Garmin Active Captain question

Old Scaley

I have been using the Active Captain app since I bought my Garmin SV 95 unit a couple of years ago. It has been great, especially when I am out with other AFOers and I can pinch their spots and make sure they are not making me fish in a green zone. I have noticed lately that the app has stopped displaying navigation markers (beacons etc) and restricted areas like green zones. It ilso only displaying a minimum of contour lines and no depth info. This is on my iPhone 11 running iOS 15.6. It works fine on my old iPad Air that only runs iOS 12.5.5.  

I haven’t found any help on the Garmin website or basic searches. I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Didn’t help but lost all my waypoints, which I got back by syncing with the plotter. Checked all the settings and turned the radio buttons off and back on to no avail. I know we have people on here with the same product and a few nerds (looking at you @Hweebe - no offence intended). Any ideas?

7 hours ago, Junky said:

Hey @Old Scaley.

Stupid question.  

Have you checked the map detail settings when in the map screen?

Sounds to me like it's in "least" setting, instead of "normal" or "most". 

Thanks @junky.  I am in the chart screen, go to chart settings and all relevant radio buttons are on, same as the old iPad. I don’t seem to have a normal, most or lease setting?  Different version maybe?

Edit. Scratch that. I found the setting you mean under chart detail and it is in normal mode on both devices. Tried least and most for shits and giggles, but no luck there either.

Edited by Old Scaley
New info.

7 hours ago, Alex2505 said:

has it been changed from nav charts to fishing charts maybe?

check the layered menu 2nd down top right under distance.

Thanks for the response. It is the same on both charts. IPad has full detail on both, but missing detail on iPhone. Might have to bite the bullet and contact Garmin.

On 19/08/2022 at 5:06 PM, Old Scaley said:

I have been using the Active Captain app since I bought my Garmin SV 95 unit a couple of years ago. It has been great, especially when I am out with other AFOers and I can pinch their spots and make sure they are not making me fish in a green zone. I have noticed lately that the app has stopped displaying navigation markers (beacons etc) and restricted areas like green zones. It ilso only displaying a minimum of contour lines and no depth info. This is on my iPhone 11 running iOS 15.6. It works fine on my old iPad Air that only runs iOS 12.5.5.  

I haven’t found any help on the Garmin website or basic searches. I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. Didn’t help but lost all my waypoints, which I got back by syncing with the plotter. Checked all the settings and turned the radio buttons off and back on to no avail. I know we have people on here with the same product and a few nerds (looking at you @Hweebe - no offence intended). Any ideas?

Thanks for the complement 🙂 

Can you check if you have logged into the app using the same credentials as the ipad on the iphone.

What you are describing says to me the Navionics subscription is not registered on the iphone and may be the generic base map.

2 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Thanks for the complement 🙂 

Can you check if you have logged into the app using the same credentials as the ipad on the iphone.

What you are describing says to me the Navionics subscription is not registered on the iphone and may be the generic base map.

Thanks @Hweebe. The login is my email and the password is the same on both devices. But you have given me an idea. I changed phones not long ago from a 6s to iPhone 11. I am wondering if I can only get the full functionality on 2 devices? I have kept the old phone so I will charge it up and uninstall the app and see if that makes any difference.

28 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks @Hweebe. The login is my email and the password is the same on both devices. But you have given me an idea. I changed phones not long ago from a 6s to iPhone 11. I am wondering if I can only get the full functionality on 2 devices? I have kept the old phone so I will charge it up and uninstall the app and see if that makes any difference.

Before you uninstall the app - check if it still works on your old iphone 6. 

And instead of uninstalling the app on the iphone 6 - See if there is a button to "log out"

Also check what version the App is in the iphone 6. We may be able to dowload that old version onto you 11 in case its because of the new app

• 1 month later...