Navionics Boating app on an iPad

GregOug

I am thinking of using an iPad as a second gps when I go out. I already have the Navionics Boating app but as I understand it you need an iPad with cellular capabilities to take a SIM card, so that you have access to the charts live. Has anyone used an iPad in this manner, and does the auto routing function work out on the water? Is it a good second gps option or am I better off getting a second dedicated gps/plotter? Any suggestions and comments welcome. 
cheers

Greg

20 hours ago, GregOug said:

I am thinking of using an iPad as a second gps when I go out. I already have the Navionics Boating app but as I understand it you need an iPad with cellular capabilities to take a SIM card, so that you have access to the charts live. Has anyone used an iPad in this manner, and does the auto routing function work out on the water? Is it a good second gps option or am I better off getting a second dedicated gps/plotter? Any suggestions and comments welcome. 
cheers

Greg

Stand back! Stand back! Don’t rush me folks.

I can't answer the first part, but having two dual gps/sounder combos makes sense - use each one for either the gps or sounder but if one fails you have the other one that will do everything.

I have a Samsung tablet that I run the CMap app on. I also have the CMap app on my phone. They both do the same thing on each device. I used to take my tablet and hotspot it with the phone as I didn't have data for the tablet, but the only benefit was the screen size. The CMap app auto-routes, which is handy when you haven't been from A to B before, so that is the only benefit this method has over another gps/sounder unless you have one that can do this. The app sucks the battery fast - another reason to go a dedicated unit.

18 minutes ago, ellicat said:

I can't answer the first part, but having two dual gps/sounder combos makes sense - use each one for either the gps or sounder but if one fails you have the other one that will do everything.

I have a Samsung tablet that I run the CMap app on. I also have the CMap app on my phone. They both do the same thing on each device. I used to take my tablet and hotspot it with the phone as I didn't have data for the tablet, but the only benefit was the screen size. The CMap app auto-routes, which is handy when you haven't been from A to B before, so that is the only benefit this method has over another gps/sounder unless you have one that can do this. The app sucks the battery fast - another reason to go a dedicated unit.

Thanks. Although I would need a holder for the iPad anyway and could get a charger connection installed so it is charging while I use it. That should obviate the battery problem?

Depends where you plan to go and if there is mobile signal coverage.

I dabbled with an iphone / ipad (hot spotted) similar to Ellicat. It kills the battery on both the phone and ipad having the app and hotspot on with phone.

You could run a charger but both the iphone and ipad warmed up and ran hot with the app going (not sure what this would do to device longevity)

After trialling this setup I went the second chart plotter option (your old Lowrance HDS Live) for charting - If you have the console space I much prefer this setup.

Benefits:

• No cellular reception issues - reception with even Telstra in the bay can be patchy
  • No phone overheating issues
  • One less thing to remember to bring on the boat (because that list just keeps getting longer)

I haven't really found a need for auto routing in the bay so that would be one pro for the ipad setup.

My backup if the sounder dies on the water is the phone with cmaps and if all else fails a compass 😂

i used to always use Navionics app on my iphone in the boat. was fantastic and i had no issues all the way over to Moreton island.

alternatively, you could always get a pocket wifi. depending on who you are with at home, the provider can sometimes throw one your way which links to your home internet deal for free. otherwise you can buy prepaid pocket wifi to just use for this. i wouldn't imagine it would use alot of data if it was just for Navionics? 

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/optus-4g-modem-50gb-zte-mf971rs4-optzte50gb

• 2 months later...