Chart Symbol On Garmin

Old Scaley

With the wind being the way it is, I have been spending a bit of time dreaming about fishing and looking at the chart to see where there may be opportunities when it settles a bit. For a while now I have been noticing a pink R symbol in a few paces on my maps and have no idea what it means. I have been through the manual and had a quick google search to no avail. So I thought I might as well waste your time as mine and ask if anyone here knows? Or maybe, Hamish, if you are not too busy with schoolwork, you might apply your superior search engine skills to this conundrum. Here is a screenshot showing the mystery symbol south west of Green Island. 

7507BD4E-C46C-462B-8708-2055CE735BDE.thumb.png.d14852867e3e3a62614e495fc94b83e2.png

Oops. What I meant to say was south-west of Harries. @Junky, the chart is whichever Cmap comes with the Garmin Unit. The screenshot comes from the ActiveCaptain app and I would need to fire up the gps unit to work out which version I am running, but I do update it regularly. Not really important to know what it is, just curious.

26 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Steve

I don't know if this means anything, but if you scroll down to the 'R' sections, there's various things it says in this PDF file.

Meet
Hangou
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bbm%3A978-94-011-7370-4%2F1.pdf

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Good try Hamish, but I found that one myself and it didn’t have the symbol. Thanks for having a crack.

45 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Oops. What I meant to say was south-west of Harries. @Junky, the chart is whichever Cmap comes with the Garmin Unit. The screenshot comes from the ActiveCaptain app and I would need to fire up the gps unit to work out which version I am running, but I do update it regularly. Not really important to know what it is, just curious.

Wow. 

I should pay more attention. I just zoomed in on the R. You can see harries in the top right. 

Most units will highlight the symbol if the cross hairs are on it. I guess if it doesn't come up with an explanation when you put the crosshairs on it then it's nothing to be concerned about. 

Garmin do have that R behind the name quite a bit. Perhaps it's a watermark type thing they have on their charts in case it's coppied.  

Thanks @Junky. Yes, I have gone off the trademark idea because they only seem to appear in Moreton Bay.  It is a strange one. I have checked where these symbols appear and they start just off Nudgee and then appear in seemingly random spots heading south. The last one I can see is between Lamb Island and Straddie. None of them are in green zones. Still a mystery.