TD Advantage Rod

Dan23

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a TD Advantage 7' Spin 10-17lb to go with my 2500 Twin Power with 15lb Braid.

Has anyone tried one of these out? They look schmick and I might go buy one on Monday but just wondering if anyone has an opinion?

Will mainly be used for chasing bigger fish on 60-80mm lures and casting slugs off rock walls. I know the Twin Power is a little small for such an application but the drag is strong and I think it can handle it.

Any other suggestions while you're at it?

I'm going to do the same thing as you Dan with my new Twin Power. I've got some 4 and 15lb Braid on it now and for the heavier braid, I'm eventually going to buy a heavier rod. I'm thinking of getting a Berkley Dropshot of around 3-6kg or something. At BCF they are selling them for $89 so thet're pretty cheap:)

Yeah, that might be the go. On monday I'll go around to a few places to have a feel of the rods. It's hard to tell just looking at specs how the rod will behave and feel. The advantage would be nice but if I can find a cheaper rod that compares then that leaves 100 odd bucks for tackle. :)

Thos TD Advantage rod really are nice looking though, really nice.:cheer:

Dan23 wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a TD Advantage 7' Spin 10-17lb to go with my 2500 Twin Power with 15lb Braid.

Has anyone tried one of these out? They look schmick and I might go buy one on Monday but just wondering if anyone has an opinion?

Will mainly be used for chasing bigger fish on 60-80mm lures and casting slugs off rock walls. I know the Twin Power is a little small for such an application but the drag is strong and I think it can handle it.

Any other suggestions while you're at it?

Yeah Dan my mrs got me one for christmas I christianed it at the classic on a couple of squire and it does the job well, made it that bit easier to pull them out from those pylons and I hope to chuck some slick rigs and lures at monduran with and test it on some barra it casts well matched with a 3000sol

So I'd decided not to get the Advantage and get a Revo inshore instead.

Went into the tackle store with kev and they didn't have any inshores in stock but I found the TD Advantage 10-17 sitting there and was really cheap! I had a play and was in love immediately. I forgot all about baitcasters and bought it straight away.

Met up with Faulked at you know where and gave it a run. Was really blown away by its performance. Still casts reasonably far but is really stiff and unbelievably sensitive. I can't get over how much info that suave looking handle feed to you about what's going on at the end of your line.

I am really happy with it.

Oh and after playing around with various lures I started "fishing".

I'll let Faulked tell the rest of the story if he wants :P

Here's a pic of the new rod with my TP attached. Looks funny but works brilliantly and balances perfectly.

[img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/flatty.jpg

post-1402-144598438343_thumb.jpg

Power finesse fishing is sweet. I forgot how good it feels to fish with total confidence. Plus in Brisbane's filthy waterways the fish can't see your heavy leader so you never lose lures!

Still love my finesse setup though, but for Brisbane's dodgy terrain it'll be power fishing all the way for me now.

yeah that was a good call eh?B)

On the rod, for anyone interested the extra long handle really counterbalances the rod to make it feel weightless. It is also great for double handed power casts and also that bit of extra control on shorter casts. Feel like a big double handed sword or something.:)

I thought I had a problem with the balance point being slightly too far forward but then I took off my lure (Jackal Chubby) and the blank and reel balanced perfectly at the grip. A 3000 sized reel would probably feel even better but my 2500 is still really nice on it even though it looks a bit undersized.

It's exactly what i was looking for. It's light enough to fish bream lures right through to big Slick Rigs and long diving minnows. I reckon I could easily use it to target anything from Bream and Bass to Jacks and Cod through to a lot of bay species like Snapper. I might get a bigger reel for it one day just for the extra line capacity in case I go and chase Tuna or something.

So yeah, I'm really happy :)

Tim a wrote:

Cool, sol is firmly seated on the fantasista, best looking combo I've ever seen. I'm thinking of selling my starlo stix 4-8kg and getting something a bit more versatile like your advantage tho.

If we meet up at Schultz one day you can try mine out if you want. A slightly bigger reel would suit it if you have one.

Only thing I wrong with it is it looks so awesome my Twin Power looks mundane attached to it.:laugh: The handle isn't just for looks though it feels perfect.

Only gripe is my hand got a little slippery after a while from sweat, but most people don't have clammy hands like my Nerdy self.:dry:

Mack_attack wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
Oh and Kev got a whole:laugh: bunch of these on his usual sx48 + 20lb leader setup lol [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/breambo.jpg

How big was that one Kevin?

34cm, i kept the fish:) and measured it when getting home. so it hopefully is 35 or 36 when it was alive if i push a tail a bit:laugh:

Dan23 wrote:

We had no measuring stick. I reckon it was somewhere low 30s. Not bad for Schultz. The one he dropped was bigger.

i have checked the chubby deep original hooks on the sx48 i dropped some fish with, 4 out of the 6 hooks r opened:unsure: they r still sharper than new owner cultivas, just tooooooo soft for power finese fishing:P

Fisher_90 wrote:

Are the baitcaster ones pistol grip or the same style of split grip? Also do you know if their is a next size up on 10-17 lb say like 15-20lb that would suit a 4000size reel?

Looking at motackle the picture indicates the baitcasters also have the casting handle extension. Check the link below. It also seems that the 10-17lb is the heaviest in the spin but the BCs go heavier. I'd say a 4000 size might be a bit big on the 10-17lb but then again a 2500 is a bit small. In the 15-20lb there's the snapper rods if that's what you want it for or there's a saltist in that heavier range.

I also found a really nice ATC rod Ando showed me that I nearly bought but the Daiwa was too good to pass up at around the same price.

/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=3316

Dan23 wrote:

Tim a wrote:
Cool, sol is firmly seated on the fantasista, best looking combo I've ever seen. I'm thinking of selling my starlo stix 4-8kg and getting something a bit more versatile like your advantage tho.

If we meet up at Schultz one day you can try mine out if you want. A slightly bigger reel would suit it if you have one.

Only thing I wrong with it is it looks so awesome my Twin Power looks mundane attached to it.:laugh: The handle isn't just for looks though it feels perfect.

Only gripe is my hand got a little slippery after a while from sweat, but most people don't have clammy hands like my Nerdy self.:dry:

Alright, I'll be there a fair bit over the next few weeks I'd guess. I've got a bit of a jump from the sol 2000 to symetre 4000. Maybe sell that aswell and get a daiwa 3000 reel that I'll decide on later.

cheers

Archived