mind taking a few flatties in my spots down in NSW, becase there's litterally thousands of them, I don't plan on keeping too many more fish like Jacks.

Just some ideas I haven't heard come up yet.

A good idea but their is so many that wouldn't abide by the rules:(

after all ive read on this subject it seems they are not interested in anything offered in place of these new laws. Ive heard and would be keen myself to pay for a bay fishing liscence. Ive also heard the thought of more fads, or the raising of legals fish lengths and take limits, or just plain enforcing the laws already in place which would be a great start. The things weve all seen in the bay that people are doing wrong without even a thought of being caught, how can they police the new laws. and if they can?

For people like me with a small boat of only 14.5 ft have only a few options on fishing spots and only some of them on calm days. I cant carry enough fuel to go to far and off shore is out of the question, so..... Im stuck wasting my time in the filthy logan or similar to catch a few peckers, not my idea of a good fishing trip.

I wont be compensated in anyway for owning a useless garden ornament. And although i wouldn't sell my boat id just be forced to abide by these laws my, i was thinking today of an add for my boat heres what i come up with, this would make a good shirt for the rally too.

Garden ornament for sale:

comes with low hrs and recently serviced 50 hp letterbox, 6 junk mail holders and because its the season, some red and green xmass lights. Also has a worm finder, garden night light, emergency equipment for if you get lost in your garden and a few cat traps. any offers considered ph xxxxxxxx

Wow this will prove interesting.

So when I spend 150 bucks to go have a fish in the bay and I catch 50-60-70-80 fish and I might take home 2 or 3 that gives me roughly a 3% take home rate with a 97% release rate. Yeah at 75 bucks a fish it makes for an expensive meal.

So when we spend all this money every week, how is it we have to pay even more? Why is some of the taxes paid on recreational fishing not pushed toward the fisheries to heavily patrol the current areas or be waiting at boat ramps? I have not seen one in months and when I did he did not come over to our boat.

Last week end for example, we are sitting next to a six pack of other body floats and we are there watching one of the boats next to us putting at least 25-30cm squire in their esky.

Be interesting the result of no recreational fishers on the bay for a month...

I agree with the comments on the green zones with no defined long and lats. Even the existing go slow zones have no clear indication. Again just a half arsed knee jerk to poor fisheries management.

just to clear up my orriginal thoughts guys:) i would have thought that if there was no inshore trawling then inshore fish stocks of residential fish should rise and transients should rise a little this would make fish a valuable commodity we wouldnt waste any as the only way to get it would be from a ofshore pro boat or a recreational fisherman or pay some one ie ex trawler captain to take you out fishing for the day if these skippers cant stand talking to people let the either go ofshore or line catch the same as they do for live trout etc up north then you could walk into samies girl pay more per killo and see your dinner swimming in front of you. with extra inshore reef structure the fish numbers should rise and fads do wonders for fast breeding fish like dolphin fish. there are even nets the pros can use that drive over bombiets etc and have wheel like things on the front which bounce over the top but i think they use these from really big boats hope fully no prawn trawling in the bay should really help stock numbers. throw in some good old fashioned restocking bag limit control and most of all a lot of habitat presevation wet lands river run off etc and were getting to a pretty good situation for most im not sure the viabillity of prawn farming ive heard its pretty savage for the enviroment too and no im not advocating the mass import of seafood etc id prefer a population control before that nor do i want to see all the trawler men down the dole office but i have read books where the fisherman went out in a small dory not a 50ft 1000hp bay scourer :) :) :)

ps if im wrong or just a loony tune pls tell me you really cant offend me

Getting back to the original topic - the rally -

Ask yourself a few questions.

1. Do I agree with the proposed changes ?

2. Do I think the closures will stop there ?

3.Would I like to see even more closures ?

4. Is this the best possible way to fix what I perceive to be a problem ?

If you answered no to any of those then in my opinion you ought to think about getting along and speaking up.

Like the bullies from school - they'll keep picking on those that keep giving into them.

Personally I believe they have to do something to manage the fishery, dunno if what they are doing is the right thing.

I do know that compared to when I was a kid, Morteon bay has bugger all fish in it.

I suspect that is more due to places like Raby etc killing all the mangrove breeding grounds than overfishing but I could be wrong.

I do believe that all people should get politically active in areas they are passionate about. Does not matter what side you are on, if there activists it will generate discussion, it will force politicians to make informed decisions, and if that doesn't work you sack em!

Dont forget that the two major political parties are that closely aligned these days that it is special interest groups and single issues that defeat governments in elections.

Next Elections are council elections in about 3 months, followed by a state election in about 12 months.

Council elections are not much use, they dont control fishing, so the fishing groups should be starting to build momentum towards fishing issues to peak in about 9 months for the state election. Target marginal seats where there is a fair population of fisho's who could kick out a local member. Hold regular public grass roots protests . Even a group of 20 or 30 regularly camped outside a pollies office makes them very nervous.

So if your passionate about it, get off your but and have a say. You never know, you just may make history and change a government.

Me I am burnt out after the 2 year campaign I was part of, I just want a rest, and a return to a normal existence!.

ellicat wrote:

Getting back to the original topic - the rally -

Ask yourself a few questions.

1. Do I agree with the proposed changes ?

2. Do I think the closures will stop there ?

3.Would I like to see even more closures ?

4. Is this the best possible way to fix what I perceive to be a problem ?

If you answered no to any of those then in my opinion you ought to think about getting along and speaking up.

Like the bullies from school - they'll keep picking on those that keep giving into them.

Well said

Bill74 wrote:

Jeremy,

i hate to be an sourpuss but trying to get a reasonable turnout to a rally leading up to xmas with a usual bunch of lazy objectors IS NOT A GOOD IDEA! May i suggest that a date after the holiday period would be a much more sensible way to go.

To all of you that think you have no problem with those Yellow areas. Read the fine print - ONE ROD and ONE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!

that means no floater lines out the back, no bait jigs, no gang hooks, etc , etc!!!!

Bill74

Bill, I am not organising the rally and didn't pick the dates, but I do support it. If it is going to happen, it has to be huge and get heaps of media attention and raise some eyebrows. That is why I am publicising it.

Jeremy

Feral: Good point about the destruction of mangroves having an effect. I also strongly believe this.

I also believe that the once upon a time dredging of the brissy has actually had a long term postive effect on the eco system (from a fishers point of view). The mangroves used to go not much further than the hamilton reach pre dredging. Now they go a good 100km further! Considering the muddy and salmon numbers all the way up at kooka, id say that has to have had a major ecologically changing effect.

Long story short, maybe more efforts could be spend on preserving the nurseries as opposed to the fishing grounds. Unless of course these are the same in some cases??

Just throwing out food for thought.

Angus

Just had a quick peruse and notoced two areas that are going to affect me.

1. MNP 13 Prawning.

2. MNP 17 Prawning, flathead, whiting, bream. ( Now I am giving away one of my spot X,s ).

Cant help feeling sorry for some of the pro fishers such as the Parkyns who have responsibly fished the southern bay for 5 generations.They have specialised methods and boats that are not suitable for other areas and will have no other option but to shut up shop.

1. Attend the rally.

2. Ring 1800105789 and leave your name and address to receive a printed hard copy of the proposal.

3. Study it and put in a submission.

Cheers

Ray

some final details....

The main branch of the Rally will assemble at Lavarack Ave, Meeandah at 10am Sat 15th December and move off at 11am. If you have a UHF use channel 38 to access information on the day. The rally will be a drive only with high profile public figures situated at designated points to provide the leverage via media coverage.

Brisbane folk should drive to the intersection of Curtin Ave and Kingsford Smith Dve at Meeandah and trail / form up on Lavarack Ave. If the road is full, divert along Curtin Ave and up Holt St. It is unknown how many vehicles will be in attendance, so if all looks full, make a decision to best suit yourself in joining the rally along the way/ tag on the end.

Others coming from North Coast and South Coast can meet us at Lavarack Ave, or to my way of thinking North people continue down Gympie Rd into the city via Brunswisk St, Gipps St and then Ann St, into Edward and up Alice St, past parliament House. Disperse in your preferred direction.

From the South, enter via South East Freeway into Turbot St, follow to Boundary St ( turn right ) then turn right again into Ann St and follow to Edward St ( left ) and right into Alice St, past parliament house and disperse in your preferred direction.

You people coming from the north and south should time your runs to coincide with an arrival at the City limits at about 11.15 to 11.20am.

If anyone wishes to do a number of drive bys around the city, feel free as it is your right.

Jeremy

Archived