Barrel style reels

Cam1988

Gday everyone. I used to go fishing with my old man back in the day and I always preferred a lure. My 4 year old got a rod for Christmas so I am going to get back into it with him.

I recall my dad buying me a special rod and reel for lures and the reel was a barrel style that sat horizontally and the line came straight off and down the guide rings. I remember having to keep my thumb on it while casting or it would birds nest.

Having just been down to the local sporting shop I was surprised to see no reels of this design at all. Is there something inherently wrong with the reel design? I remember thinking it was great. If they still exist does anyone have any experience with them and know what they are actually called 😅

Cheers,

Cam.

Baitcaster or overhead reels are a bit more difficult to use than spinning reels and would be very difficult for a 4 year old (just my opinion).  I wonder if your old man had you using a closed face reel? Google it and you will see it looks a bit like like a barrel. And you don’t see them in many tackle shops. @Ed. is right about rods for different reels. Any decent tackle shop should be able to match the right reel to your son’s rod.  Good luck. I hope you enjoy teaching him to fish.

47 minutes ago, Ed. said:

If you are going to get a reel, and you want to get an overhead/baitcaster, just make sure that the rod is suited for that style of reel. Chances are that the rod your son got for a pressie is probably or most likely a spinning reel type of rod, rods are built different to suit each type of reel.

Thank you. I got an unweighted inline spinner lure to chuck on my sons little 4 foot rod and I'll be keeping the standard reel.

I am looking at the baitcaster for myself. Good to know not to buy a reel on its own for any old pole though as there are plenty of old rods available in my dads shed when I get around to driving there to collect a few.

I appreciate everyone's help. I've been looking at rods, reels, lines, lures and fish in my area for about 6 hours straight now. Rainbow trout, brown trout, tench (whatever that is), estuary perch, yellowbelly and redfin.