Baroon is fishie

Dinodadog

Slipped up to Baroon this am to see what it would be like later in the week, it was looking very fishie. Managed to get 11 before the mate was ready for home,he got 9 also.

It was hard to troll as there were bits of weed on the surface all over the area we covered, that being from the Maleny ramp upwards to the no go zone. I only picked up one on the troll but my mate got 5 on the troll, all were on RMG poltergeist 50 xdd 8mtrs in the purple colour. The other 10 of mine were taken on [yes you guessed it ] purple/silver s/bait in 3/8oz, cast to the edges of the weed beds,dropped to the bottom and slow rolled back with the tip of the rod in the water,trying to keep the s/bait as close to the bottom for as long as you can.

This was not one of my better days for this dam but I still managed a smile on my dial.

Have got some photos[not blacked out ] I'll share spot x with you.

Fish while you can

Dinodadog [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/baroon_001.JPG

post-1453-144598442282_thumb.jpg

STU worked for me should for you

Dan there is plenty of fish there even though a lot are small

Bommie it gets better

Rod try BCF ha ha

Ellicat yes its still a little dirty, hope it clears a bit more

Clawhamer that was out of the wind the main basin was a little choppy

Kev purple is always a winner

Lee should be good by then

Tom B yes sireee

He he, no, but I caught a wild one on a popper first try so that means shooting fish in a barrel should be easy. :laugh: :silly: :cheer:

Seriously though I just will be happy to get a couple of fish or even to be out trying a style of fishing that's totally new to me. I'll just be watching what everyone else is doing and try and do the same.

Watch out for Kev though, he reckons he's a bass pro lol:P

pcsolutionman wrote:

lol, I think the boaties are going to be seriously out numbered this trip. they couldnt come up with the fish when they had the numbers at awoonga so I somehow suspect we might have them covered :P :P :P

Lee

I reckon it will come down to experience of fishing baroon which I have never but the crawdad is in it own catorgory not boat or yak:P but I hope to still get a few shouldnt be much differnt to other impoundments:blink:

I fully expect to be outfished by the "Yak Bass Pro"! He would want to hang his head in shame if he didn't! :)

I just want a few, that will keep me more than happy!

Stu - yes and no, I know how to get more, (mind you that doesn't mean I'd get more!) I just dont like to troll! I prefer to cast lures at the edges.

The most rewarding style of fishing for me is to cast to the weeds or edges, but to get to these places I do a little bit of trolling along the way. Gives me a chance to wash the dust off a few lures, I also use this time to test the depth of any new lures I have purchased, by running the boat over decreasing depth till the lure starts hitting bottom, then I know next time I use that lure what depth to run it at.

Dan23 wrote:

Yeah, I do the same in the Kayak. Troll to the destination then cast then troll to the next spot. Maximum amount of time with a lure in the water.

Dan: Thats how i always fish Baroon. Always get fish on the troll in between spots as well, but prob get more casting. I think thats also most likely becuase i spend more time casting. Im sure if you trolled around allday you would clean up.

Also if you troll and get a fish its well worth trolling back over the same patch. There was one day up there i swear we could have just caught fish non stop doing this.

Angus

Tom B wrote:

well instead of trolling the schooled fish in the basin have you tried casting spinnerbaits and jackalls at them when they appear on the sounder, that usually works in other dams

Yeh I have done that before, got a few on ice jigs and lipless cranks but not as many as trolling deep divers, dont know why

Lee

maybe cos the trolled lures are in the fishes strike zone for longer.

one good technique to employ when trolling is if you have 2 guys in the boat trolling and one hooks up, the other guy can have a rod with a jackall or ice jig ready to go and cast it out in hope of a double hookup, works about 50% of the time whenevr ive tried it

Tom B wrote:

well instead of trolling the schooled fish in the basin have you tried casting spinnerbaits and jackalls at them when they appear on the sounder, that usually works in other dams

Thats how I got my two on the trip mentioned, finally got sick of seeing the blokes catching them in deeper water on the troll, moved over to deeper water until I found a school on the sounder, then dropped my faithful mat black G Vibe in and jigged a couple almost immediately.

Archived