Gold Coast newbie help

thousandyards

Hey everyone.....been a while.

Moved to the Gold Coast recently. I've got a bunch of herring I froze post-cast netting sessions a couple of months back. Thinking of butterflying them and heading out to the Seaway.

So I'm just wondering a couple of things.....

- Hook placement in a butterflied herring - what's most effective for hook placement? And one or two hooks?

- Any recommendations for tides?

- I'm landbased - do I hit the very end or somewhere in the middle? 

Thanks for having me back!

2 hours ago, thousandyards said:

Hey everyone.....been a while.

Moved to the Gold Coast recently. I've got a bunch of herring I froze post-cast netting sessions a couple of months back. Thinking of butterflying them and heading out to the Seaway.

So I'm just wondering a couple of things.....

- Hook placement in a butterflied herring - what's most effective for hook placement? And one or two hooks?

- Any recommendations for tides?

- I'm landbased - do I hit the very end or somewhere in the middle? 

Thanks for having me back!

Hey @thousandyards

I have been on a couple charters fishing the Seaway. It gets very busy on the weekend.

The best baits were live herring. We caught many good sized bream, trevally, small jewies, and even a grassy. Try to fish about 15-20 metres from the rock wall towards the end. You'll need quite large sinkers. You could also try and bait jig or cast net some livies.

Cheers Hamish

Feed the hook right through the eyes;

Measure where the hook needs to go sideways through the body with the eye of the hook in line with the eyes of the herring;

Feed the hook sideways through the front end of the body;

The line should now pull through the eyes and hold the hook firmly in place.

Works for me. Good luck @thousandyards. Let us know how you go.

1594545755_herringrig.jpg.00a2c47397bc6dcf7b7411831cfb4849.jpg

my advice for the seaway is to use a sliding rig with sacrificial sinker  on a line lighter line than the main. If fishing on any run, most running sinker rigs will wind up getting swept into the rocks or mesh of previous lost rigs. I havent fished seaway in while, but im familiar withit and i use the sliding rig with good success the brissy river (ie deep, snaggy water withsome run to it) for threadies. Look up sliding rigs on youtube - better explained with video than here. 

the other advantage with the sliding rig it is much gentler on soft baits like herring since the bait is not flung out with the sinker. I would also try to rig the herring in a way that minimises spinning, since the bait sits about a metre off the bottom and in the current a bit more. 

On 11/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, ellicat said:

Feed the hook right through the eyes;

Measure where the hook needs to go sideways through the body with the eye of the hook in line with the eyes of the herring;

Feed the hook sideways through the front end of the body;

The line should now pull through the eyes and hold the hook firmly in place.

Works for me. Good luck @thousandyards. Let us know how you go.

1594545755_herringrig.jpg.00a2c47397bc6dcf7b7411831cfb4849.jpg

Thanks heaps @ellicat! That's my go to for half pillies so I'll give it a crack. It's my first time fishing the seaway like this so we'll see how we go!

On 11/12/2021 at 10:55 PM, Potatoes said:

my advice for the seaway is to use a sliding rig with sacrificial sinker  on a line lighter line than the main. If fishing on any run, most running sinker rigs will wind up getting swept into the rocks or mesh of previous lost rigs. I havent fished seaway in while, but im familiar withit and i use the sliding rig with good success the brissy river (ie deep, snaggy water withsome run to it) for threadies. Look up sliding rigs on youtube - better explained with video than here. 

the other advantage with the sliding rig it is much gentler on soft baits like herring since the bait is not flung out with the sinker. I would also try to rig the herring in a way that minimises spinning, since the bait sits about a metre off the bottom and in the current a bit more. 

Like this one @Potatoes ??