Land based shark fishing

Bob9863

I think sharks especially land based are highly underrated as a sport fish. They have enormous power and speed, some even jump from the water, they are one of the best fighting fish around and they are long fights too. 

They definitely deserve a better reputation as a sports fish and as a table fish. Catching the ones around the 1m mark with medium spinning or overhead gear is a hell of a lot of fun for some great eating too. 

11 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

I think sharks especially land based are highly underrated as a sport fish. They have enormous power and speed, some even jump from the water, they are one of the best fighting fish around and they are long fights too. 

They definitely deserve a better reputation as a sports fish and as a table fish. Catching the ones around the 1m mark with medium spinning or overhead gear is a hell of a lot of fun for some great eating too. 

I agreed with you that sharks are incredibly fun to catch and doesn't require complicated method or gears. 

They are also plenty in brisbane river and around.

Just wondering where you can find 1 metre long plus sharks? Are there any water depth preference?

In the locationa I fished I have only caught small (less than 70cm) sharks, so I am interested in where large shark frequent.

Thanks Bob!

As a former Victorian I do miss eating flake from the fish and chip shop. It’s usually gummy shark down there. Gummy shark are an often targeted species by fisherman down south, hence the name they are a bit easier to target than some of the toothy sharks. I agree bob about the sport fishing side of it, having caught gummies in the past they are an excellent sport fish. I have been told by a guy at work who eats shovel nose and says they are similar in eating to gummy 

On 14/01/2023 at 8:07 PM, ubnt said:

I agreed with you that sharks are incredibly fun to catch and doesn't require complicated method or gears. 

They are also plenty in brisbane river and around.

Just wondering where you can find 1 metre long plus sharks? Are there any water depth preference?

In the locationa I fished I have only caught small (less than 70cm) sharks, so I am interested in where large shark frequent.

Thanks Bob!

They like deep running channels IME more then anywhere else. Especially if there's structure or lots of food fish in the area. 

You can catch them most places where other fish are caught just by upping your gear and baits. 

River mouths and beach gutters are particularly good, but areas around rock walls really produce the goods too. 

I must admit, i have been struggling to catch some of the bigger models recently, I go out to target a larger model of shark using a big chunk of eel or even a whole mullet and the smaller ones seem to get to the bait first. Do you have any tips for eliminating the smaller fish? I've tried using 300lb wire  and a 2 16/0 hooks but they don't seem to be put off by it.