Rigging for offshore kayak fishing + quick trip report

longhairedwahoo

30lb is a good all round diameter in the bay. Before the advent of braid running straight mono to hook was normal.

The ganged hook will give you some protection for mackeral, i don't use wire in the bay, better hookup rate without it imho.

Just wondering if you plan to troll baits whether you would benefit from a swivel (reduce line twist) to fluoro (and fluoro benefits)

Cheers for the advice legends. Fairly new to trolling on the yak so will defintely take your advice on the swivel though have seen gangs where the first hook comes with one already rigged straight to it so might just go with them for simplicity on the water. Also just thought I'd clarify that I have been doing all my fishing offshore of straddie, so am outside the bay but I think all the advice would still be the same

Go as light as possible. I think people fish way too heavy for snapper/mackeral.

My equal PB came on 10lb braid/16lb leader and i've even caught 60cm fish on 6lb/12lb.

I use 15lb/20lb for plastics/metals and 30/40lb for livies.

You will get more bites and lose the odd fish but i'd rather hook them then not at all.

Lot more fun too.

• 2 months later...