Oyster reef,,,,

I was wondering what I was snagging on in no man's land a few months ago.....now I know.

The wise thing to do would be to incorporate these with other artificial reefs.

If the goverment was serious they would give the green light to a continuous narrow artificial reef along the edges of all trawler boundaries. This will essentially create highways for fish migration and habitat that would not be isolated and flogged to death. The further apart we can spread the rec sector fishing spots, the less pressure there will be on the fishery.

We have thousands of tons of concrete being either smashed up or being used in landfill these days. concrete is a proven good substrate for reefs to build upon.

Imagine a continuous reef 2m wide from Skirmish Point to down past Cleveland....how much benefit will that aid the fishery?

I played a little bit many years ago with the idea of putting shaped structures in prawn ponds to aid with circulation and aeration efficiency whilst adding surface area for shellfish and beneficial bacterial growth.

It appeared to have merritt for the particular purpose in that system. That system however was one that was subject to relatively intensive human input and was "resettable" (given a six month cropping period).

Surface area with water flow for shellfish/ bacterial growth generally seems to be a good thing for overall aquatic system health. 

Anything we do in a natural system (that we can't reset) with x amount of variables that we possibly/probably don't even know about yet, should likely be done gradually and on a small scale to begin with.

Just so happens this program seems to be doing that. 

I like the concept.